• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trusting the Bible

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I trust the bible because I understand it.
It's coming through a crack in the wall
on a visionary flood of alcohol
From the staggering account
of the sermon on the mount
Which I don't pretend to understand at all.

(the gospel according to Leonard)

A

angellous_evangellous

And you know this how?

(our friend doesn't know what 'arbitrary' means, that's all)

Just a courtesy:
"based on or determined by individual preference or convenience rather than by necessity or the intrinsic nature of something <an arbitrary standard><take any arbitrary positive number><arbitrary division of historical studies into watertight compartments — A. J. Toynbee>"

Last edited by a moderator:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I read it in several places.

OK? Like when someone wrote "all scripture is inspired of God"? I believe that it the truth. Guess what? Nuclear armaments inspire peace. Do they not?
Or if you like them to match better this: Peace is inspired by nuclear warheads.

A

angellous_evangellous

I read it in several places.

To no one in particular - it's in the damn prefaces of the modern translations (how they chose the texts). If there is no preface that outlines the textual theory used in a given edition of a Bible, it's probably not a translation but a paraphrase of another translation or some type of amended edition.

In any case, the textual theory is the arbitrary means of collecting the text into the artificial single volume 'Bible.'

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
To no one in particular - it's in the damn prefaces of the modern translations (how they chose the texts). If there is no preface that outlines the textual theory used in a given edition of a Bible, it's probably not a translation but a paraphrase of another translation or some type of amended edition.

In any case, the textual theory is the arbitrary means of collecting the text into the artificial single volume 'Bible.'
Wow! That is beautiful!

jojom

OK? Like when someone wrote "all scripture is inspired of God"? I believe that it the truth. Guess what? Nuclear armaments inspire peace. Do they not?
Or if you like them to match better this: Peace is inspired by nuclear warheads.
Ah, we're---at least, I am---- not talking about any message of Bible, but how it was translated. Recall I was addressing angellous_evangellous' remark "the Bible' is an arbitrary translation of a collection of text." I take exception to his description of it as "arbitrary."

arbitrary

adjective ar·bi·trary \ˈär-bə-ˌtrer-ē, -ˌtre-rē\
: not planned or chosen for a particular reason : not based on reason or evidence
: done without concern for what is fair or right

(Merriam-Webster)
And FYI, I don't believe any god or power from above had anything to do with it.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Ah, we're---at least, I am---- not talking about any message of Bible, but how it was translated. Recall I was addressing angellous_evangellous' remark "the Bible' is an arbitrary translation of a collection of text." I take exception to his description of it as "arbitrary."

arbitrary

: not planned or chosen for a particular reason : not based on reason or evidence

(Merriam-Webster)

I disagree with you. I am as certain as a human can be that the Bible we have was not translated with concern for what is fair and right. I believe that even before Jesus scripture was interpreted to further some powerful person or person's agendas.

A

angellous_evangellous

arbitrary

(Merriam-Webster)
And FYI, I don't believe any god or power from above had anything to do with it.

Fascinating how many people can cite a dictionary and STILL NOT UNDERSTAND THE WORD.

You should be ashamed of yourself. Seriously.

A

angellous_evangellous

How does this "textual theory" read?

Depends on the translation. If you had read anything, you would have seen this term. Basically, translators briefly describe the criteria they used for selecting the texts that they translated (this is called 'textual theory'). In general, translators can follow a majority text theory (presenting the translation of the majority of a given text) or use the oldest text. Nowadays it is somewhere in between - translators use more complex reasoning for choosing the most authoritative text.

If my words are too big for you, I will be happy to provide definitions.

jojom

I disagree with you. I am as certain as a human can be that the Bible we have was not translated with concern for what is fair and right. I believe that even before Jesus scripture was interpreted to further some powerful person or person's agendas.
But doing it with some agenda in mind defiantly precludes it from being arbitrary. As for being fair or right, this would depend on whose fairness and rightness one is talking about. And in this case, in as much as we're talking about the circumstances surrounding the actual translation, to not be fair and right would to be so in regard to the translators' "contract": to go against the wishes and expectations of whoever is sponsoring the translation. That you or anyone else may think a particular piece of translation isn't right is beside the point. What matters is that in translating a piece, the translator(s) was not purposely doing so without any concern for doing it right or fairly. And from what I've read this was never the case.