• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Triple suicide at Guantanamo camp.

Nehustan

Three detainees at the US base in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, have died in what appears to have been a joint suicide pact, officials said.

The inmates - two Saudis and a Yemeni - hanged themselves in their cells, according to the camp's commander.
Rear Adm Harry Harris said the suicides had been clearly a planned event and were not spontaneous.
The US holds about 460 men at the facility on suspicion of links to al-Qaeda and the Afghan Taleban.
They are the first deaths reported at the detention centre. The men were found unresponsive and not breathing by guards, who noticed "something out of the ordinary" in the cells.

They hanged themselves with clothing and bed sheets, Rear Adm Harris said.
"The guard force and medical teams reacted quickly to attempt to save the detainee's life," he said, referring to the first suicide to be found.
It is not first time detainees have attempted to commit suicide since the camp was set up four years ago.
Forty-one attempts have been made by 25 prisoners since then.
'Warfare'

Rear Adm Harris said he did not believe the men had killed themselves out of despair.
"They are smart. They are creative, they are committed," he said, quoted by Reuters. "They have no regard for life, either ours or their own. I believe this was not an act of desperation, but an act of ...warfare waged against us."

maggie2

The commander of the prison, Admiral Harris said, "This was not an act of desperation, but one of asymmetrical warfare against us".

I cannot believe that someone would make such a stupid statement. How in heck can a person being held in a tiny cell commit warfare against anyone? This is the kind of sick propoganda that people need to start calling attention to and calling what it is: a totally false, ridiculous statement.

The sad thing is that there are people who will hear what this stupid man said and believe it. It is a sad day when such poison is allowed to flourish. This admiral should be relieved of his duties as it is quite obvious that he has left his brains back in the USA and hasn't taken them to Cuba with him. Either that or he thinks everyone else has parked their brains somewhere and we're all too stupid to realize that he's spouting propoganda.

Ody

Many nationalist prisoners lied about mistreatment by republican hands during the civil war.

greatcalgarian

Why did US capture all these people and hold them in prison? What did US expect to get out of these prisoners? Did these prisoners hold important information useful for US fight against terrorism? Is US trying hard to extract information from these prisoners? If these are very dangerous criminals, and no way of saving their soul, isn't it better to kill them in the battle field, rather than to capture them alive and torture them in the prison? Afterall, collateral damage is the norm and accidentally killing these people off will be much simpler than to keep them in confinement attracting so many international criticism.
From the comment of the Admiral, I form the opinion that these prisoners were treated as animals, and not human being?

kai

ragamuffin
maggie2 said:
The commander of the prison, Admiral Harris said, "This was not an act of desperation, but one of asymmetrical warfare against us".

I cannot believe that someone would make such a stupid statement. How in heck can a person being held in a tiny cell commit warfare against anyone? This is the kind of sick propoganda that people need to start calling attention to and calling what it is: a totally false, ridiculous statement.

The sad thing is that there are people who will hear what this stupid man said and believe it. It is a sad day when such poison is allowed to flourish. This admiral should be relieved of his duties as it is quite obvious that he has left his brains back in the USA and hasn't taken them to Cuba with him. Either that or he thinks everyone else has parked their brains somewhere and we're all too stupid to realize that he's spouting propoganda.

cast your mind back to the 70s and the irish republican armies hunger strike when bobby sands and others starved themselves to death while in prison.

maggie2

kai said:
cast your mind back to the 70s and the irish republican armies hunger strike when bobby sands and others starved themselves to death while in prison.

Right. However, that was, in my opinion, not an act of war any more than these suicides are. It was an act of defiance, however. I thought the definition of war is when you go out and kill your opponents, not yourself. And in today's world I guess I would have to add when you kill your opponents AND yourself, as in suicide bombings.

kai

ragamuffin
any way what gives with that place ,I personally think its wrong that they are not subject to due process of law,what are they POWs or criminals , this is bad propaganda for america it should be closed down and any other combatants should be treated as pows or something.

Nehustan

Update.

Guantanamo suicides a 'PR move'

A top US official has described the suicides of three detainees at the US base at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, as a "good PR move to draw attention".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/5069230.stm

I wondered what that Saatchi & Saatchi employee was doing on a flight to camp Xray.

camp_delta_Saatchi_campaign.jpg

"I know they are meant to be the enemy, but when I come up with a good idea....I just gotta roll with it"​