• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UK Elections

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I’ve got back from a very cold walk up to the polling station. I’m going to get on with the rest of my day and will wake up tomorrow to find out what happened.

So whoever you’re voting for, I hope you’re well and if you can’t think of anything when you are in the polling booth, whoever comes out ahead of this thing- remember it is going to be Christmas in two weeks.

Merry Christmas everyone. I hope its going to be a good one. :)

Thoughts and comments welcome.

Well, good luck. We have an election in 327 days.

Laika

Premium Member
At this point I wonder why they even bother anymore lol.

Because, they like raising your hopes and then crushing them. They get to play with you like a cat plays with a mouse before they eat it and wet their appetite for power and success. So many tasty helpless mice screaming as they get crunched in the jaws of the conservatives. It's all part of the "democratic" process. :D

Well, good luck. We have an election in 327 days.

I know. I will be counting down with you, watching from the otherwise of the Atlantic and hiding behind the sofa on election night. I don't know whether I will sleep on November 3rd- 4th, so best of luck. :)

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
3035.jpg

exchemist

Veteran Member
I just voted and decided not to vote tactically, even though lots are. I think that giving smaller parties a vote(if they fit for you)is more honest and may eventually break the monopoly of the big 3 (or 2 and a bit :>)).

@Harel13
The same goes for Israel (I am also an Israeli citizen) which is even more complicated. No idea how I will vote.
That's interesting about deciding whether or not to vote tactically.

Generally I have followed your policy of voting for the party I feel best represents, in prospectus and values, how I would like to see the country governed, regardless of who has a realistic prospect of winning the seat. Like you, I have felt that signalling what one would like to see helps parties adapt to the wishes of the people.

This time I have broken with that tradition, though, and voted tactically. I feel our very democracy is under threat. The sensible consensus on roughly how to govern, which characterised both Labour and Conservative administrations over the last 20 years, has broken down and we have truly dangerous ideologues and chancers in the ascendant, on both sides.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I know. I will be counting down with you, watching from the otherwise of the Atlantic and hiding behind the sofa on election night. I don't know whether I will sleep on November 3rd- 4th, so best of luck. :)

Actually, it goes on for months, starting with the first primaries. (Well, it's actually already started.) And as it gets closer to the election, they really start to amp up the political ads, the robocalls, etc.

I think it's the political ads which bug me the most. Not just the candidates' ads, but also other organizations whose sole purpose is to attack a candidate (even if they're not officially endorsed by any other candidate).

Do you get inundated and pounded with endless political ads around election time?

Laika

Premium Member
Actually, it goes on for months, starting with the first primaries. (Well, it's actually already started.) And as it gets closer to the election, they really start to amp up the political ads, the robocalls, etc.

I think it's the political ads which bug me the most. Not just the candidates' ads, but also other organizations whose sole purpose is to attack a candidate (even if they're not officially endorsed by any other candidate).

Do you get inundated and pounded with endless political ads around election time?

I believe the practice of year long elections started in the USA in the late 50’s. Nixon may have credited the democrats perfecting the technique in explaining his loss in 1960. It is really hard to avoid discussing US politics even if I wanted to. :D

In the UK, I think we only get a month of campaigning or so. It may be down to the rules of political advertising during elections. I think we had one leaflet through the door this year (lib dem). We did get a BNP leaflet one year, but its mainly been Conservative, Labour or Lib Dem. usually no more than 2 or 3 leaflets for the whole campaign. We’ve had no canvassers here come door knocking. I don’t think we’ve ever had any for the 20 years we’ve lived here. (The local JWs came twice in the same time.) All the resources probably get concentrated in key marginal seats. We’re not one of them. Other than that, its watching the news online (or TV, but thankfully we don’t have one). The experience may be different for other people.

I looked up who the candidates were in my constituency about a month ago, so I already knew who I’d probably vote for then. I considered not voting, but that was basically the only alternative.

We are a Labour household and have always been very political. The biggest event of this election family wise was when the UK’s chief rabbi came out against Labour for its anti-semitism. My dad was profoundly upset by that and wasn’t quite himself for several days. He was born after the war, so the associations are stronger for his generation than they are for me. Eventually, we talked and I explained that “this is how the internet works now: the most sensational and divisive story gets pushed and it doesn’t matter what it is. It could be anything as long as it makes money and gets ratings.” Honestly, none of us really wanted to vote (and that is very unusual) but we did it anyway.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
We voted a couple of weeks ago. Proxy by post because my registered election office could not guarantee getting postal vote forms to us and us returning them in time to count.

Funny that they could get the proxy forms to us but not the voting forms.

We had a query, our proxy had heard nothing from the election office so we emailed them. Following an apology for the delay forms were posted that day.

Today, poling day. In France we recieved letters informing us we could vote by proxy.

So i am wondering, if we hadn't complained would we be among the millions of ex pats not allowed to vote?

exchemist

Veteran Member
I believe the practice of year long elections started in the USA in the late 50’s. Nixon may have credited the democrats perfecting the technique in explaining his loss in 1960. It is really hard to avoid discussing US politics even if I wanted to. :D

In the UK, I think we only get a month of campaigning or so. It may be down to the rules of political advertising during elections. I think we had one leaflet through the door this year (lib dem). We did get a BNP leaflet one year, but its mainly been Conservative, Labour or Lib Dem. usually no more than 2 or 3 leaflets for the whole campaign. We’ve had no canvassers here come door knocking. I don’t think we’ve ever had any for the 20 years we’ve lived here. (The local JWs came twice in the same time.) All the resources probably get concentrated in key marginal seats. We’re not one of them. Other than that, its watching the news online (or TV, but thankfully we don’t have one). The experience may be different for other people.

I looked up who the candidates were in my constituency about a month ago, so I already knew who I’d probably vote for then. I considered not voting, but that was basically the only alternative.

We are a Labour household and have always been very political. The biggest event of this election family wise was when the UK’s chief rabbi came out against Labour for its anti-semitism. My dad was profoundly upset by that and wasn’t quite himself for several days. He was born after the war, so the associations are stronger for his generation than they are for me. Eventually, we talked and I explained that “this is how the internet works now: the most sensational and divisive story gets pushed and it doesn’t matter what it is. It could be anything as long as it makes money and gets ratings.” Honestly, none of us really wanted to vote (and that is very unusual) but we did it anyway.
Yes the UK elections are mercifully brief campaigns with heavy constraints on ad spending. I think the USA would benefit from adopting a model like that, but it will never happen for obvious reasons - money!

But this time round I was p****ed off to find, every time I logged onto YouTube to practice my Christmas repertoire, I got an ad from the Conservatives, blithering: "Let's Get Brexit Done". That's never happened before. I have no social media presence, but suspect if I had I would have been confronted with more of such imbecilities. The shape of things to come, probably.

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Here's a Wikipedia article if it helps.

List of political parties in Israel - Wikipedia

The UK has first past the post, so that tends to kill small parties unless they have strong local or regional support. So you have Plyd Cymru for Wales and Scottish Nationalists for Scotland and a few of the Northern Ireland parties. Greens and Brexit party may do well nationally, but they won't pick up many seats because they can't get a majority in one constituency.

My constituency has 4 parties on offer this time round: conservative, liberal democrat, labour and monster raving looney. The conservative will probably get more than 50% of the vote, labour and lib dem fighting for second and monster raving looney in last with maybe a percent or two. It's been conservative since 1922, so if they lost here nationally they'd basically cease to exist as a party. So not very likely.
The Monster Raving Loonies are an actual party? I could vote for them.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Yes the UK elections are mercifully brief campaigns with heavy constraints on ad spending. I think the USA would benefit from adopting a model like that, but it will never happen for obvious reasons - money!

But this time round I was p****ed off to find, every time I logged onto YouTube to practice my Christmas repertoire, I got an ad from the Conservatives, blithering: "Let's Get Brexit Done". That's never happened before. I have no social media presence, but suspect if I had I would have been confronted with more of such imbecilities. The shape of things to come, probably.
Money, yes. The plutocrats and kleptocrats here won't allow their power to be diminished.

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
Haven't voted yet but as a traditional Labour / Lib Dem swing voter and Remaniac / Pro-EU'er, I'm casting my vote tactically for the SNP this time around, to keep the Tory Brexiteer out of my constituency and give both Scotland and the UK one small ray of hope for the future.

I'm not overly hopeful for a people's vote / second referendum and an exit from Brexit, given the Tory lead in the polls, but whatever happens, I wish my fellow Brits - of every political persuasion - a safe journey to and from the polling station, as well as a warm night indoors.

And no, it's not a scam on the British people - it's just parliamentary democracy in action (that, at least, goes beyond partisanship).

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I have just returned from the polling station but was not given the opportunity to vote for the party of preference so I had to settle for second best.

How does that work? You vote for party or a candidate in a party? Why couldn't you vote for the candidate/party of your choice?

Sorry for being an ignorant Yank.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
How does that work? You vote for party or a candidate in a party? Why couldn't you vote for the candidate/party of your choice?

Sorry for being an ignorant Yank.
The candidate for a party (you vote for an MP in your constituency) may not be standing.

So, say, the Tory MP for North Lincolnshire may be standing, he may be Dave Jones for the Tory party, but the MP for the Labour party, Nick Reese, may not stand, so you can't vote for Labour. The MP with the most votes wins and will represent your constituency in Parliament on behalf of whichever party to which they belong.

MikeDwight

Anyone else interested in popular Scottish society on Christmas? Obviously we all know about the Auld Lang Syne new Years. They got a St. Nicholas mall in Edinburgh, that's fun. I watched some dancing Snowmen in Scottish kilts they did "its beginning to look a lot like Christmas", funny, What are you guys even voting about? Prime Minister?

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
The candidate for a party (you vote for an MP in your constituency) may not be standing.

So, say, the Tory MP for North Lincolnshire may be standing, he may be Dave Jones for the Tory party, but the MP for the Labour party, Nick Reese, may not stand, so you can't vote for Labour. The MP with the most votes wins and will represent your constituency in Parliament on behalf of whichever party to which they belong.
And then the head of the party with the most seats becomes PM?