• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S. Is Starting To Evacuate Some Embassy Staff From Afghanistan With Military Help

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Slowly pulling out would've prepared the Afghan
government for beating the Taliban? Piffle!
Having a planned response an anticipation and taking similar action that was taken against ISIS (as in, assisting and not leading) probably would have helped a lot.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Having a planned response an anticipation and taking similar action that was taken against ISIS (as in, assisting and not leading) probably would have helped a lot.
The fed has been planning responses for a couple decades.
The only one that will bear any fruit is complete pull-out.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The fed has been planning responses for a couple decades.
The only one that will bear any fruit is complete pull-out.
Even when Bush Jr. was in office people were warning we can't just pull out like this because such a thing would be likely to happen. We say it happen when Obama withdrew and ISIS stormed through. Biden finished a withdrawal Trump began, and it's the Taliban storming through and reclaiming power.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Even when Bush Jr. was in office people were warning we can't just pull out like this because such a thing would be likely to happen.
When don't those nation building hawkish types warn that, eh.
They neve met a war they didn't like.
We say it happen when Obama withdrew and ISIS stormed through. Biden finished a withdrawal Trump began, and it's the Taliban storming through and reclaiming power.
Had Obama kept his campaign promise (a laughable premise,
I know), the same would've happened a couple trillion dollars
sooner. But he was against the war only when it was Bush's.
The left generally dropped opposition once it became Obama's.
Remember how the protests evaporated when he won?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
When don't those nation building hawkish types warn that, eh.
They neve met a war they didn't like.

Had Obama kept his campaign promise (a laughable premise,
I know), the same would've happened a couple trillion dollars
sooner. But he was against the war only when it was Bush's.
The left generally dropped opposition once it became Obama's.
Remember how the protests evaporated when he won?
I haven't forgotten.
But making a mess of things and then just throwing your hands up and leaving without offering to help clean up is basically about as rude and coming into someone's house and taking over.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I haven't forgotten.
But making a mess of things and then just throwing your hands up and leaving without offering to help clean up is basically about as rude and coming into someone's house and taking over.
We don't have the wisdom, expertise, or continuity of policy
to clean up Afghanistan. Besides, we've some cleaning up
to do here. This would be a far better use of tax dollars.
Did I mention....
**** the international community who want us to stay there.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
We don't have the wisdom, expertise, or continuity of policy
to clean up Afghanistan. Besides, we've some cleaning up
to do here. This would be a far better use of tax dollars.
Did I mention....
**** the international community who want us to stay there.
Assisting Iraq against ISIS seemed very effective. No large military presence, clearing the way from above so they still are doing most of the groundwork, and lending a tremendous advantage in a war against a radical group bent on domination.
Seems a viable option this time around, other than it's a bit late for an early strike to cripple them before they could do this.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Assisting Iraq against ISIS seemed very effective. No large military presence, clearing the way from above so they still are doing most of the groundwork, and lending a tremendous advantage in a war against a radical group bent on domination.
Seems a viable option this time around, other than it's a bit late for an early strike to cripple them before they could do this.
Iraq was not worth what we spent.
Could have spent that money on your health care.
You prefer spending trillions on war, aka nation building.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Iraq was not worth what we spent.
Could have spent that money on your health care.
You prefer spending trillions on war, aka nation building.
No, I'd prefer we not just leave people to such a horrible fate, especially if there is already a commitment (albeit an ill and undefined one in Afghanistan).

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No, I'd prefer we not just leave people to such a horrible fate, especially if there is already a commitment (albeit an ill and undefined one in Afghanistan).
Was what we accomplished in a couple decades worth
2 trillion dollars to you?
If we spent another 2 trillion...would that be worth it if
we succeeded (a dubious assumption)?

Hmmm....
Whichever country you immigrate to eventually,
would you advocate that they step into Afghanistan
to try to fix it?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Was what we accomplished in a couple decades worth
2 trillion dollars to you?
If we spent another 2 trillion...would that be worth it if
we succeeded (a dubious assumption)?
I never thought a full scale invasion to go fight terrorist was a good idea to begin with.
Whichever country you immigrate to eventually,
would you advocate that they step into Afghanistan
to try to fix it?
They didn't start it.
They'll just hopefully have more reservations before jumping on the bandwagon America is driving while screaming "let's go get 'em!"

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
They didn't start it.
Our starting the war doesn't mean we must stay there interminably
at ginormous cost. Afghanistan will now return to its former status
as a ****hole country that has horrible human rights.
Tis as though we were never there.

But you're advocating staying because it's worth doing
for the benefit of Afghans.
If it's worth it to us, it should be worth it to your new home.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
But you're advocating staying because it's worth doing
for the benefit of Afghans.
If it's worth it to us, it should be worth it to your new home.
Not staying as we have. Enough, however, to be able to respond to such threats (or worse threats), but not so much it becomes and endless occupation of boots on the ground.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Not staying as we have. Enough, however, to be able to respond to such threats (or worse threats), but not so much it becomes and endless occupation of boots on the ground.
If we stay, it would be with the kind of leadership we've had,
that we have now, & that we'll have in the future. Such leaders
are woefully ill suited to the task of fixing Afghanistan.

There's one way to fix them. It'll work.
Go in guns blazing. Kill every enemy & suspected enemy.
Many innocents will die, but the survivors will be the ones
we want. And they'll know that if they don't toe the line,
it'll be a repeat.
That would be hard for oh-so-sensitive Ameristanians
to stomach. But it would be cheaper, faster, & safer.
+

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
If we stay, it would be with the kind of leadership we've had,
that we have now, & that we'll have in the future. Such leaders
are woefully ill suited to the task of fixing Afghanistan.
I already said at least a few times I don't support staying to lead but rather staying to assist.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I already said at least a few times I don't support staying to lead but rather staying to assist.
Yeah...as though that would yield great good
for the hundreds of billions lost down a rathole.

I pay a lot in taxes....a whole lot.
I want it used well...not wasted as it has been.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
I haven't forgotten.
The Taliban have been very insistent that they don't need US help in "cleaning up", though.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Chaos at airport in Kabul as thousands try to flee after Taliban takes power - UPI.com

Aug. 16 (UPI) -- Chaos reigned at the international airport in Kabul on Monday, where diplomatic officials, members of the fallen government and civilians searched desperately for a way out of Afghanistan after the Taliban's abrupt rise to power.

People scattered through terminals and even onto the tarmac at Hamid Karzai International Airport in a frenzy to leave the capital city, which fell to Taliban fighters in stunning fashion on Sunday.

Civilians clung to a U.S. military transport plane on Monday as it attempted to depart the airport, CNN reported.

About 6,000 U.S. troops had been ordered to secure the airport and facilitate evacuations. U.S. Embassy personnel began arriving at the airport on Sunday.

"We can confirm that the safe evacuation of all embassy personnel is now complete," U.S. State Department spokesman Ned Price said, according to CNN.

"All embassy personnel are located on the premises of Hamid Karzai International Airport, whose perimeter is secured by the U.S. Military."

"The United States joins the international community in affirming that Afghans and international citizens who wish to depart must be allowed to do so," U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken said in a statement late Sunday. "Roads, airports, and border crossing must remain open, and calm must be maintained.

"The Afghan people deserve to live in safety, security and dignity. We in the international community stand ready to assist them."

Britain, Canada and Germany were among the countries evacuating their embassies and diplomatic personnel there also sought flights out of the country.

Afghan President Ashraf Ghani fled on Sunday and groups of Taliban fighters took over the presidential palace in Kabul. Monday, security officials handed over further control and pleaded for a peaceful transition of power.

"I say welcome to them, and I congratulate them," one security official said, according to The New York Times.

All over the country, Taliban leaders were seen taking authority from government officials with little, if any, resistance. Former Afghanistan President Hamid Karzai said he has formed a council with other government leaders to meet with the Taliban for a peaceful transition.

The Taliban agreed to a peaceful transition, and said they entered Kabul to restore order and public safety. Some Kabul residents immediately started tearing down advertisements showing women without headscarves, for fear it could upset Taliban leaders. Their version of Islam excludes women from much of public life.

The mass exodus comes amid rising fears among Afghans about what might occur now that Taliban fighters have retaken control after American forces had kept them at bay for two decades.

The completion of the swift Taliban takeover came about two weeks before the deadline imposed by the U.S. military to have all troops withdrawn from Afghanistan. U.S. President Joe Biden announced the pullout earlier this year and the Pentagon said in recent weeks that the withdrawal was more than 90% complete.

Taliban fighters moved quickly in capturing provincial capitals across Afghanistan over the past week, leading some current and former U.S. officials to worry that Afghan forces could do little to stop them.

Citing documents obtained for a forthcoming book, The Washington Post reported Monday that U.S. leaders in Afghanistan worried for years that Afghanistan's police and military structure would never be able to operate effectively without U.S. assistance -- largely due to a lack of motivation, lack of education among trainees and systemic corruption throughout the Afghan military apparatus.

It's interesting that we're hearing about this now. U.S. leaders in Afghanistan were worried for years that Afghanistan's police and military structure would never be able to operate effectively without U.S. assistance. But it's a little late to be bringing this up now. Why weren't they speaking up years ago? And if they were speaking up years ago, why weren't the media reporting on it?