• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Uncle Ben,Aunt Jemima,Cream of Wheat and Penny Lane

Mike.Hester

I surmise that I come from an older generation, but I can assure everyone that the above brand names are iconic.No one would think of eating anything but the Aunt Jemina pancake mix. The same with Uncle Bens Rice. Its reputation was excellent and you always got a quality product. Now In England, Penny Lane has come under scrutiny as a racist walk way for slavery. It might be noted there is no evidence to that effect. It cost a penny to cross a small bridge. Now Nancy has ordered portraits of past speakers who had connections to the Confederacy removed without any discussion. Cambridge University now has vowed to remove the statue of Cecil Rhodes for his racist past. It is clear that radical leftist wants to rewrite history.
Pelosi orders removal of portraits of four House speakers from US Capitol ahead of Juneteenth

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I surmise that I come from an older generation, but I can assure everyone that the above brand names are iconic.No one would think of eating anything but the Aunt Jemina pancake mix. The same with Uncle Bens Rice. Its reputation was excellent and you always got a quality product. Now In England, Penny Lane has come under scrutiny as a racist walk way for slavery. It might be noted there is no evidence to that effect. It cost a penny to cross a small bridge. Now Nancy has ordered portraits of past speakers who had connections to the Confederacy removed without any discussion. Cambridge University now has vowed to remove the statue of Cecil Rhodes for his racist past. It is clear that radical leftist wants to rewrite history.
Pelosi orders removal of portraits of four House speakers from US Capitol ahead of Juneteenth

It could perhaps also be seen as the more right-wing wanting to preserve such history, when those involved were more likely probably to have been right-wing themselves (the slavery aspect) - but not in all cases - since such things were so widespread. Does one want to be reminded of a (possibly bad) past or perhaps look into the future if we want to progress as nations?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
No one would think of eating anything but the Aunt Jemina pancake mix. The same with Uncle Bens Rice.
I typically make my own pancake mix. Bisquick is also very common for them. As is Krusties. And some others.
As for rice, I don't believe I've ever bought that brand.

It is clear that radical leftist wants to rewrite history.
Two questions:
1) How are you defining "radical left?"
2) Did the removal of Hitler statues rewrite history?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I think we better make a statue of Jack the Ripper quick so we don't forget how difficult and tricky serial killers can be. And Benedict Arnold so we don't forget the American Revolution was betrayed. Oh, and we need statues for Tuskegee, LSD experiments, MK Ultra, and all the other horrors and abuses at the hands of the medical and psychology fields. We must get statues of those now because it could be too disastrous if we forget.
If only we had books, and museums, and newspapers, and history classes, and people's journals, and historical artifacts then we could do so much better at preserving history and we might be able to finally move past this silly statue thing.

Mike.Hester

It could perhaps also be seen as the more right-wing wanting to preserve such history, when those involved were more likely probably to have been right-wing themselves (the slavery aspect) - but not in all cases - since such things were so widespread. Does one want to be reminded of a (possibly bad) past or perhaps look into the future if we want to progress as nations?
I would be the first to vote for the removal of pictures or memorials which reflect hatred or extreme racism, by democratic process not mob rule or without public discussion. The first that needs to be changed is Fort Benning, a rebel commander responsible for the deaths of loyal Americans.

Mike.Hester

I typically make my own pancake mix. Bisquick is also very common for them. As is Krusties. And some others.
As for rice, I don't believe I've ever bought that brand.

Two questions:
1) How are you defining "radical left?"
2) Did the removal of Hitler statues rewrite history?
COCO Pops Cereal is now the target of anti-racism pundits. Statues of Hitler? Well the USA does honors one of the greatest NAZI murders in history. Mr. Von Braun. I have seen photos of him dressed in his SS uniform and he was directly responsible for the death of thousand of people. None of the extreme left does not seem to mind.He is not the only NAZI American has saluted.Wernher von Braun - Wikipedia

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I remember the Beatles' song "Penny Lane." It didn't seem like it was about slavery, but who can say?

I guess Pelosi only just now found out that the U.S. had slavery. In a way, I welcome this, since it's only a matter of time before someone figures out that slavery was a money-making venture, just like all capitalist ventures. Soon, capitalism will be associated with slavery and come crashing down as well.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I would be the first to vote for the removal of pictures or memorials which reflect hatred or extreme racism, by democratic process not mob rule or without public discussion. The first that needs to be changed is Fort Benning, a rebel commander responsible for the deaths of loyal Americans.

Well public actions are often a substitute for inaction by the ruling government, but I'm not in favour of such either unless it is justly based, which it is in this case, since slavery is (and always will be) an inequitable practice such that we should recognise this.

Perhaps the issue here is that there is not much difference all too often between slavery and wage-slavery, and where the early industrialists made full use of such to get rich. Unions didn't have an easy ride to existence it should be noted. And that perhaps is why so many are uptight about the ridding of so many statues and connotations of those from the past - that it might show up the industrialists (who likely would have been Tories and right-wing) as being too exploitative, and of course which still occurs today in so many countries.

And by extension, we have the wealth gap, with so many apparently getting the larger share of any wealth created when they perhaps just don't deserve such. Is that why we seem to have a reactionary right-wing response to what seemingly is just basic common sense - that we have to honestly acknowledge our past and those who contributed to it, even if it is painful to do so?

I'd actually like to think there was a left-wing revolution going on now but I seriously doubt it - just that many are recognising the injustices that many endure today (the racial issues in the USA, and elsewhere), and that have made our pasts all too troublesome when inspected.

Is it really that bad to recognise such?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I don't think so. The slavery aspect, in those days, were promoted by the Democrats and the Republicans wanted it abolished.

Maybe it would be correct that the left want it removed to rewrite history so that they don't get blamed for promoting it?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I don't think so. The slavery aspect, in those days, were promoted by the Democrats and the Republicans wanted it abolished.

Maybe it would be correct that the left want it removed to rewrite history so that they don't get blamed for promoting it?

I think you have the advantage over knowing your history, but I don't know what the make-up of the parties were then, so can't comment. It certainly seems as if the right-wing now are the ones trying to defend the past rather than admitting to how bad it actually was - for so many.

Daemon Sophic

Actually, @Mock Turtle never mention Dems or Repubs, only right vs left.
Back in the mid-1800s, leading up to the US Civil War, the progressive lefty party was call “The Republicans”, while the oppressive, slavery-supporting conservative right-wing party of the time was call “The Democrats”.

It has never been about titles :facepalm:, only about policies. :cool:

Mike.Hester

I remember the Beatles' song "Penny Lane." It didn't seem like it was about slavery, but who can say?

I guess Pelosi only just now found out that the U.S. had slavery. In a way, I welcome this, since it's only a matter of time before someone figures out that slavery was a money-making venture, just like all capitalist ventures. Soon, capitalism will be associated with slavery and come crashing down as well.
It is not the song, but the location.It has been alleged that it was a former slave area.No proof.It was an old bridge which cost 1 penny to cross.

Mike.Hester

Correct and it was a Republican Supreme court that finally gave full civil rights to all people.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Actually, @Mock Turtle never mention Dems or Repubs, only right vs left.
Back in the mid-1800s, leading up to the US Civil War, the progressive lefty party was call “The Republicans”, while the oppressive, slavery-supporting conservative right-wing party of the time was call “The Democrats”.

It has never been about titles :facepalm:, only about policies. :cool:

I don't think either party could be considered progressive or "lefty," not by today's standards. The Republicans were still very much aligned with the industrialists and capitalists. They were not humanitarians nor anti-racists.

Kenny

Premium Member
Whine less. It's not a matter of rewriting history. It's a matter of acknowledging and respecting the oppressed rather than celebrating the oppressor.
There was another post that then asked... "who, then do acknowledge and respect?". Why the tearing down of Columbus? or, Winston Churchill, who had some things we shouldn't celebrate, but yet brought England through WWII. Who decides?

There is a place that you are correct, so not disagreeing totally. I wouldn't erect a statue of Hitler.

Kenny

Premium Member
I think you have the advantage over knowing your history, but I don't know what the make-up of the parties were then, so can't comment. It certainly seems as if the right-wing now are the ones trying to defend the past rather than admitting to how bad it actually was - for so many.

That may be a good point, I don't know. As a conservative, I don't necessarily disagree with taken down certain statues. What I think that is happening is not so much as something needs to be taken down as it is how it is being taken down... through violence.

Kenny

Premium Member
Talk about a new low in virtue signaling. Congratulations on clearing such a low bar (and bragging about it).
I really don't understand what you are saying here. Wasn't trying to brag about anything and thought I was being very cordial.

Forgive me if I came across any differently.