• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

two questions about gods in Jainism?

hello, I was wondering about a couple of Jain centered questions...
could Jain Tirthankaras intervene supernaturally in the mundane world, after death? what about the other 'deities' that are subject to rebirth?
thanks much if you know

Arav

Jain
could Jain Tirthankaras intervene supernaturally in the mundane world,

No, when a Tirthankar dies they become a Siddha, or a liberated soul. A liberated Soul is completely detached from this world and does not intervene at all. We are all on our own.

what about the other 'deities' that are subject to rebirth?

Yes, they can help us but only with material things. They are called Yakshas and Yakshinis. They cant help us on the path to Moksha.

thanks...
I have one more question, tho - the soul is supposed to be omnipotent and omniscient... when liberated- surely it can observe things in this material realm or act here if it felt like it (surely not in reality, I know, I'm incorrect I just don't see how)

what is the afterlife like, really? what descriptions of it exist? is it beyond descriptiuon? does it SEEM bodily or physical in some way? will they be living in something like their own 'buddha-fields' , will they be contemplating their own minds or something

I am very unknowledgeable about Jainism but attempting to learn, sorry for the crudeness of the questions...

Arav

Jain
thanks...
I have one more question, tho - the soul is supposed to be omnipotent and omniscient... when liberated- surely it can observe things in this material realm or act here if it felt like it (surely not in reality, I know, I'm incorrect I just don't see how)

They dont act here in this world simply because they are unattached to it. How can they help us? They cant, our liberation is up to us and we must do it by ourselves. They can only help us threw their teachings which they gave us when they were here on earth.

what is the afterlife like, really? what descriptions of it exist? is it beyond descriptiuon? does it SEEM bodily or physical in some way? will they be living in something like their own 'buddha-fields' , will they be contemplating their own minds or something

The liberated afterlife is simply Pure Consciousness, Infinite Knowledge, and Perfect Bliss. There is no physicalities at all about it, pure formlessness. They wont be contemplating but just being, absorbed in pure bliss, knowledge, and consciousness.

I am very unknowledgeable about Jainism but attempting to learn, sorry for the crudeness of the questions...

Your not being crude, I thank you for asking questions and for your interest. I am happy to help you with what ever questions you have and dont hesistate to ask!

a question - if a liberated soul has infinite knowledge/infinite energy, how does Jainism get around the subject / object division - i.e. What does one have knowledge OF, if there are no objects ?

Arav

Jain
a question - if a liberated soul has infinite knowledge/infinite energy, how does Jainism get around the subject / object division - i.e. What does one have knowledge OF, if there are no objects ?

In Jainism there is duality, Jainism says that there are subjects and objects. A Jina has knowledge of all. Also, Nethanialfirst, I have dropped Jainism and am now persuing my own path. But I will still answer your questions.