• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two sides of a coin?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
But it's still the case that beliefs are beliefs, and not facts.

True. Im using them as facts since thats how we view reality is through our belief systems. For example, I wouldnt say having a buddhanature is a belief. I practice knowing it when I meditate or chant. I know it in how I interact with others. I know it when I study the Dharma. It may be a belief to Joe but it is a fact to me. Thats how I see life. I just dont oppose my reality on another person, I dont think?

But, thats how Im viewing this. Beliefs as facts to believers not beliefs themselves. In other words, Im going by believers point of view rather than dictionary.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
Beliefs as facts to believers not beliefs themselves. In other words, Im going by believers point of view rather than dictionary.

I suppose that to a certain kind of person beliefs become like facts. I'm not sure that's a good thing though.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I suppose that to a certain kind of person beliefs become like facts. I'm not sure that's a good thing though.
I can see that side in many who fall in indoctrinated faihs. Probably if the beliefs were seen as such, the person indoctrinated have more room to question what they are tols is true rather than personal preference.

Robert.Evans

You will be assimilated; it is His Will.
So what actually happened?

Yes. How?

I believe Im a dog now. My mind can say so. My practice can say so. That doesnt matter. Cant cant change fact. Thats what religions/beliefs are to people who adopt or indoctrinated in it...it is a fact.

Thats why it takes time to change. Doesnt chanve the truth but at least it wont be odd that a five minute change from my being a dog to a cat is all of the sudden true just because i think it ans can bark or meow.:confused:
Where truth lies, so also lies error. It has to do to have both sides of the coin. So because it works for one it has to work for the other.
God can change anyone in an instant of if it is your time. It was mine.

SpeaksForTheTrees

Can you really change your belief more than one time within a week time frame?

I'll use two extremes to not make it personal. I am an atheist. I turn around and do a wonder woman. Now I believe in god. Okay. Now god should be my life. I cant switch from the only reality to me. But I wake up the next morning and find Im an atheist again.

Who was I really? A theist? An atheist?

Religion defines your life. It takes time to develop a new way of seeing life if you wish to "switch beliefs." For example, my belief in X and disbelief in anything contrary to X is at a flip of a coin. Changing beliefs in my mind doesnt mean it has changes in my life on the bat. I understand some combine beliefs but to change from one to another within a week?

How is that possible?
Is a woman thing I think , my gf changing her mind is the only constant in her life .

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Beliefs change and fluctuate. I see little reason to question your thoughts much. If you think you've changed, you've changed.

Its not the person, its the actual change in belief. If an alien believed X and then he believed Y two minutes later, that doesnt mean anything (imo) until he has lived X or Y. You can grow into religion X but to change it in your mind is like my saying I got two heads, I believe it, not now its true.

Doesnt work that way. Takes time to grow in faith.

Doesnt have to do with the people. We can do whatever they want.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I myself don't like to label myself as anything, truth is ever flowing, once we label and box truth in, it then becomes stale and worthless, question yourself everyday, for this is to die daily, and to be renewed daily never clinging to anything.

TheGunShoj

Can you really change your belief more than one time within a week time frame?

I'll use two extremes to not make it personal. I am an atheist. I turn around and do a wonder woman. Now I believe in god. Okay. Now god should be my life. I cant switch from the only reality to me. But I wake up the next morning and find Im an atheist again.

Who was I really? A theist? An atheist?

Religion defines your life. It takes time to develop a new way of seeing life if you wish to "switch beliefs." For example, my belief in X and disbelief in anything contrary to X is at a flip of a coin. Changing beliefs in my mind doesnt mean it has changes in my life on the bat. I understand some combine beliefs but to change from one to another within a week?

How is that possible?

Belief is not a choice. You absorb information and it either convinces you or it doesn't (regarding the existence of a God) no choice is made. I think it's important to try to identify what the cause of this change was. What happened that made the view point shift? what new information did you absorb that could have changed your mind during this period of time?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Belief is not a choice. You absorb information and it either convinces you or it doesn't (regarding the existence of a God) no choice is made. I think it's important to try to identify what the cause of this change was. What happened that made the view point shift? what new information did you absorb that could have changed your mind during this period of time?

Do you think it could be external change rather than internal? Based on information brought in rather than filtering what "makes senese" in relation to an already set belief?

Say one already believes in god; thats his truth. Then something happens and now he believes in Vishnu. If he doesnt take full time to let that second belief become his life, is it possible he just changed externally but his belief in god is still there since beliefs dont change?