• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

United States Southern Conjure Traditions

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Old Style Conjure **

I am seriously trying to find traditions that my family could have practiced even though they dont tell us much living where they live. This is the closest site that doesnt seem as nonesense as many others Ive found. However, its one that you take it as it is.

Im more interested in the history and the ancestral part but the practices are supposed to be handed down. Self-created traditions arent really considered such; and, we do what is right for us just as any other practice that uses this type of magic. Nothing fancy or special in general; however, as a start of learning about my ancestors, youd have to forgive this is special to me.

I know there arent many people here that intereact here to which share my goals to know these type of practices as they are personal. Yet, I know many Pagans who practice magic have a lot of similarities in the practices even if its not the historcical part itself.

I guess you can say Im starting to be an solitary reconstructionist of these traditions that are not specifically native to the Virginia area. Its a start.

:leafwind:

I'll say upfront I really dont have a point and direct question but more of a mystic experience, if you like or realization of the path I wish to structure my practices around.

Im not talking about whose authentic and who is not. To say that point blank too.

I wonder where to really start. I mean I talked with a Santero because he is familar with African tradition conjure but not from the US and he gave me some tips. We are decedent from slaves but not from the same place as Santeria. Yet, the Hoodoo thats on the site she says its deeply mixed with Christianity and thats parting a iron taste to my journey.

She (and others) use the Bible in their prayers as they do conjure. I wonder what type of prayers that I can use (some not self-created) that would be a reconstruct of those used in Christian Psalms and Solomon etc. Id like to use prayers related to the Earth; and then again, if I were to reconstruct a practice here thats not native hear, its not Earth focused. I dont like sycronistic as much because when mixing practices I personally get confused in what is respectful and what is not. Thats just me.

I know many would say go what I feel is best and all that jazz. Good advice and it would be nice to find someone who has similar struggles in reconstructing their own path from where they are from or called to.

Maybe some people who focus on their ancestors (although I asked in another thread but more in addition to what you practice as that is a huge part of Hoodoo (I dont think its called that down south) as many are Crhristian practice.

Im sort of at a lost even though I have a start literally and spiritually. Where to go from here as in building an relationship witht he spirits and ancestors thats hard.

That and if I were to reconstruct, Id have to find reconcilence in trying to believe in god or a higher power as that is a huge importance in the faith in addition to ancestral reverence.

A step at a time.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
There are others who are into this stuff. I would strongly recommend subscribing to the podcast "New World Witchery" and checking out the related blog, because it deals directly with what you're talking about here. One of the hosts has a strong research background and it shows in the material he writes and presents.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
There are others who are into this stuff. I would strongly recommend subscribing to the podcast "New World Witchery" and checking out the related blog, because it deals directly with what you're talking about here. One of the hosts has a strong research background and it shows in the material he writes and presents.

Thank you. I didnt get the alert. I'll take a look. Dont know if many on RF are familar or into this?

Hm. Looks interesting. I guess witchcraft kinda centers all back around to Eureope, really?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I wouldn't say that witchcraft centers on Europe, given that the practice of magic/spellcraft is found (to my knowledge) in all cultures throughout the globe spanning all recorded historical eras. The term "witchcraft" isn't necessarily used to label these practices, but they're present and typically connected to the indigenous religions/cultures of an area. Traditions like this were frequently oral, not literal, which is part of why it can be difficult to track down authentic information about them. Best to dig in to the academic literature of cultural anthropology and in particular folklore (which is some of what Cory does at NWW).