• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ukrainian refugees are being welcomed in the European Union

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Ukraine refugees given right to live in EU for three years
The proposal, expected to be approved, is based on a law drawn up in the aftermath of the Balkan wars

Ukrainian refugees will have the right to live and work in the European Union for up to three years, under an emergency plan in response to what is becoming Europe’s biggest refugee crisis this century.
The EU plan, which is expected to be approved on Thursday by the bloc’s member states, would grant Ukrainian nationals and permanent residents the right to live, work, access healthcare, housing and education immediately for up to one year, without the requirement to go through lengthy asylum procedures. If the conflict continues, or refugees cannot return safely, that status could be extended for a further two years.

Ukrainian citizens already have 90-day visa free access to the EU, but this unprecedented change in EU law secures their status after that period expires.
Source: Ukraine refugees given right to live in EU for three years

Here are two interesting perspectives on the treatment of Ukrainian vs. other war refugees by the EU and its member states:

Help for Ukraine's fleeing refugees shows the power of support when the political will is there

Ukrainian refugees are welcomed with open arms – not so with people fleeing other war-torn countries

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

This article made some interesting points which are indicative of attitudes I've noticed lately.

Some European commentators on Western media have described Ukrainian refugees as being “civilized,” “middle class” and “prosperous,” and different from those from “third world nations.”

A few European politicians have also stressed that Ukrainian refugees are qualitatively superior by virtue of their race and religion to those from countries in Latin America, Asia, Africa and Oceania – collectively known as the Global South.

“These people are Europeans,” Bulgarian Prime Minister Kiril Petkov said, referring to Ukrainians.

“These people are intelligent,” Petkov explained. “They are educated people. … This is not the refugee wave we have been used to, people we were not sure about their identity, people with unclear pasts, who could have been even terrorists.”

As a scholar of refugees and forcible displacement, I find the European Union’s response to Ukrainian refugees a stark contrast with the treatment of the international students, African and Asian migrants and the untold number of refugees and asylum-seekers of color from Syria, Afghanistan and Bangladesh also fleeing Ukraine.

As scholars of race and racism in Europe have explained, and reports on race relations confirm, the European response is also consistent with the racism, Afrophobia and Islamophobia that have historically defined EU’s immigration system.

For years, these dynamics have led to the suffering and deaths of people from Africa, the Middle East and South Asia.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Of course you'd be glad that no refugees will be taken in by the US.

Apparently, they're allowing some refugees into the U.S.: The Moral Clarity of Resettling Refugees

More than 2 million Ukrainian refugees—including 1 million children—have fled the country in less than two weeks. It is the largest and fastest refugee exodus in Europe since World War II. And as Russia continues to escalate its attacks, the crisis shows no sign of abating. It’s one the United States has a moral obligation to help alleviate.

Poland is heroically managing the overwhelming majority of refugees. Countries across the European Union are stepping forward, even those that resisted refugees from the Middle East and elsewhere.

Meanwhile, the Biden administration has granted Temporary Protected Status to Ukrainians in the United States as of March 1. However, with regard to the millions in Europe seeking protection, the administration’s official position has been that the majority of Ukrainians will want to stay in Europe near family networks, close to Ukraine so they can return home if and when the crisis ends.

In the face of such a catastrophe, this is not an adequate response. The United States can and must do more—for Ukrainians, yes, but also for refugees fleeing conflict around the world, regardless of their nationality.

Then there was this story about a Ukrainian family which was initially sent back to Mexico, but then were allowed to enter the U.S.: Ukrainian family turned away at Mexico border allowed into US

Altfish

Veteran Member
Great news, meanwhile I'm so ashamed of my country, our Brexit government is putting up borders

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
This article made some interesting points which are indicative of attitudes I've noticed lately.

Ethnocentrism and xenophobia have been noticeably rearing their ugly head since the start of the Russian invasion. It is clear that there's still a lot of work to be done before Europe has comprehensive racial equality--especially Eastern Europe.

I'm glad Ukrainian refugees are being welcomed in Europe. The problem isn't the openness to Ukrainians; it's the xenophobia toward refugees from other countries, as is the case with the governments of Hungary and Bulgaria.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
It's good news. They have a place to stay for awhile.

I suspect Europe is more open to those open to Western culture.
Christian/Western culture. Folks are going to be more accepting of people closer to their own ideological views.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member

At the end of the day, values matter. In fact, I'd say that shared values are a crucial aspect of how people support each other or don't.

One specific example is that there are aspects of Islamic values that run in stark contrast to western values. So none of this should be surprising.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
At the end of the day, values matter. In fact, I'd say that shared values are a crucial aspect of how people support each other or don't.

One specific example is that there are aspects of Islamic values that run in stark contrast to western values. So none of this should be surprising.

As I have clarified in my last thread about Europe, the so called Visegrad Group (spiritually led by Hungary) represents a group of Nations that have been called racist and nationalist by the leftist élites, just because they oppose multiculturalism.

I guess that the globalist EU has ruined itself with its own hands, when they let these proud European countries join in.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

Hungary and Poland are governed by extremely homophobic, anti-progressive governments. Whatever "Western values" those two governments seek to preserve clearly don't have to do with liberalism or acceptance so much as nationalism and xenophobia.

icehorse

Premium Member
This interview is loaded with obfuscation from both sides. They are both dancing around the truth and discussing red herrings. The Polish guy is poorly prepared, and to a large degree hamstrung.

icehorse

Premium Member
Hungary and Poland are governed by extremely homophobic, anti-progressive governments. Whatever "Western values" those two governments seek to preserve clearly don't have to do with liberalism or acceptance so much as nationalism and xenophobia.

How about theocracy and misogyny, are those "liberal values"? I don't think so.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
How about theocracy and misogyny, are those "liberal values"? I don't think so.

Far-right politicians often support both of those, including the Polish government--which has banned abortion and widely discriminated against LGBT people.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
This interview is loaded with obfuscation from both sides. They are both dancing around the truth and discussing red herrings. The Polish guy is poorly prepared, and to a large degree hamstrung.

The truth is that this EU is at fault.
It is a dictatorial EU that imposes a certain agenda on sovereign countries.
No EU treaty can steal sovereignty from EU member states. It has been proven in any national and international court of Europe.
So the EU cannot dictate the migration policy of other countries.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I suspect Europe is more open to those open to Western culture.
Christian/Western culture. Folks are going to be more accepting of people closer to their own ideological views.
Such a lovely way to describe racism and bigotry.