• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two sides of a coin?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Can you really change your belief more than one time within a week time frame?

I'll use two extremes to not make it personal. I am an atheist. I turn around and do a wonder woman. Now I believe in god. Okay. Now god should be my life. I cant switch from the only reality to me. But I wake up the next morning and find Im an atheist again.

Who was I really? A theist? An atheist?

Religion defines your life. It takes time to develop a new way of seeing life if you wish to "switch beliefs." For example, my belief in X and disbelief in anything contrary to X is at a flip of a coin. Changing beliefs in my mind doesnt mean it has changes in my life on the bat. I understand some combine beliefs but to change from one to another within a week?

How is that possible?

A Vestigial Mote

By the breadth and variety of human experience and the ways in which it is relayed, it has been displayed that anything is possible within the human mind.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I don't find that all that surprising, personally. At its purest, belief in God is a very personal matter.

There is some evidence that theism may be a result of a flaw in communication between the brain hemispheres. If I got the idea accurately, one would sometimes perceive one's own ideals as a sort of personified, somewhat separate phantom. Neurology has some odd phenomena,

If you feel disconfort with that situation, it might be worthwhile to try some sort of integration practice. Perhaps meditating on your moral and religious values and on how you would personify them if you felt so artistically inclined might help.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member

I'll use two extremes to not make it personal. I am an atheist. I turn around and do a wonder woman. Now I believe in god. Okay. Now god should be my life. I cant switch from the only reality to me. But I wake up the next morning and find Im an atheist again.

Religion defines your life. It takes time to develop a new way of seeing life if you wish to "switch beliefs." For example, my belief in X and disbelief in anything contrary to X is at a flip of a coin. Changing beliefs in my mind doesnt mean it has changes in my life on the bat. I understand some combine beliefs but to change from one to another within a week?

How is that possible?
Discernment is a very big part of the human experience when it comes to faith. It changes, flows, grows, dies, and comes back again. I try not to focus too much on it and just let the experience take me where it goes. :)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

How is that possible?
According to the Association of Atheists Researching Dramatic Variations in Advanced
Religious Knowledge (AARDVARK), you're allowed to change your mind as often as you wish.
It's no longer just a woman's prerogative!

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I don't find that all that surprising, personally. At its purest, belief in God is a very personal matter.

There is some evidence that theism may be a result of a flaw in communication between the brain hemispheres. If I got the idea accurately, one would sometimes perceive one's own ideals as a sort of personified, somewhat separate phantom. Neurology has some odd phenomena,

If you feel disconfort with that situation, it might be worthwhile to try some sort of integration practice. Perhaps meditating on your moral and religious values and on how you would personify them if you felt so artistically inclined might help.

Its an interesting observation. One person can completely be, I dont know, Buddhist them a day later they value religion related to materalism (in a good view). Then two days later, they believe in god, and a week later, thry are atheist.

I am completely confused how this is possible. What I believe and what I do shapes my reality. I cant no more change that than becoming someone else literally.

It could be neurological. Thats the only way I can think of it too. Other than that, Im at a loss.

A Vestigial Mote

That would mean a person could be an atheist and a theist at the sams time since they are both within?
Someone could pretend to be both/either in order to "fit in" within the social circles of either or both groups. They could even identify with both, or at least aspects of both. Or desire to be both for whatever reason. It's the whole reason why these labels and contrivances we utilize to try and realize one another's scope are so ridiculously inadequate. People are CRAZY. All of us, in one form or another. We're entirely capable of being vastly confusing individuals, and there's honestly nothing anyone can "do" about it.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Discernment is a very big part of the human experience when it comes to faith. It changes, flows, grows, dies, and comes back again. I try not to focus too much on it and just let the experience take me where it goes. :)

Its an interesting observation being on RF and in general. Religion shapes ones reality. Unless one says they believe that all religions hsve truth, but if one seriously says she is an atheist today and seriously say she is a theist tomorrow, that is how they see life. But those polar opposites staggars me.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Events come and go.
each occasion will have some influence.....some are amazing.....some devastating...

So you changed your mind to adapt to the change in life.....

are you surprised?
you thought your previous notions were fixed?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Someone could pretend to be both/either in order to "fit in" within the social circles of either or both groups. They could even identify with both, or at least aspects of both. Or desire to be both for whatever reason. It's the whole reason why these labels and contrivances we utilize to try and realize one another's scope are so ridiculously inadequate. People are CRAZY. All of us, in one form or another. We're entirely capable of being vastly confusing individuals, and there's honestly nothing anyone can "do" about it.

If, for example, Islam religion shapes your life and its the only reality you see, how do you change that reality? If its nit a revelation that you are living a lie, by choice rather, how can one switch facts?

If god is a fact to a theist and facts dont change, how can they all of the sudden not believe in god? Unless they found out its not a fact.....

But my question is, within a day or week time period? One day someone is Hindu another day they are christian the next they are pagan?

It takes time to see things differently. Its not overnight nonmatter how many labels we choose from. If people Do change their faith that quickly, how is that poissible?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
According to the Association of Atheists Researching Dramatic Variations in Advanced
Religious Knowledge (AARDVARK), you're allowed to change your mind as often as you wish.
It's no longer just a woman's prerogative!
Very cool but scary. Google Atheists Researching Dramatic Variations in Advanced
Religious Knowledge (AARDVARK) and YOU are on the top of my page. LOL

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Events come and go.
each occasion will have some influence.....some are amazing.....some devastating...

So you changed your mind to adapt to the change in life.....

are you surprised?
you thought your previous notions were fixed?

Changing your mind and changing your reality are two different things. We can say we are Christian one day and Hindu another. Thats fine. Changing your reality from Christ to Brahma (excuse my lack of knowledge) is pretty extreme if not over time.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Beliefs and disbeliefs don't have to define who you are. They are just beliefs and disbeliefs, ideas which come and go, you don't have to take them too seriously.

We differ in that respect. I believe they do. Its not like picking a favorite dish and finding a better one, type of thing.

Belief as in religion.

A Vestigial Mote

If, for example, Islam religion shapes your life and its the only reality you see, how do you change that reality? If its nit a revelation that you are living a lie, by choice rather, how can one switch facts?

If god is a fact to a theist and facts dont change, how can they all of the sudden not believe in god? Unless they found out its not a fact.....

But my question is, within a day or week time period? One day someone is Hindu another day they are christian the next they are pagan?

It takes time to see things differently. Its not overnight nonmatter how many labels we choose from. If people Do change their faith that quickly, how is that poissible?

Does it matter? I mean truly? Especially in the realm of religious belief - much of which is entirely personal and completely unfounded in "reality" - anyone is allowed to believe anything. And I mean that literally. Who is to stop them? And what difference does it make if they decide to switch their belief system even every couple of minutes? What impact does it have? Any that truly matters? Unless they are somehow harming someone else in the process, I say no - there is none. No impact whatsoever. Even "God" condones this via "free will". The capability, at any time, to think whatever you like about anything you like. We all have it. We all use it to some degree. It is no great surprise.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Does it matter? I mean truly? Especially in the realm of religious belief - much of which is entirely personal and completely unfounded in "reality" - anyone is allowed to believe anything. And I mean that literally. Who is to stop them? And what difference does it make if they decide to switch their belief system even every couple of minutes? What impact does it have? Any that truly matters? Unless they are somehow harming someone else in the process, I say no - there is none. No impact whatsoever. Even "God" condones this via "free will". The capability, at any time, to think whatever you like about anything you like. We all have it. We all use it to some degree. It is no great surprise.

Its an observation and general question of how one can believe in X then change to Y which is completely contrary to X then say they are Z but then go backnto X again.

Religion is a persons life. If one day you are bowing to Christ and another to Vishnu (and my point= and you go to Buddha and then to God of abraham), what does thst persons reality look like? How do they live these beliefs if they dont let one change them before switching to the next?