• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TSA doubles fines for people who refuse to wear masks at airports, in other transportation settings

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
TSA doubles fines for people who refuse to wear masks at airports, in other transportation settings (msn.com)

upload_2021-9-9_20-20-16.png

People who refuse to comply with a federal mandate that requires them to wear masks in airports, and on trains, buses and in other public transportation settings will face stiffer penalties, Biden administration officials announced Thursday.

Beginning Friday, the fine for refusing to wear a mask will increase to a range of $500 to $1,000 for first offenders. Penalties for a second offense will range from $1,000 to $3,000.

“TSA will double the fines on travelers that refuse to mask,” President Biden said Thursday. “If you break the rules, be prepared to pay. And by the way, show some respect!”

The stiffer penalties are part of aggressive new actions the administration is taking to combat the spread of the coronavirus. The highly contagious delta variant has fueled a sharp uptick in infections this summer and is causing more than 1,500 daily deaths, chiefly among those who have not been vaccinated. More than 655,000 people in the United States have died of the virus.

Biden’s actions Thursday include mandating vaccines for all federal workers and contractors who do business with the government and requiring businesses that employ more than 100 workers to ensure workers are vaccinated or undergo weekly testing.

$500-1000 for first offenders. Second offense gets a fine of $1000-3000. It also applies to trains and buses, too.

Considering how defiant many people are about wearing masks, I imagine the federal government will be collecting a lot of fines.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
TSA doubles fines for people who refuse to wear masks at airports, in other transportation settings (msn.com)

$500-1000 for first offenders. Second offense gets a fine of $1000-3000. It also applies to trains and buses, too.

Considering how defiant many people are about wearing masks, I imagine the federal government will be collecting a lot of fines.
People who refuse to wear masks do so out of noble principle, ie,
thumbing their nose at The Man, & flaunting their invulnerability.
But a more important principle to them is avoiding spendy fines.
It's the reason they avoid (somewhat) driving drunk.
They don't care for the safety of others, but at least they care about their wallets.

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
People who refuse to wear masks do so out of noble principle,
ie, thumbing their nose at The Man, & flaunting invulnerability.
But a more important principle to them is avoiding spendy fines.
It's the reason they avoid (somewhat) driving drunk.
They don't care for the safety of others, but at least they care about their wallets.

Either that, or they might seek out alternative forms of transportation. If flying or riding a train/bus without a mask is not an option, people might drive instead. That would mean an increase in road traffic and more consumption of fuel.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Either that, or they might seek out alternative forms of transportation. If flying or riding a train/bus without a mask is not an option, people might drive instead. That would mean an increase in road traffic and more consumption of fuel.
That would be their choice.
Also just staying home.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes, although traffic would get worse, pollution would get worse, and fuel demand would increase. I guess there's a trade-off for everything.
I suspect that they'd comply with the mask rule
rather than clog the highways.
Address what is likely rather than what's possible.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I suspect that they'd comply with the mask rule
rather than clog the highways.
Address what is likely rather than what's possible.

Yeah, although many people seem quite defiant about masks, more than one might expect or consider reasonable. I've also seen reports of increases of unruly passengers, some even getting violent. It seems many would rather die on that hill rather than comply.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yeah, although many people seem quite defiant about masks, more than one might expect or consider reasonable. I've also seen reports of increases of unruly passengers, some even getting violent. It seems many would rather die on that hill rather than comply.
They're ready to die....but to part with $3000...not so much.
Death isn't on their radar...money is.
(This is what I hear from anti-vaxers & non-vaxers I know IRL.)

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
They're just masks --- what's the big deal?
They already require shoes, pants, and other cumbersome accoutrements. Nobody seems up in arms about these.

Are some conservatives just pathologically resistant to change or novelty?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
They already require shoes, pants, and other cumbersome accoutrements. Nobody seems up in arms about these.

I don't know about people you run with, but I know
liberals, progressives & conservatives pulling this ****.
It might just be my area.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
They're ready to die....but to part with $3000...not so much.
Death isn't on their radar...money is.
(This is what I hear from anti-vaxers & non-vaxers I know IRL.)

That may be why some are offering financial incentives for people to get vaccinated.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That may be why some are offering financial incentives for people to get vaccinated.
Tis amazing how often I hear such stuff....
"I have a strong immune system. I won't catch it."
"I don't get sick." "It's all exaggerated."
"No one I know has caught it."

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I don't know but I've seen reports of recent incidents where people are even getting violent over mask mandates, particularly in the schools. There's been a ruckus at multiple school board meetings across the country.

On a personal level, even though I've been fully vaccinated, I still follow the current guidelines and wear a mask where required. I expect to get a booster in a couple of months. If people don't want to wear a mask, I don't personally feel at great risk, although I recognize that others are in a higher risk category.

What really boils my blood is when I hear stories of people wearing masks and minding their own business, and get approached by some anti-mask fanatic harassing them and telling them to take off their masks. Some even get violent. Those people should be locked up, as they're a clear and present danger. I think someone coined the term "maskhole" for that lot.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I know a lot of people who have caught it, although it seems to vary in intensity. Some had almost no symptoms or side effects, while others were in the hospital for weeks.

I think a lot of people are just cold-blooded, even despite a public image of superficial humanism. A lot of people simply don't care about their fellow human beings.

Last edited: