• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unhealthy Obsessions.....Healthy Ones Too

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I am a recovering engineer. I was....er, am perhaps the worst kind, ie, a designer.
I design things.
I always have.
If something else is already designed, then I modify it....often until it doesn't even work.

I recently found a newly designed & soon to be released folding bike (Helix).
It's a geek's dream....sophisticated novel technology, beautiful, & better than anything before.
I've spent hours designing & redesigning parts of it.
(This is mostly in me own head with me eyes closed.)
This is sort of fun, but mostly it's just an unavoidable compulsion.

This generally doesn't adversely interfere with life, but I can see how it could.
(My biggest mistake ever was getting out of engineering, where I got my daily fix.)
Any other obsessives or compulsives out there?

Eliab ben Benjamin

Premium Member
Mine also Engineering/Technology, Biomedical Engineer ,
i repair Life support equipment and modify (improve)
and Invent during sleep, odd really, the Dr. may request an adaptation
in the daytime, i tell him impossible and then in my sleep it gets solved
i awake with a clear diagram and parts list ... so far 7 inventions

Jumi

I'm pretty obsessive. I could easily see myself doing one thing only besides eating and sleeping if it were possible. Luckily my obsessions change every now and then and range from physical activities to problem solving.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I am a recovering engineer. I was....er, am perhaps the worst kind, ie, a designer.
I design things.
I always have.
If something else is already designed, then I modify it....often until it doesn't even work.

It's a geek's dream....sophisticated novel technology, beautiful, & better than anything before.

This generally doesn't adversely interfere with life, but I can see how it could.
(My biggest mistake ever was getting out of engineering, where I got my daily fix.)
What obsession? Aren't we supposed to spend all our time making (more or less) pointless posts here on RF? Even when I should be getting ready and going to work?

morphesium

I design things.
I always have.

Finally, here is someone who pushes his brain to the limit - keep working/ imagining.:)
Good luck for you.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

My father used to do that. For some reason known only to him, which he took with him to his grave, he used to cut the plugs off appliances and splice new ones on. He used to re-engineer and retrofit other things that didn't need re-engineering or retrofitting. Then he'd curse that my mother or I broke it when it didn't work. o_O

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I have OCPD... Obsessive–compulsive personality disorder. Do the math. :p

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
My father used to do that. For some reason known only to him, which he took with him to his grave, he used to cut the plugs off appliances and splice new ones on. He used to re-engineer and retrofit other things that didn't need re-engineering or retrofitting. Then he'd curse that my mother or I broke it when it didn't work. o_O
Sounds like Red Green. Or the guy from Home Improvement. Or the guys on "What could possibly go wrong?" Or Mythbusters. Or the BBC Top Gear presenters. Great entertainment, mostly.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I skip the cursing part.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I can pour foundation and set concrete block or brick...
put up stud walls shingle houses, dry wall the interior

I can take the dent out of you Cadillac and make it look like nothing happened.

If you like knives I can make for you a really nice one!

I can teach you martial art......and not that sissy point system junk.

Toolmaker by trade....and I can design AND build whatever you need.

I am underpaid, rarely appreciated, and frowned on by the slackers.

My newest hobby....sewing.
The Chinese make everything we buy now.....including our pants.

Well, NOT MINE!

morphesium

To the limit?
I just might be the laziest obsessive on the planet.
You speak way too highly of me.
Sorry for the delay.
Actually, I consider every one a potential Einstein in their respective field they love to work. Of course sometimes they make blunders (occasionally of unprecedented scale) but then Einstein himself said he made a lot of (of course, Einsteinian) blunders.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
At 4pm on Friday, Helix started shipping bikes around the world to the first Kickstarter backers.
I'm in line to get mine in July, but the owner is amenable to expediting mine in time for the June
antique engine show. (I ride folding bikes around the grounds when not on a forklift.)
Helix - The New Standard In Folding Bikes
DSC_0142_edited_350x.jpg

DSC_0148_edited_550x.jpg

Thief

Rogue Theologian
At 4pm on Friday, Helix started shipping bikes around the world to the first Kickstarter backers.
I'm in line to get mine in July, but the owner is amenable to expediting mine in time for the June
antique engine show. (I ride folding bikes around the grounds when not on a forklift.)
Helix - The New Standard In Folding Bikes
DSC_0142_edited_350x.jpg

DSC_0148_edited_550x.jpg
so.....riding a folding bike is more manly than riding a forklift?

all the while wearing a skirt?

you have sought counseling.....have you not?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Bikes are not only faster,
they don't use up any propane.

Ventilation.

Well, I do offer counselling.
What's your problem?
post a selfie.....and EVERYONE
will see the problem

no wait.....you'll get banned

better yet .....just stop posting

Thief

Rogue Theologian
as for unhealthy obsessions.....

amaretto and chocolate milk
goes down like a milk shake

do not follow my example

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
post a selfie.....and EVERYONE
will see the problem

no wait.....you'll get banned

better yet .....just stop posting
Quit?
No....I don't want to disappoint my legions of fans.
But I have cut back on posting 4.9% lately.