• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Turn Your TV Off! Smash it! Kill it!

Thief

Rogue Theologian
So, on a night when I'm in bed it should be dark and silent. Night time! But no. Dad has to have the T.V. on droning behind me all night, it's enough to make me really lose it. And then I notice, wherever I go in this house or anybody's house there's always some T.V. prattling in the background. No-one's actually watching on listening, but it's on.

I mean is it so hard just to take it and throw it out the window?

Or I don't know, turn it off?

What is it with these people who need something droning on 24/7? You afraid of the silence? What? I mean all I'm asking for is quiet and darkness on a night, but now I have some random house's sensor light on and off and on and off all night! I wouldn't have a right to complain if I lived in a city, but I live in a tiny village out in nowhere land. Is it too much to ask??

Turn your crap off!!
I agree

my familiars leave it on.....for the dog
as if the constant sound of the 24hr weather report could be a comfort
when no one else is home

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Nope.
I suppose I could.

And I did. My grandparents told me to take it down. It was a blanket. I have blinds and curtains. I mean it's beyond ridiculous.

You need block out curtains (they let in no light)....a sleep mask to make sure there is no light sneaking in anywhere and the moldable earplugs that form to the shape of your ears. If no one else will consider your plight, you have to do it yourself. o_O

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
And I did. My grandparents told me to take it down. It was a blanket. I have blinds and curtains. I mean it's beyond ridiculous.
Another for black out curtains. Even in daylight they'll keep your room well darkened.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I live in the U.K.
Thankyou for that.

OK..... at least doctors appointments are free, and I think that uis where you need to start out for advice about noise at night. If modern 'soft' in-ear defenders can work for you then nmost iof the noise problem is over. ......

If not, then it could be time to caste around for some other home. Somehow, Somewhere.

If not, Counselling (free, through your doctors) might produce ideas about the problem with your Dad that you did not think of before. Counselors do not give advice but their questions lead people to discover ideas for themselves. It's free...... !

Now for the less good news. Last time I checked, offspring that have reached 18 years of age have no rights to their parent's homes unless they are included on the deeds, or have some kind of lien on the premises. Your Dad could not just evict a guest who had stayed more than a certain time, or a lodger, or a tenant, or just about anybody....... but a child of 18yrs or over he can..... but please check for any updates about that. When you wrote that your Dad had shut you out of the house and that you had called the police I thought of the 'out at 18' situation here in the UK. Ergo, be careful with any advice from other countries about any kind of confrontations.

What this means is that you need good counselling about how to communicate your feelings to him, but I honestly think that you should only share your feelings with professional folks like counselors etc.... I personally wouldn't trust social workers because in the past they have broken trust with such info..... sad but true.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
It offers something to pay effortless minimal attention to,
thereby quieting one's roiling sleep-stealing thoughts.
It's strange, isn't it, how noise can send some folks to sleep. An 80hp Kelvin marine diesel throbbing away at 1000 revs used to send me away with no trouble. Still could ...... When my wife was in hospital and so ill I couldn't sleep until I remembered about the old kelvin .... I tried various sounds and some music could do the trick as well.