• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TX Lt. Gov. Blames El Paso Shooting on Not Letting Kids “Pray in Our Schools”

Skwim

Veteran Member
Whenever there’s a mass shooting, you can count on Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick to say the worst thing imaginable. Last May, after an incident, he blamed abortion and video games and unarmed teachers and too many entrances in schools and a lack of forced Christianity. In 2016, just after the Pulse nightclub massacre, he tweeted a Bible verse that said “A man reaps what he sows.” (He later deleted that tweet without apology or explanation.)

Now he’s doing the same thing about the El Paso shooting

Appearing on Fox & Friends, this morning Patrick got plenty of attention for blaming video games… even though the shooter made it clear he was following through on Donald Trump‘s anti-Hispanic rhetoric. But that’s not all he said.

He also said one of the causes was that kids no longer pray in schools.

Burk timothy.png

… I look at, on Sunday morning, when most of your viewers right now, half of the country, are getting ready to go to church, and yet tomorrow, we won’t let our kids even pray in our schools…

He’s lying. (He’s a conservative Christian, so it comes with the territory.)

Besides the fact that it’s still summer vacation for most kids, so they wouldn’t be praying in school anyway, he’s flat-out wrong. Kids have always been allowed to pray in school. No atheist has ever tried to take that right away from them.

What Patrick presumably means to say is that school shootings are the result of Christianity not being forced upon all students — as if school shootings are the fault of Jews, Muslims, and atheists, and not a combination of right-wing bigotry mixed with easy access to weapons of war. Pushing Christianity in public school, in direct violation of those words that come before the Second Amendment, wouldn’t solve a damn thing. Saying meaningless words to an imaginary being won’t fix our gun problems.

Remember: There are far fewer religious people in other nations, and no one sees the level of gun violence that we do.
source

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Whenever there’s a mass shooting, you can count on Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick to say the worst thing imaginable. Last May, after an incident, he blamed abortion and video games and unarmed teachers and too many entrances in schools and a lack of forced Christianity. In 2016, just after the Pulse nightclub massacre, he tweeted a Bible verse that said “A man reaps what he sows.” (He later deleted that tweet without apology or explanation.)

Appearing on Fox & Friends, this morning Patrick got plenty of attention for blaming video games… even though the shooter made it clear he was following through on Donald Trump‘s anti-Hispanic rhetoric. But that’s not all he said.

… I look at, on Sunday morning, when most of your viewers right now, half of the country, are getting ready to go to church, and yet tomorrow, we won’t let our kids even pray in our schools…

Besides the fact that it’s still summer vacation for most kids, so they wouldn’t be praying in school anyway, he’s flat-out wrong. Kids have always been allowed to pray in school. No atheist has ever tried to take that right away from them.

What Patrick presumably means to say is that school shootings are the result of Christianity not being forced upon all students — as if school shootings are the fault of Jews, Muslims, and atheists, and not a combination of right-wing bigotry mixed with easy access to weapons of war. Pushing Christianity in public school, in direct violation of those words that come before the Second Amendment, wouldn’t solve a damn thing. Saying meaningless words to an imaginary being won’t fix our gun problems.

Remember: There are far fewer religious people in other nations, and no one sees the level of gun violence that we do.
source

So... let me see if I understand what are you saying. Before, when people when to church, prayed in church and in schools, read the Bible in church and in the schools, when violent movies (or video games) were not for children and correction in school was "You have detention for chewing gum" and now that you can't and don't, there is no correlation?

Skwim

Veteran Member
So... let me see if I understand what are you saying. Before, when people when to church, prayed in church and in schools, read the Bible in church and in the schools, when violent movies (or video games) were not for children and correction in school was "You have detention for chewing gum" and now that you can't and don't, there is no correlation?
Not sure what you're saying here, but If anything, just coincidence. :D

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Clearly it's the fault of democracy. If all the right wing terrorists were recruited into the secret police and death squads, then all the killing would be at the behest of the government and quite legal. And when people were murdered, they could of course not chant "God is great" but would have to come up with something that naturally had the same meaning.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member

source
Interesting. When the news broke internationally, the professional news reader lady I watched kind of subtly blamed guns.
Oh and our condolences.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Uhh wasn’t the first recorded school shooting in America from like the 1700s?

Here’s a stronger correlation. Nation is flooded with guns, mass shooting occurs.

When the tragic news broke I recall the newsreader saying it was like the 250th mass shooting (or school shooting) that year for America. We were like, damn! Are you a first world country or a war zone?

Last edited:

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Australia doesn't have prayer in schools either. Weird we only seem to average a mass shooting about once every three years, huh?

Australia has a natural Oceanic security border as well as being 77 percent white European descendant and 20 percent Asian.descendant.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Anything to deflect from a discussion about gun control. The more outrageous, the better. The check from the NRA is already in the mail.
Maybe it seems that way, but I believe this governor is saying what he thinks. Its likely he has not had a lot of public education and has been in private academies that teach him quite straightforwardly most of what he is saying or perhaps that his public schools taught him these kinds of things. If you need an example of a private school curriculum there is the ACE curriculum. Maybe he learned only from ACE through high school. I had this through fifth grade, and I assure you its not a joke nor a trick of the NRA for someone to think that times need to go back to what they were in the 40's. Maybe its inconvenient and creates some dissonance making it difficult to discuss the right to bear arms versus the gun control ideas, but I'd take him seriously.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Conservatives tend to find convention, predictability and homogeneity comforting -- and vice versa.

People in general tend to think and act symbolically. Symbols motivate, they are targets and goals, they unify and divide. People rally 'round symbols.

School prayer, pledges of allegiance, &c. are symbolic; they're tribal unifiers. Lt. Governer Patrick may have a point, though I doubt he understands it. If we had a less free, more regimented society we could probably expect less socially aberrant behavior.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
As for me...I think most of the trouble we have is fallout from years of segregation which has affected us all, and I think it is also the result of a shrinking middle class. We have too much disparity between rich and poor in the country now.

Ellen Brown

source

I say that it is pseudo adults acting out violently (Trump and company) that make others think that violence is permissible.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Are you suggesting that people in the US weren't killing each other "back then" (whenever "back then" is)? What correlation are you trying to make, and do you have numbers to establish that correlation? And in your numbers, will you include the lynching of uppity black folks? Will you include the murders of and by gangsters during foolish episodes like prohibition?, Because if I recall, there was some violence back then, even though there were no video games.

Can you see history as it really was, or do you insist on editing it so that it conforms to your predisposed notions?

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
When you ban God from schools or anywhere else, it just makes more room for evil to step in.
When I transferred to public school in Virginia, we still had prayer groups. I attended prayer one once a week in an empty classroom during break. We had several Christian sponsored mission groups, such as The Navigators which met after hours. Some of the teachers were dedicated Christians, and some were not. The curriculum in Biology stressed basics about cell biology, measuring and terminology. I was creationist. We were not required to confess belief in any particular scientific theories. There was a lot of disagreement in the student body about these issues, and we sometimes discussed them. None of us were experts though and few of us understood the Math well enough to be conversant. Similarly few if any could read Hebrew or knew theology. There was an advanced placement philosophy class. The school did not have prayers but had a moment of silence, and you could say a prayer at the beginning of the day. We had the pledge of allegiance, although some students opted out for religious reasons.