• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Understanding the holy scriptures is impossible unless God gives you the interpretation

Dan From Smithville

Monsters! Monsters from the id! Forbidden Planet
Staff member
Premium Member
Even though it can comical at first, the continued transference can annoying pretty quick.
Even I can agree and find it destroys any potential learning when the persistence turns it from a discussion to a pi***ng contest.

The only point I got from this thread is that every believer feels they know the one true truth, but have no way to support that belief for others. I knew that already.

That and this one truth varies a lot. It seems to depend on the disposition of the holder and not on some objective piece of evidence or means to demonstrate that truth.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Hey, you lasted a lot longer than me.
I had to stop responding to him once it dawned on me I was merely using him for cheap target practice.
Unfortunately I try to help the ignorant too often. I should realize that is an impossible task since their ignorance often is their own choice. I would say that very few posters here qualify as being stupid. They are generally an intelligent group of posters. But many make themselves look that way when they make foolish mistakes and refuse to learn from their major screw ups.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Even I can agree and find it destroys any potential learning when the persistence turns it from a discussion to a pi***ng contest.

The only point I got from this thread is that every believer feels they know the one true truth, but have no way to support that belief for others. I knew that already.

That and this one truth varies a lot. It seems to depend on the disposition of the holder and not on some objective piece of evidence or means to demonstrate that truth.
This thread makes me wonder why those who agree with the OP premise think that they will be able to do anything other than make themselves look foolish trying to make those who do not have gods permission to understand, understand.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
If it was the only reference alone perhaps but not when you have three sources from from the JEWS, ROMANS, and CHRISTIANS all verifying the same things. This is the real reason the proves the biblical record not one historical account. It is the collective evidence, not one source.
All verifying what same thing? I have lost track among all the cheap shots.

There is very little evidence outside of the Bible. The most it can corroborate is that Christ existed. This fact does not inhibit belief in Christ or His messge, though arguing about it can turn nasty. That certainly isn't in keeping with the actions of Christ from the Bible.

McBell

Unfortunately I try to help the ignorant too often. I should realize that is an impossible task since their ignorance often is their own choice. I would say that very few posters here qualify as being stupid. They are generally an intelligent group of posters. But many make themselves look that way when they make foolish mistakes and refuse to learn from their major screw ups.
You cannot teach someone something they do not want to learn.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
This thread makes me wonder why those who agree with the OP premise think that they will be able to do anything other than make themselves look foolish trying to make those who do not have gods permission to understand, understand.
Threads like this probably end up being much more divisive than anything.

Just because someone claims to have had it all explained by God does not make that so. How anyone misses that point is beyond me.

I cannot demonstrate it didn't happen, but they can't demonstrate it did.

3rdAngel

For me I think time will tell who is right and who is wrong about many things that we believe. To be honest with you though I would not want to be in the shoes of many who do not believe, if the scriptures are true. According to the scriptures only a fool says in his heart there is no God. You as an athiest cannot prove that there is no God. So something worth thinking about I guess.

Last edited:

3rdAngel

Just because someone claims to have had it all explained by God does not make that so. How anyone misses that point is beyond me.

No one has it all explained. Though that does not mean that no one has a knowledge of the truth either IMO.

McBell

I agree.

I suspect it has more to do with their thinking they have an ace in the hole than honestly believing they have had god explain anything.

Same here.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I believe as you possibly would that God reveals his truth to those who believe and follow him. That does not mean that person knows all the truth but only what God has revealed to them IMO. Do you believe the same?
I believe that whatever truth I feel I have can be related, but not demonstrated. Do you know that you have even a piece of truth or do you believe that on faith? if you feel it is demonstrated as truth, how did you demonstrate that to yourself? How were all oth3r possibilities eliminated?

It is my experience that a Christian that asks questions of some will only receive their disdain and will be declared not a true Christian. I have never seen evidence of the ability of any other to know that as truth, but it does not stop some.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
This is why I made the point earlier in the thread that both those who believe in God and those who do not believe in God base their belief on faith.
I disagree. Not seeing evidence of something and paying it no mind on that basis is different then claiming to know something does not exist. The former is a rational conclusion based on evidence (or the lack of it for consideration). The latter is more akin to faith-based. In my experience, many atheists have reported the evidence-based position, eliminating their view as faith-based.

3rdAngel

I believe that whatever truth I feel I have can be related, but not demonstrated. Do you know that you have even a piece of truth or do you believe that on faith? if you feel it is demonstrated as truth, how did you demonstrate that to yourself? How were all oth3r possibilities eliminated?

It is my experience that a Christian that asks questions of some will only receive their disdain and will be declared not a true Christian. I have never seen evidence of the ability of any other to know that as truth, but it does not stop some.

For me I believe it depends what your benchmark for truth is. As a christian I believe that benchmark is the Word of God. Christian live by faith and not by sight according to the scriptures. Anything outside of that benchmark is simply a distraction IMO. I can know and believe, I have the truth of God's Word for example and that God will be my guide and teacher if I prayerfully seek him for it through his Word as this is what he has promised me *JOHN 14:26- JOHN 16:13; JOHN 17:17 but there are conditions on these promises of continuing and following God's Word *JOHN 8:31-36. It depends what your benchmark is for truth IMO Dan. Mine is the scriptures. What about yours?

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I agree.

I suspect it has more to do with their thinking they have an ace in the hole than honestly believing they have had god explain anything.

Same here.
As a believer, I have to wonder why God would grant me a high IQ and a thirst for knowledge, if he only wants me to close my mind and accept without questioning or believe others without questioning.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
For me I believe it depends what your benchmark for truth is. As a christian I believe that benchmark is the Word of God. Christian live by faith and not by sight according to the scriptures. Anything outside of that benchmark is simply a distraction IMO. I can know and believe, I have the truth of God's Word for example and that God will be my guide and teacher if I prayerfully seek him for it through his Word as this is what he has promised me *JOHN 14:26- JOHN 16:13; JOHN 17:17 but there are conditions on these promises of continuing and following God's Word *JOHN 8:31-36. It depends what your benchmark is for truth IMO Dan. Mine is the scriptures. What about yours?
Do you not think that this is circular reasoning?

3rdAngel

I disagree. Not seeing evidence of something and paying it no mind on that basis is different then claiming to know something does not exist. The former is a rational conclusion based on evidence (or the lack of it for consideration). The latter is more akin to faith-based. In my experience, many atheists have reported the evidence-based position, eliminating their view as faith-based.

For me it depends how it is argued. For example the definition of atheism is a disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods. It is a belief that does not believe in a God or God's yet there is no evidence that God does not exist for this belief. Therefore it can be argued that those who believe this way are living by faith just as the Christian but in the opposite direction IMO. If I am honest I believe that evidence can be argued for a God and intelligent design within creation through Science just as those who would disagree can argue against these claims. It can be argued that there is evidence to believe one way or the other. Now not both view can be correct which you would agree but this is not how one finds and knows God IMO and is simply a distraction that misses the mark. The wisdom of this world is foolishness with God and through wordly wisdom the wise will never find God according to the scriptures.

Last edited: