• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trying To Understand Atheism

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I see no evidence for your God. I dont believe he exists at all. Yet I would describe myself as agnostic atheist since (wait for it) yours is NOT the only definitiin of God. Some definitions are quite vague...
I don't believe in those.

Some are naturalistic...
I don't believe in those, either.

Some are non-interventionist.
I don't believe in those.

So any atheist with hubris needs to allow that there could be some type of greater being. This is not 'flakey', but rather allowance for our own human ignorance.
It's not hubris to understand that the world doesn't need god/gods, that it gets along just fine without them. It's not a matter of knowledge, but of practicality.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
It's not hubris to understand that the world doesn't need god/gods, that it gets along just fine without them. It's not a matter of knowledge, but of practicality.

I'm an atheist, and I allow that there is a limit to my knowledge. Utility is an entirely different argument.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
We're a good ways into the conversation now, and nobody has explained how you can find gods unlikely without believing the don't exist.
You're moving your goalposts. In the OP, it was "they do not see any reason to believe that gods exist", but now it's "they find gods unlikely." Which is it?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
In real life, I've never met a single person who has claimed not to understand what a god is, it is a minority view. As such it doesn't have a big effect when making a generalisation about most atheists.
So what's a god, then? You do understand what a god is, don't you?

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
Some atheists will claim there are no gods. You have to look at the definition of atheist. It basically means we have a non belief in a god or gods but we don't claim to know for certain that there are non ever because we can change our position if substantial evidence arises.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Neither of the three are a mere absence of belief however. They are real definite positions.
  1. There is no God.
  2. I do not believe in God.
  3. I don't know.
All three of your positions are compatible with theism. There are more gods than just God-with-a-capital-G monotheism.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
You're moving your goalposts. In the OP, it was "they do not see any reason to believe that gods exist", but now it's "they find gods unlikely." Which is it?

They are the same. If you see no reason for them to exist, you will find their existence unlikely.

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
They are the same. If you see no reason for them to exist, you will find their existence unlikely.
Multiple gods are no less likely than the monotheistic one, and plenty of monotheists believe in "saints" and "angels" that play the role of lesser gods in polytheistic religions.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
They aren't the same:

- "I see no reason to believe gods exist": I don't have any positive evidence for gods (but don't necessarily have any evidence against the existence of gods).

- "I find the existence of gods unlikely": I have some amount of evidence against the existence of gods.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
They aren't the same:

- "I see no reason to believe gods exist": I don't have any positive evidence for gods (but don't necessarily have any evidence against the existence of gods).

- "I find the existence of gods unlikely": I have some amount of evidence against the existence of gods.
Now, substitute Bigfoot.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Atheism is a fantasy. Just like flat earth is. They both refuse to confront the reality.
Which reality do you think atheists refuse to confront?

Can you point me to any observable fact that I could confirm for myself that's incompatible with a god-free worldview?

sovietchild

Which reality do you think atheists refuse to confront?

Can you point me to any observable fact that I could confirm for myself that's incompatible with a god-free worldview?

Lets start with the basic one. If the earth was inches closer to the sun it would too hot, if the earth was inches farther away it would be too cold.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
The correct list goes like this:

Theist: Believes god(s) exist.
Weak atheist: Absence of belief gods exist, absence of belief gods don't exist.
Strong atheist: Absence of belief gods exist, presence of belief gods don't exist.
No matter how many times you repeat it. I reject the whole idea that there is such a thing as an absence of belief. I'm not budging on this. Atheism is a position, not a lack of one.

2 and 3 would both be atheists, as they both lack a belief in deities.
Two and three are atheists, but neither positions are a mere "lack" of a belief. In either case you are making a real claim about what you think about the existence of God. The only difference between two and three is the degree of certainty.

ArtieE

No matter how many times you repeat it. I reject the whole idea that there is such a thing as an absence of belief. I'm not budging on this. Atheism is a position, not a lack of one.
Then I can't help you. For the others who read this I recommend going to the American Atheist website where they explain in detail what atheism is. A lack of belief. It's under Activism Resources.

Last edited: