• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Universal healthcare and personal responsibility

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
A thought just occured to me. I've often heard conservatives go on and on about "personal responsibility" and using it to argue against social welfare programs. Well if they care so much about personal responsibility then shouldn't that give them cause to be in favor of universal healthcare?

I mean think about it: It would greatly lower the number of people who go into debt because of health problems, which would certainly lower the number of people on welfare. On top of that it would mean that everyone would be able to get proper preventive care and early treatment of injuries and illnesses since lack of coverage and personal finances would no longer be an issue. As a result EVERYONE would have the power to take greater AND MORE EFFECTIVE personal responsibility for their health, leading to a nation of healthier individuals who are able to work harder and be more productive. People wouldn't have to worry about losing their jobs because they couldn't get proper treatment for a medical condition...

Giving universal healthcare would empower everyone to take greater "personal responsibility" for their health. So why is it that "the party of personal responsibility" is so against universal coverage and even uses the idea of personal responsibility to argue against it?

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
A thought just occured to me. I've often heard conservatives go on and on about "personal responsibility" and using it to argue against social welfare programs. Well if they care so much about personal responsibility then shouldn't that give them cause to be in favor of universal healthcare?

I mean think about it: It would greatly lower the number of people who go into debt because of health problems, which would certainly lower the number of people on welfare. On top of that it would mean that everyone would be able to get proper preventive care and early treatment of injuries and illnesses since lack of coverage and personal finances would no longer be an issue. As a result EVERYONE would have the power to take greater AND MORE EFFECTIVE personal responsibility for their health, leading to a nation of healthier individuals who are able to work harder and be more productive. People wouldn't have to worry about losing their jobs because they couldn't get proper treatment for a medical condition...

Giving universal healthcare would empower everyone to take greater "personal responsibility" for their health. So why is it that "the party of personal responsibility" is so against universal coverage and even uses the idea of personal responsibility to argue against it?

I've used that argument and I don't consider myself a conservative.

I'm a libertarian who works very hard and spends a good deal of my paycheck on health care for my family as is. I'm not receiving help from the government. I don't believe in excessive government intervention in my life, as I believe that I should be accepting personal responsibility for myself and my loved ones.

And whether you like to hear it or not, the truth of the freaking matter is that a lot of Americans who struggle financially and can't afford health insurance might be in better predicaments if they embraced a different mindset. I don't blanket label. I don't claim that this applies to EVERYONE who can't afford health insurance.

I simply speak for myself, my own family and my own reality. I resent people who expect me to buy into government programs that don't sit well with me and then accuse me of being uncaring as a result.

A lot of women that I've encountered who are struggling the greatest are struggling because they have made really poor choices. They've had children, too early and neglected their education to pursue the type of career needed for the lifestyle that affords security and comfort. God forbid I bring this up in conversation. I'm cruel. I'm unfair. I'm not looking at issues correctly. Whatever. I'm not blind to what I see daily.

Health insurance isn't this huge problem when you can afford it or have access to it through your job. Over 80% of Americans have access to health insurance, as is.

Last edited:

Awoon

Conservatives wanna conquer the world outside America. Inflated military budgets, Swiss bank accounts and full control of human life (they wanna pick and choose which countries that have the assets to save). But in America their agenda is fear, hate, and separation of the country. Human life other then conservative thought is meaningless to them.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Conservatives wanna conquer the world outside America. Inflated military budgets, Swiss bank accounts and full control of human life (they wanna pick and choose which countries that have the assets to save). But in America their agenda is fear, hate, and separation of the country. Human life other then conservative thought is meaningless to them.

How on earth can you blame dissention, greed and fear mongering on conservatives alone? Liberals are as guilty for our country's problems as conservatives. I tire of seeing fingers pointing from either direction. Those who are genuinely liberal and genuinely conservative, support ideals that are harmful to the health and longevity of our nation.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
As a result EVERYONE would have the power to take greater AND MORE EFFECTIVE personal responsibility for their health
The working population paying for someone's healthcare is not that individual taking personal responsibility for their health.