• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Umbanda esoterica? Anyone know of this and can explain it?

Cassandra

The Pagan DIR is home to the Pre-Christian Pagan traditions or reconstruction of those. It is no home for syncretic sects, new age cults, let alone Abrahamistic syncretic cults/sects.

I already explained why their cult/sect is no Pagan tradition. Now just as important:
Do the Umbanda members themselves identity as Pagans?

Umbanda Fast Facts
Founder: Zelio Fernandino de Moraes
Founded: Early 1900s
Location: Mainly Brazil, some practitioners in Uruguay and Argentina
Adherents: Approximately 500,000, however many followers of Umbanda call themselves Catholic

Opposition to Umbanda
Despite the fact that most Umbandists identify with the label “Catholic,” most Christian branches and denominations see Umbanda as a false and ungodly religion. The Catholic Church in particular opposes the worship of spirits and the misappropriate (i.e. sinful) use of saints

Today Terreiros can be built likes homes or Catholic churches..

Catholicism of course has a long history of repressing, persecuting, murdering other Christian sects, like Gnostics, Cathars, Protestants, etc. and made bloody war on them. Religious infight is more or less the hallmark of Abrahamist religion. It is sad but no reason to see the oppressed as Pagan.

This new syncretic catholic cult/sect deserves a place in the Abrahamist Religions DIR. Calling them Pagans is siding with those that call them an ungodly religion. When they are registered here as Pagans the classification might well be used as proof against them. And most Umbandist would be offended as they consider themselves Catholics not Pagans.

Last edited:

Psyroucke

Actually, if you go and look at most Umbanda houses websites, you will find that is a development of the Yoruba tradition, or documents from scholars at colleges/universities. They aligned their Orishas with Christian saints in order to be able to continue their practice but within the force of Christianity, but regardless, if this thread is wrong, ask a mod to move it. I doubt I have the ability to. But you also seem to be the only person with an issue.

And regardless, this post is no longer necessary for me, and would have died and gone to the ether had you not responded and called all other religions cults. I realize it is your opinion, but many would find the usage of the word cult insensitive.

Cassandra

Actually, if you go and look at most Umbanda houses websites, you will find that is a development of the Yoruba tradition, or documents from scholars at colleges/universities. They aligned their Orishas with Christian saints in order to be able to continue their practice but within the force of Christianity, but regardless, if this thread is wrong, ask a mod to move it. I doubt I have the ability to. But you also seem to be the only person with an issue.

And regardless, this post is no longer necessary for me, and would have died and gone to the ether had you not responded and called all other religions cults. I realize it is your opinion, but many would find the usage of the word cult insensitive.
Forced conversion is normal, but later generations become used to it.

The majority now identify themselves as Catholics, who are we to state they are not?
That sounds like the Spanish inquisition all over again, they too questioned peoples true faith.

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
*** thread moved to Seekers Circle ***

Please note that this is NOT A DEBATE AREA. The staff would like to ask debates here to cease immediately (they didn't belong in the DIR either, guys).