• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Turn Your TV Off! Smash it! Kill it!

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Nope.[/quote[

Tell him what's up, if you haven't already. Ask him to wear the headphones when you're sleeping. Worst he can do is say no, right?

I suppose I could.
ket. I have blinds and curtains. I mean it's beyond ridiculous.

Looks like you'll have to put it up at night and take it down in the morning.

If it helps you sleep, it isn't ridiculous.

Edit: I give up. 5 attempts to fix this post and it didn't work.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member

Tell him what's up, if you haven't already. Ask him to wear the headphones when you're sleeping. Worst he can do is say no, right?

I suppose I could.

And I did. My grandparents told me to take it down. It was a blanket. I have blinds and curtains. I mean it's beyond ridiculous.

Looks like you'll have to put it up at night and take it down in the morning.

If it helps you sleep, it isn't ridiculous.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
So, on a night when I'm in bed in should be dark and silent. Night time! But no. Dad has to have the T.V. on droning behind me all night, it's enough to make me really lose it. And then I notice, wherever I go in this house or anybody's house there's always some T.V. prattling in the background. No-one's actually watching on listening, but it's on.

I mean is it so hard just to take it and throw it out the window?

Or I don't know, turn it off?

What is it with these people who need something droning on 24/7? You afraid of the silence? What? I mean all I'm asking for is quiet and darkness on a night, but now I have some random house's sensor light on and off and on and off all night! I wouldn't have a right to complain if I lived in a city, but I live in a tiny village out in nowhere land. Is it too much to ask??

Turn your crap off!!

Are you an adult?
Are you living in your parent's home?

If so....... go and get a place of your own!
If not so...... It is your Dad's house!

Alternatively...... which part of 'buy comfortable ear plugs' don't you get?

...in any event..... stop moaning... ?????

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
It was an audiologist who recommended it to me. Read about it online then asked in august when the annual 4 day party was due and realised I'd forgotten to order wax plugs.

It doesnt push in enough to reach the eardrum and its an inert.

There are tiny hairs in our ears in the canal that can be damaged by anything put in the ear, earplugs included. It can cause tinitus. Have to be careful.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
There are tiny hairs in our ears in the canal that can be damaged by anything put in the ear, earplugs included. It can cause tinitus. Have to be careful.

Its not actually put into the ear to any great extent. Roll a 1cm ball and press it against the opening of the ear canal. It moulds to your shape, with only a slight indentation at the opening.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Are you an adult?

I've told him I have sleeping problems. It seems like common courtesy to use headphones or use the downstairs T.V. or something.

What's wrong with living with one's parents? Maybe you should stop complaining about this? It seems a strange thing to judge one by and quite ridiculous.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Are you an adult?

Hi Oldbadger,

See, the way this works is:

An RF member posts about a problem they're having or something they're going through. . .
--- other members read their post and . .
--- offer advice or condolences or. ..
--- share similar experiences or. . .
--- shut the hell up.

This is called community.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I've told him I have sleeping problems. It seems like common courtesy to use headphones or use the downstairs T.V. or something.

Maybe he's trying to tell you something?
He might have discovered how much you moan about him?
:p

What's wrong with living with one's parents? Maybe you should stop complaining about this? It seems a strange thing to judge one by and quite ridiculous.
There is nothing wrong with living with parents.
But the best way is to think of how you can sort problems, rather than expect your parents to do it all.

And since you started out with smashing tellie to pieces etc.... all very aggressive, I felt that you wouldn't mind some alternatives ideas to those which you probably expected or wanted.

Now you sleep well tonite...... with some modern inner ear sound attenuators...... they cost zilch and work wonders.... how do I know? ..... I use 'em! :D

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Hi Oldbadger,

See, the way this works is:

An RF member posts about a problem they're having or something they're going through. . .
--- other members read their post and . .
--- offer advice or condolences or. ..
--- share similar experiences or. . .
--- shut the hell up.

This is called community.

Don't think so.
'Community' tells folks as much truth as possible, and those alternative viewpoints can sometimes divert mindsets to better ways of thinking.

Your ideas about community don't seem quite helpful or 'true to counselling' to me.

Sorry!

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
He might have discovered how much you moan about him?
Maybe then he should stop being an alcoholic jerk and think about other people?

But the best way is to think of how you can sort problems, rather than expect your parents to do it all.
I don't think my expectations are unreasonable. Night time is quiet time. This tends to be the case in most households. He sleeps during the day and is awake at night. I'm the opposite. Guess which one is normal?

And since you started out with smashing tellie to pieces etc.... all very aggressive, I felt that you wouldn't mind some alternatives ideas to those which you probably expected or wanted.
You realise I wasn't being serious?

Now you sleep well tonite...... with some modern inner ear sound attenuators...... they cost zilch and work wonders.... how do I know? ..... I use 'em! :D
After repeated ear infections as a child, I cannot wear them. I cannot wear inner ear earphones. They hurt and repeatedly fall out no matter what I do. Otherwise, don't you think I would have tried?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Don't think so.
'Community' tells folks as much truth as possible, and those alternative viewpoints can sometimes divert mindsets to better ways of thinking.

Your ideas about community don't seem quite helpful or 'true to counselling' to me.

Sorry!
That whole post was a hint, ans apparently you didn't get it.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Are you an adult?

Sometimes things are complicated and it's best not to make assumptions and judgments based on those assumptions

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Also, how can people sleep with the T.V. on??? Why??
Sometimes it helps me. I don't know how. I don't know why. But sometimes, though not often, it helps me fall to sleep.
I also don't like silence when I sleep. I don't like disruptive noises, like snoring, talking, doors opening, whatever, but I typically do have music on (often electronic or industrial so I can focus on the rhythm and "trance myself" to sleep), and my absolute most favorite and ideal sleeping conditions includes a background chorus of all the nocturnal bugs and critters. Not one of those fake sound machine sacrilegious wastes of existence, but the actual sounds of the night.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Sometimes it helps me. I don't know how. I don't know why. But sometimes, though not often, it helps me fall to sleep.
I also don't like silence when I sleep. I don't like disruptive noises, like snoring, talking, doors opening, whatever, but I typically do have music on (often electronic or industrial so I can focus on the rhythm and "trance myself" to sleep), and my absolute most favorite and ideal sleeping conditions includes a background chorus of all the nocturnal bugs and critters. Not one of those fake sound machine sacrilegious wastes of existence, but the actual sounds of the night.
I can get the natural sounds stuff.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Don't think so.
Community is also understanding and makes judgements based on that understanding instead of making generalized conclusions.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
I work nights, so have to sleep during the day. Get some blackout curtains. They work. That will remedy the problem with the lights going on and off at all hours of the night.