• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tyr - A Norse God of Law and Promise - Breaks a promise!

josip123

Tyr is known as a Norse god of law and promise.
There is a well known myth called Binding of Fenrir, arguably the most famous tale regarding Tyr. It is a very interesting story that tells how Tyr fooled Fenrir, when gods decided to bound him with the rope, so he cannor escape. While gods were bounding him on the rope, Tyr put his hand in Fenrir's mouths because they trusted each other. In the end Tyr left without hand, and Fenrir stuck on the rope.

Read the full story on Ancient Origins

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
To clarify, I don't think Tyr or the Aesir fooled Fenrir at all; that's why Tyr offered his hand as hostage while the gods tested Gleipnir. He knew that Fenrir wouldn't consign to the "test" otherwise, and if Fenrir could not break out then at least he would get to maim one of them. The whole reason he demanded one of them offer up their hand was that he didn't trust that they would release him.

It should also be clarified that the "rope" - Gleipnir - was a magical thread forged by dwarves of impossible things; the sound of a cat's footfall, the beard of a woman, the roots of a mountain, the sense of a bear, the breath of a fish, and the spittle of a bird.

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
The most I know about this is through a few of Rick Riordan's books and skimming through Edith Hamilton's Mythology. lol

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Gaiman's retelling of it was certainly sad. I felt bad for the fenris wolf. You could feel his pain. Tyr was the only one who didn't celebrate the betrayal in that retelling, though.

Yup. I've read this tale a couple of times (different versions) but I read Gaiman's literally last week, so that dominates my thoughts on it right now. I got a real sense of sadness from Tyr. He showed the required solidarity with Odin, but basically was melancholy about the whole thing, and sacrificed his limb as a form of atonement. Like such a betrayal should have a price.