• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump proposes year in prison for blasphemy

tytlyf

Not Religious
Welcome to the Fascist state. It'll only get worse. "He's only been in office 100 days, let's give him time!"

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Let's see. What are *legally* seen as dishonoring and honoring the flag?

Dishonoring the flag:
1. Wearing it as part of a piece of clothing
2. Flying it lower than any other flag
3. Allowing it to touch the ground
4. Using it as a cover for a statue

Honoring the flag:
1. Burning the old flag in a ceremony

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
‘President Donald Trump suggested passing a law to make the burning of illegal flags during his speech at a rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma, lamenting the demonstrations he saw throughout the country...

...Trump told his supporters gathering in a half-filled arena.

“And you know, we have to do something, Mr. Senator, we have two big senators, we have to make a law that if you burn the American flag, you go to prison for one year,” added the president, turning to Oklahoma Senator Jim Inhofe and James Lankford. “Jim and James, you know we have to do it. You know, they talk about free speech, and I believe in free speech. But that is blasphemy.”

Read more here: Trump proposes making illegal flag burning, calling it “blasphemy”

I anxiously await the outrage from all the conservative free speech advocates about this.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I anxiously await the outrage from all the conservative free speech advocates about this.
Well we could always burn a rainbow flag or something to see what the reaction would be like. I'm sure there would be no outrage whatsoever on the other side of the aisle when it comes to iconic representation.

tytlyf

Not Religious
Lot's of blasphemy in this video. Flags everywhere. This is a BlueLivesMatter rally and these people are extremely angry and volatile
Start at 1 minute. The guy filming even admits he was paid $50 to be there by George Soros.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Well we could always burn a rainbow flag or something to see what the reaction would be like. I'm sure there would be no outrage whatsoever on the other side of the aisle when it comes to iconic representation.
The “other side” would not lock you in a cell for burning a rainbow flag. They might exercise their freedom of speech.

Twilight Hue

Oh wait a minute.

Burning a rainbow gay pride flag is a version of hate speech. An arrestable offense. Well golly gee.

My my my...

Well it's just a simple matter now of making it a hate crime against Americans.

Trump is just helping the left prevent hate crimes from occurring. I mean after all he was a Democrat once. You should love the guy for helping you out so much.

It is just a stupid flag that means nothing after all. Right?

Twilight Hue

The “other side” would not lock you in a cell for burning a rainbow flag. They might exercise their freedom of speech.
Oh I wish I could have seen that earlier but I digress...

Apparently it can get you locked up in a cell.

And the perp was a black man. Try to figure that one out! Lol.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member

Conservatives who claim to be deeply philosophically committed to the ideal of absolute free speech would doubtless spring to the defense of anyone burning a rainbow flag. Yet they'll remain silent and vote for a guy who wants it to literally be a crime punishable with prison time to burn an American flag. The glaring cognitive dissonance must drive them all to drink.

Twilight Hue

Conservatives who claim to be deeply philosophically committed to the ideal of absolute free speech would doubtless spring to the defense of anyone burning a rainbow flag. Yet they'll remain silent and vote for a guy who wants it to literally be a crime punishable with prison time to burn an American flag. The glaring cognitive dissonance must drive them all to drink.

Well I suppose one could always go the tried-and-true arson charge route, even portray such people as being dangerous and a risk to society in view of their assault on an iconic objects and imagery, and save some face to look like one's accusers are pure little angels themselves with only the best interest in mind. Nobody would ever never see through that alternate approach.

Maybe a couple beers at the round table.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Well I suppose one could always go the tried-and-true arson charge route, even portray such people as being dangerous and a risk to society in view of their assault on an iconic objects and imagery, and save some face to look like one's accusers are pure little angels themselves with only the best interest in mind. Nobody would ever never see through that alternate approach.

Maybe a couple beers at the round table.

I'm not clear what rubber-glue point you're trying to make, but it isn't working.

Twilight Hue

I'm not clear what rubber-glue point you're trying to make, but it isn't working.
Oh, but it is working.

Spectacularly too I might add when you see the obvious hypocrisy of it all play out in real life for all the world to see.

You see I, as well as others I'm sure, don't particularly like when people accuse others of some manner of indiscretion and then do the same things themselves, while denying they are like those that they accuse.

Twilight Hue

The police can lock ylu up for many things, illegal or not. Thats for the judge to decide. However, the US Supreme Court has rule flag desecration as protected free speech.

It doesn't seem to help anybody.

I suppose that's the beauty of redundancy in lawmaking.

You can put out something, just about any type of legality for that matter, but yet develop a way around it to get a particular desired result at any given time.