• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

trying to mix christianity with bits and parts of other faiths

Milton Platt

I'm on the road of sincerely trying to mix christianity with other faiths. In my seeking, for example, I got close to Zeus too besides Jesus and don't want to deny this. I also embraced Durga, Odin, the Buddha and others. But I have no good education in this, ie I only know the names of the deities and some stories and that was it. And both my christian friends and the members of other religions say I can't mix Christ and other faiths. I do not want to leave Jesus because he came to me a few times and I am still so much loving him. I wish I knew what to do. Sometimes I do not like the bible because it sometimes speaks in such a language of exclusivism that I feel like there's nothing for me in it. At other times I get out on the other side and see the world-loving Yahweh and the mankind-loving Jesus and just feel happy in this faith. I hang out at tentmaker.org a lot where I learned to read the bible positively.

In the same time I lately get into the fear of death a lot, especially the death of loved ones. Masha Kaleko wrote a good poem about that, one verse reads: "your own death you only have to die, with the death of others you must live".

I also have to say that I am mentally sick. I have schizophrenia. In this illness I switch between odd manias and depressed times. It's all a bit awkward to explain but for example I have believed in telepathy and that I am a prophet and that the whole world is entering a deep new time. I've cried about the wars in Syria and in Africa. I've been so afraid of nazi history that I can't read it anymore. And sometimes I felt pushed into atheism because I prayed and nothing seems to have come from God. But atheism is such a bleak view of life really. When it all ends with death, what's the sense of love? My dad died 7 years ago and it's like he has fully disappeared from our family life. We sometimes recount the past but my 3 sisters believe my dad is gone forever now and that there can't be God and Heaven. My christian mother has some faith in the afterlife but I feel like she is just sentimental lately, she doesn't seem to really believe we're going to an afterlife when we die.

What would you do now?

Why not begin with what we actually know to be true about reality and any holy text that does not conform to that reality, simply reject?

Milton Platt

I'm on the road of sincerely trying to mix christianity with other faiths. In my seeking, for example, I got close to Zeus too besides Jesus and don't want to deny this. I also embraced Durga, Odin, the Buddha and others. But I have no good education in this, ie I only know the names of the deities and some stories and that was it. And both my christian friends and the members of other religions say I can't mix Christ and other faiths. I do not want to leave Jesus because he came to me a few times and I am still so much loving him. I wish I knew what to do. Sometimes I do not like the bible because it sometimes speaks in such a language of exclusivism that I feel like there's nothing for me in it. At other times I get out on the other side and see the world-loving Yahweh and the mankind-loving Jesus and just feel happy in this faith. I hang out at tentmaker.org a lot where I learned to read the bible positively.

In the same time I lately get into the fear of death a lot, especially the death of loved ones. Masha Kaleko wrote a good poem about that, one verse reads: "your own death you only have to die, with the death of others you must live".

I also have to say that I am mentally sick. I have schizophrenia. In this illness I switch between odd manias and depressed times. It's all a bit awkward to explain but for example I have believed in telepathy and that I am a prophet and that the whole world is entering a deep new time. I've cried about the wars in Syria and in Africa. I've been so afraid of nazi history that I can't read it anymore. And sometimes I felt pushed into atheism because I prayed and nothing seems to have come from God. But atheism is such a bleak view of life really. When it all ends with death, what's the sense of love? My dad died 7 years ago and it's like he has fully disappeared from our family life. We sometimes recount the past but my 3 sisters believe my dad is gone forever now and that there can't be God and Heaven. My christian mother has some faith in the afterlife but I feel like she is just sentimental lately, she doesn't seem to really believe we're going to an afterlife when we die.

What would you do now?

like mixing dog poop with cat poop...it's still poop.

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
Trablano,

Not sure I know how to answer your question of whether 'Jesus Father is the same as Brahman in Hinduism' -- I know very little Christianity, except for the trinity of Father - Son and Holy Spirit, I know nothing of Christianity. I am unable to answer your question.

Why I see that Rama is the same as Allah and Jesus comes from my (little) understanding of Rama's natal horoscope (astrology/Jyotish). I believe signatures in there speak of a pure Brahman and that they are satisfactory marks to be applied across religions... I will discuss that in case there is interest, but let me tell you, I don't have much to say regarding that.

Ganesha and Shiva are also absolutely brilliant choices! Yes, like you say, you can switch between various deities - Sri Adi Sankara deviced the so-called 'panchayata worship' (5-fold worship) of 5 major deities in Hinduism, called 'Smartism' and it is a very valid branch to worship both Shaiva and Vaishnava deities (the 2 major sects). Also 'Shaktism' that focuses on devi, like on ma Durga, whom you worshiped before is a valid path, I only did not comment on that, because I saw your other thread in the Hinduism Dir, wherein you stated Durga's messenger spoke to you and thought there is some confusion on this accord, of which I may not know anything!

Good luck, and if there is any help that I may be able to provide to you, I will be very happy to!

Milton Platt

Try to be a good person, make sure to take all your meds as you're supposed to, and definitely don't do any drugs or alcohol as these will simply make your illness worse, following this regimen, my mental illness has gone into remission and I no longer have manic or depressed episodes, however I still need the medicine to sleep.

I applaud your strength.

Sundance

pursuing the Divine Beloved
Premium Member

Brother trablano, I feel you. I know fully where you're coming from. I agree with sister Viraja when she says remain a Christian but cultivate an appreciation for other religions. I went through this, myself. If there's anything I understand, brother it's this:

My sincere love for the Light reflected through my Lamp (Bahá’u’lláh) (albeit, imperfect on my end) doesn't at all preclude me from cultivating a sincere love for the Light shown through other Lamps. For the Light is what's important.

Witnessing in others that same deeply sincere love that they have for their religions has strengthened, just bolstered my devotion to my own, because I recognize that, through it all, we're all trying to make sense of who we are, our place within the Universe, and the world we live in.

You've got a very real love for Jesus Christ. That's a wonderful thing! A beautiful thing. DON'T LOSE IT! IT'S VERY PRECIOUS! As I said before, religions are here to help us understand the same basic questions of life (through different expressions), and to help us live life more fully. To understand this is the key to not only cultivating a sincere appreciation for other religions, but that'll also allow you to deepen in devotion to your own, which is very important. I hope my advice can be of help to you. Stay positive, brother. :)

P.S. there’s a very groovy saying that I think will help you. Give you something to contemplate, but with a warning.

”Home is where the heart is.”

“Let not your heart walk away from you, lest your mind grow legs and follow it.”
(That's a quote from Spongebob Squarepants...)

Brother trablano, where's your heart?

Last edited:

arthra

Baha'i

What would you do now?

For one thing I'd urge you to follow the prescription of a wise physician/psychiatrist.. i.e., be sure you're taking your prescribed meds...and you might avail yourself of group therapy and or individual therapy if it's available.

can Jesus Father be the same like the Brahman in hinduism? That would help me a lot harmonizing my spirituality but maybe I'm overseeing something as hinduism has very complex theologies and I'm not well-read in its scriptures yet.

For me there's one God whether it be called "Brahman" "Allah" or "God"... God sends us Messengers from time to time for the guidance of humanity. There was an ancient covenant that God will not leave us alone without Divine Guidance. There is also the love of God for us in not leaving us alone without Divine Guidance...

"O son Of man! Veiled in My immemorial being and in the ancient eternity of My essence, I knew My love for thee; therefore I created thee, have engraved on thee Mine image and revealed to thee My beauty."

We also can attempt to return that love by our pure devotion to Him and when you have such love for God, show your love for humanity by goodly and pure deeds.

trablano

Hello,

I've wanted to give a report of my exploration so far and describe what I believe in.

I really think there are more gods than Jesus and they are free, but Jesus is a powerful name and he is very respected in the Heavens and the other gods consider him to be very strong and important. In Jesus many things come together, he was not only Yawheh's son but also kind of a son of the cosmos and a wonder child. The important thing to understand is that we are completely the same as Jesus. He is a master but loves love and freedom so much that he doesn't want to lord things over to us. That is how Jesus, when He comes to people, can also be received as a Spirit of love and freedom. In that way He can reach atheists and hindus and muslims too.

In my further study and meditation I also came to the conclusion that Jesus Christ who walked the Earth was also something like an Avatar of the Christ Spirit that is the true son of Yahweh. This Christ Spirit comes to us when we pray, the Avatar Jesus is like a Saint who does missions and sometimes sits on a spiritual throne. But the Christ Spirit is omnipresent in God and can do more than the Avatar Jesus usually.

But also the indian and the chinese gods exist, Zeus and the hellenic gods, Odin and his family and so on. It is worthwhile to pray to them. I do not believe in everything about christianity anymore. I've found many warm and loving and tolerant christians, but some are also hard hearted and do not embrace people of other faiths. But just yesterday I went to our old town church and prayed to an old christian there and besides him being more christian unlike me who I have sometimes strayed from christianity, we quickly understood each other and I felt a strong sense of christian brotherhood brought by the Christ Spirit. I can have my unusual theologies and yet am still loved by other christians.

And then, we all feel the distress of the world at this time with the civil war in Syria and the problems in Africa and so on. But let us not forget that other countries like China, India and some in South America have prospered in the last years. That is a topic that is not very discussed in the common western medias. We were so afraid of globalisation that we didn't recognize that wealth has flown to poorer places who are now getting strong and healthy. That was our big mistake and we need to be aware of it. But still we have a good heart when we look at Syria and other war-torn places of the world. Maybe we need to pray for them all. This didn't really happen yet in large scale and that was wrong of us because prayer is powerful and could have helped Syria and could have sparked charitable action in us.

So, that was all for today. God bless you!

Kapalika

Premium Member
also have to say that I am mentally sick. I have schizophrenia. In this illness I switch between odd manias and depressed times.

I'm no expert on schizophrenia but this gives me the vibe of bipolar, not schizophrenia. Manic episodes can have delusions and warped perception so it's not that far off.

Satanism and too fundamentalistic christianity are really not that different.

This is nonsense.

Nobody can take satanism seriously. He's just a symbol for evil anyway, and I cannot choose evil because I've suffered from it and hate it. And I'm impressed by those who are sincerely virtuous and friends of mankind.

Do you really think Satan is evil? Funny then that that is the case in only 1 or 2 religions and not in the religion he originated from (Judaism).

It's easy to see that satanism and fundie christianity are similar. Both condemn those who do not want to play along with hell.

If you took the time to do so little as read the wikipedia article or something similar on Satanism, even just five minutes of research you would know just how cringe worthy off base and wrong you are about Satanism.

Today I also prayed to Shiva and it was my impression that Shiva talks to the divine spark in us that is a self and I got to know that self realization actually is a duty in hinduism whereas it so looked down upon in christianity. And I'm feeling release in hinduism's polytheism that allows me to "switch" from one God to the other if it's getting too tedious or complicated. I think Ganesha may fulfill that role sometimes providing gentleness and even a sacred sense of fun in religion when you can't hear one of the musical styles anymore or have become too full or too tired of a particular mantra song serving.

What I am curious about, can Jesus Father be the same like the Brahman in hinduism? That would help me a lot harmonizing my spirituality but maybe I'm overseeing something as hinduism has very complex theologies and I'm not well-read in its scriptures yet.

And thank you for the kind comment and the warm greetings, God bless you too and have a good day!

1) There are a lot of duties in Hinduism. IMO it isn't something you just adapt little bits and pieces of, it's an entire way of going about life.

2) Hinduism isn't polytheistic, at least in any sense that a western mindset would understand. But it's also kind of complicated. Everything is itself but one at the same time.

3) No, the Father in Christianity is a personality, personalities can't be Brahman as Brahman is impersonal.

4) If you take the time to study scripture make sure you are actually studying something consistent with the school or sect you are believing in. There is a book: The Essentials of Hinduism: A Comprehensive Overview of the World's Oldest Religion: Swami Bhaskarananda: 9781884852046: Amazon.com: Books Which I would recommend you pick up if you want a good, accessible overview to Hinduism in general. There are of course some sects ect not mentioned, but it's a good starting point and if you are not after something a little more obscure or less orthodox that book will more than suffice to decide where to go from there.

Hello,

I've wanted to give a report of my exploration so far and describe what I believe in.

I really think there are more gods than Jesus and they are free, but Jesus is a powerful name and he is very respected in the Heavens and the other gods consider him to be very strong and important. In Jesus many things come together, he was not only Yawheh's son but also kind of a son of the cosmos and a wonder child. The important thing to understand is that we are completely the same as Jesus. He is a master but loves love and freedom so much that he doesn't want to lord things over to us. That is how Jesus, when He comes to people, can also be received as a Spirit of love and freedom. In that way He can reach atheists and hindus and muslims too.

In my further study and meditation I also came to the conclusion that Jesus Christ who walked the Earth was also something like an Avatar of the Christ Spirit that is the true son of Yahweh. This Christ Spirit comes to us when we pray, the Avatar Jesus is like a Saint who does missions and sometimes sits on a spiritual throne. But the Christ Spirit is omnipresent in God and can do more than the Avatar Jesus usually.

But also the indian and the chinese gods exist, Zeus and the hellenic gods, Odin and his family and so on. It is worthwhile to pray to them. I do not believe in everything about christianity anymore. I've found many warm and loving and tolerant christians, but some are also hard hearted and do not embrace people of other faiths. But just yesterday I went to our old town church and prayed to an old christian there and besides him being more christian unlike me who I have sometimes strayed from christianity, we quickly understood each other and I felt a strong sense of christian brotherhood brought by the Christ Spirit. I can have my unusual theologies and yet am still loved by other christians.

I personally find the mixing of Hinduism and Christianity to be a disservice to both. They are way too opposed and the idea of the Christian version of Yahweh being more than an Asura, if he even exists, is a foreign concept to me. I don't see him as somehow an actual God let alone a good or moral one.