• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trigger warning: Do paralytics have the right to choose a comfortable death?

YeshuaRedeemed

Revelation 3:10
This is my body. I am not suicidal. If I were paralyzed or terminally ill. Forcing someone to be alive in those two situations that does not want to be is cruel and unusual punishment.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I can't agree more. I had a friend in high school break his neck and become paralyzed from the neck down.

Good God, why keep someone alive and tortured for years while someone spoon feeds them, inserts catheter, empties bladder bag, and changes depends? That's tough tedious work, and costly constant care!

I hear he got a girlfriend some how in that condition, so maybe got married and that gave him something out of living.

But I'd rather go to Auschwitz. I hear you can grab the electric fence in Auschwitz, go to the starvation bunker, or gas chamber for bad behavior.

I just say that as an example of how horrified I am of such a life!

I'd much rather prefer a death camp any day!

Yes, euthanasia should be an option for a quadrapalegic.

I discourage anyone from attempting suicide, and am not suicidal, but a comfortable physician assisted relief from misery, should be available for certain tortured souls! :(

Last edited by a moderator:

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Only a sadist would disagree I think [or someone who has no empathy, can't feel the pain. Or someone very rigid in his beliefs.]

Some claim we should not intervene with God's time. True don't go to the doctor to be kept alive as a green plant in the first place solves it euthanasia

Another simple solution "Don't play God judging the other person's choice"

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I wholeheartedly agree!!
I have seen what happens when the terminally ill (or even those who feel they have no more quality of life) choose to end their suffering. And it is unconscionable to watch them as they are forced to go to extremes rather than opt out, as it were. Humane actions must include the right to comfortably end one's life, provided there is air tight evidence that it is consensual and without any coercion, of course.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I wholeheartedly agree!!
I have seen what happens when the terminally ill (or even those who feel they have no more quality of life) choose to end their suffering. And it is unconscionable to watch them as they are forced to go to extremes rather than opt out, as it were. Humane actions must include the right to comfortably end one's life, provided there is air tight evidence that it is consensual and without any coercion, of course.
Do you think humans are the only animal that grasps the concept of death, therefore the only animal that can commit intentional suicide?

Of course, you don't know, just wondering what your hunch is?

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Do you think humans are the only animal that grasps the concept of death, therefore the only animal that can commit intentional suicide?

No I do not. Mourning can be found in the animal world, particularly among our ape brethren. Though I suspect running from predators leaves little time to wax philosophical about existential crises.

Last edited:

stvdv

No not only humans. Animals also grasp the concept of death. I know from personal experience

My butterfly story. Once walking in the ashram of Sai Baba while it was very hot. Barefoot I think, burning my feet on the road almost, I saw a big butterfly laying on the road burning in the heat. Feeling bad I put it aside in the grass. About 1 hour later returning I saw that the same butterfly being eaten by other small animals

I felt horrible. The butterfly landed on the road to choose a comfortable death by quick burning in heat over eaten slowly by animals. Since then I react less

Spiderman

Veteran Member
No I do not. Mourning can be found in the animal world, particularly among our ape brethren. Though I suspect running from predators leaves little time to wax philosophically about existential crises.
I'm not quite understanding which of my questions you are saying, "no I do not" to.

If im understanding you correctly, you believe other animals besides homo-sapiens can intentionally commit suicide?

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not quite understanding which of my questions you are saying, "no I do not" to.

If im understanding you correctly, you believe other animals besides homo-sapiens can intentionally commit suicide?
I believe that non human animals have a concept of death. I just think that since they rely on instincts, they perhaps do not ponder such things as we do. Perhaps we have too much time on our hands, I don't know. The instinct for survival is a very strong one. But in certain scenarios, perhaps an animal can choose to be "resigned to their fate" as it were.
TLDR I dunno, but it's entirely possible.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
No not only humans. Animals also grasp the concept of death. I know from personal experience

My butterfly story. Once walking in the ashram of Sai Baba while it was very hot. Barefoot I think, burning my feet on the road almost, I saw a big butterfly laying on the road burning in the heat. Feeling bad I put it aside in the grass. About 1 hour later returning I saw that the same butterfly being eaten by other small animals

I felt horrible. The butterfly landed on the road to choose a comfortable death by quick burning in heat over eaten slowly by animals. Since then I react less
Well, you better get to heaven and apologize to that butterfly. :)

The Insane Clown Posse dedicated every album to "the butterfly" because as children they accidentally killed a butterfly and promised each other that they would be good and get to heaven to apologise to the butterfly.

stvdv

Well, you better get to heaven and apologize to that butterfly. :)

The Insane Clown Posse dedicated every album to "the butterfly" because as children they accidentally killed a butterfly and promised each other that they would be good and get to heaven to apologise to the butterfly.
I rescued the butterfly from the other insects and put it back on the hot road if I remember well. Should I have stamped on it? That thought never came into my mind at that time [ashram is too peaceful to get such aggressive thoughts]. I do not need to apologize in heaven, I said already sorry that day (while butterfly was still alive), the butterfly died in the Ashram of Sai Baba. Bigger blessing is not possible IMO.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

We had 2 cats, one aging matriarch, one much younger (not related). They didn't really get on, more indifference than hostility.Towardw the end the younger spent more and more time with the matriarch as though she knew there was a problem. When the matriarch died the youngster searched, howled and pined for several months for her missing friend.

Concept of death or lost friendship? I don't know nor does it matter, the youngster was terribly upset at he loss either way.

I have also seen birds apparently commit intentional suicide. Later in the year as winter begins to hit i have often seen what i believe to be older sparrows standing in the road turned away from traffic and not flying away as vehicles approached.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I'm glad for supervised euthanasia chosen by the patient. About two days back a friend of one of my children passed. He was about 25. stuck in a wheelchair, and deteriorating. He had a genetic sensitivity to copper, and over time had poisoned himself (water pipes) unknowingly into a crippling state. He'd twice tried seriously to commit suicide by managing to haul himself out hospital windows. All it managed to do was break both legs. His mind was going, his body was practically gone, and there was no hope for recovery. Some friends mentioned to him that it is now possible to do this (suicide) legally. So he approached the doctors, they agreed, consulted, and he passed peacefully within a couple of weeks. It was sad, sure, but I'm happy for him too. May he rest in peace.

stvdv

So actually the doctors made him commit suicide by going against his wish to die. Doctors can't be told to "kill people". But this is the other extreme.

Just give him the pills and let him take them himself. Or tell him to stop eating/drinking

Just respect his "final wishes". Human's shouldn't act like God telling others "not to do suicide". Let them decide for themselves

It's cruel to disrespect someone's desire to say "enough is enough" IMO.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I rescued the butterfly from the other insects and put it back on the hot road if I remember well. Should I have stamped on it? That thought never came into my mind at that time [ashram is too peaceful to get such aggressive thoughts]. I do not need to apologize in heaven, I said already sorry that day (while butterfly was still alive), the butterfly died in the Ashram of Sai Baba. Bigger blessing is not possible IMO.
I was just joking about you going to heaven to apologise to a butterfly. :)

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Lemmings do it.
Just as a factoid, the lemming thing is actually a myth. The whole story about it is rather tragic. An early nature documentary by the Disney Company was looking to make some interesting footage to keep audiences engaged. They did this by purchasing a group of lemmings and bringing it to an Island and literally chasing them until they fell, then tried to get away by swimming out to sea.

stvdv

I was just joking about you going to heaven to apologise to a butterfly. :)
But I was serious when I said sorry to the butterfly:)

But I was getting aware that you were in "joking mode" now and then, as I just explained in another reply to you a few minutes ago.

Glad to hear that you are feeling better.

David1967

Premium Member
Just as a factoid, the lemming thing is actually a myth. The whole story about it is rather tragic. An early nature documentary by the Disney Company was looking to make some interesting footage to keep audiences engaged. They did this by purchasing a group of lemmings and bringing it to an Island and literally chasing them until they fell, then tried to get away by swimming out to sea.

For real? That's horrible.