• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Treasury Secretary Will Not Release Trumps Taxes to Democrats

Stanyon

WWMRD?
"Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin on Monday denied a request from House Democrats for access to six years of President Donald Trump's personal tax returns.
"I am informing you now that the Department may not lawfully fulfill the Committee's request," Mnuchin wrote in his one-page letter, written in consultation with lawyers from the Department of Justice."
"The denial comes after two missed deadlines by the Treasury secretary, who again in his letter said the request by House Ways and Means Chairman Richard Neal under an obscure statute of tax law is "unprecedented," arguing it raises "serious constitutional questions" that could have dire consequences for taxpayer privacy."

Source:
Mnuchin refuses to turn over Trump taxes to House Democrats - CNNPolitics

From April:

"In a 10-page letter to House Ways and Means Chairman Richard Neal (D-Mass.), who formally requested Trump's returns on April 3, Mnuchin questioned Neal's motives and laid out "some of the legal concerns" the administration has with the request. While Neal has argued that the committee needs to see the returns as part of its oversight of the IRS, Mnuchin wrote that is a “pretext” for the Democrats’ aim to make Trump’s returns public, which Mnuchin called “constitutionally suspect.”

Source:
IRS blows deadline to hand over Trump tax returns - POLITICO

Sounds like the party of principle doesn't care what is legal or illegal or even constitutional

1386647548321.gif

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Actually they won't put his name on the ballot. They can't stop him from running. People would have to write his name in.

So even if it is deemed unconstitutional and illegal by the treasury secretary to force the release of his tax returns some states are using it as a pretext to threaten to leave him off the ballot?
Wow....who is o.k. with this?

The democrats are now wanting to see if they can force Trump to accept popular vote over the electoral college in 2020 (only if he loses the popular vote of course!) they are getting desperate and it seems they want a win no matter what, so who again is undermining our country?

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So even if it is deemed unconstitutional and illegal by the treasury secretary to force the release of his tax returns some states are using it as a pretext to threaten to leave him off the ballot?
Anti-Trumpettes are of course OK with any legal policy which works against him.
But they're notorious for not considering the consequences of things they advocate.
They'd give the states the power to make demands upon candidates in order to
appear on the ballot, all without discussion of the limits on these demands.
I smell a constitutional issue about states legislatures' deciding elections.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

The democrats are now wanting to see if they can force Trump to accept popular vote over the electoral college in 2020 (only if he loses the popular vote of course!) they are getting desperate and it seems they want a win no matter what, so who again is undermining our country?

You need to work on your reading skills. No one claimed that. Let me help you. Trump promised to release his tax returns. That was simply another lie of his. As a result some states are making it so that if one does not voluntarily release one's tax returns their name cannot be on the ballot. This may still be unconstitutional itself. There will be lawsuits. I doubt if it would make it through the courts for this upcoming election so it is a rather pointless gesture to make in my opinion. I did not support this, I did not oppose this, I simply stated a fact.

Now as to whether or not it is unconstitutional to release the tax returns to Congress is highly debatable. That is another matter altogether. The constitution does appear to be rather clear that the Congress can demand the tax returns of anyone.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Anti-Trumpettes are of course OK with any legal policy which works against him.
But they're notorious for not considering the consequences of things they advocate.
They'd give the states the power to make demands upon candidates in order to
appear on the ballot, all without discussion of the limits on these demands.
I smell a constitutional issue about states legislatures' deciding elections.
Why did you not comment on how his argument was not valid. I am not in favor of this attempt to force the release of tax returns to be on the ballot. His post was a red herring. An indication that he knew that he was wrong.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
The constitution does appear to be rather clear that the Congress can demand the tax returns of anyone.

There has to be a good reason to request them, apparently it has been determined that they didn't provide one or it was determined there were ulterior motives for requesting them.
The whole cheques and balances thing

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It sounds reasonable to me, but it's too far
above my pay grade to say if it's valid or not.
He mixed too related, but very different arguments. The Congress does appear to have the ability to demand the tax return of anyone. That does not mean that they could publish it, but I do live in the real world and no that there would almost certainly be leaks if this happened. But that appears to be a legal right. Another poster had brought up the keeping of candidates off of the ballot, though he was mistaken in saying that they could not run, I merely corrected that poster and did not say whether or not I supported this. In fact you will find that I said this would be rather pointless in other threads. It is a reaction against Trump that will not be able to be put into effect for the next election. Yes, states could pass such an act but it would be quickly be challenged and put on hold until it went through the courts. Something that will not happen before early November of next year.

As to whether or not Congress can make such a demand it has the right from a law the last time we had a President that was this dishonest and that was known even before the Democrats took over the House:

Congress Really Can Demand, And Get, Trump's Tax Returns. Here's How

And also by the Constitution itself:

"Even if Section 6103 were not on the books, Congress’s inherent legislative powers under Article I of the Constitution would support this request. Courts have ruled that Congress can investigate issues to aid in its consideration of legislation, administration of existing laws, and general oversight authority. To be sure, these powers are limited somewhat: Congress can only investigate matters on which it has power to oversee, legislate, or fulfill some other legislative function. Since all of Congress’s actions need to be within its constitutional authority, this general constitutional limitation on Congress’s investigatory powers likely extends to 6103(f) investigations."

https://www.vox.com/2019/4/9/18296806/trump-tax-returns-congress-legal-experts

So quick recap, I oppose states trying to pass a special law due to Trump's refusal to release his tax returns. It is pointless and will very likely fail constitutional muster. But Congress appears to have the right to demand Trump's tax returns as part of an investigation.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
He mixed too related, but very different arguments. The Congress does appear to have the ability to demand the tax return of anyone. That does not mean that they could publish it, but I do live in the real world and no that there would almost certainly be leaks if this happened. But that appears to be a legal right. Another poster had brought up the keeping of candidates off of the ballot, though he was mistaken in saying that they could not run, I merely corrected that poster and did not say whether or not I supported this. In fact you will find that I said this would be rather pointless in other threads. It is a reaction against Trump that will not be able to be put into effect for the next election. Yes, states could pass such an act but it would be quickly be challenged and put on hold until it went through the courts. Something that will not happen before early November of next year.

As to whether or not Congress can make such a demand it has the right from a law the last time we had a President that was this dishonest and that was known even before the Democrats took over the House:

Congress Really Can Demand, And Get, Trump's Tax Returns. Here's How

And also by the Constitution itself:

"Even if Section 6103 were not on the books, Congress’s inherent legislative powers under Article I of the Constitution would support this request. Courts have ruled that Congress can investigate issues to aid in its consideration of legislation, administration of existing laws, and general oversight authority. To be sure, these powers are limited somewhat: Congress can only investigate matters on which it has power to oversee, legislate, or fulfill some other legislative function. Since all of Congress’s actions need to be within its constitutional authority, this general constitutional limitation on Congress’s investigatory powers likely extends to 6103(f) investigations."

https://www.vox.com/2019/4/9/18296806/trump-tax-returns-congress-legal-experts

So quick recap, I oppose states trying to pass a special law due to Trump's refusal to release his tax returns. It is pointless and will very likely fail constitutional muster. But Congress appears to have the right to demand Trump's tax returns as part of an investigation.
No argument here.

Shad

Veteran Member
"Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin on Monday denied a request from House Democrats for access to six years of President Donald Trump's personal tax returns.
"I am informing you now that the Department may not lawfully fulfill the Committee's request," Mnuchin wrote in his one-page letter, written in consultation with lawyers from the Department of Justice."
"The denial comes after two missed deadlines by the Treasury secretary, who again in his letter said the request by House Ways and Means Chairman Richard Neal under an obscure statute of tax law is "unprecedented," arguing it raises "serious constitutional questions" that could have dire consequences for taxpayer privacy."

Source:
Mnuchin refuses to turn over Trump taxes to House Democrats - CNNPolitics

From April:

"In a 10-page letter to House Ways and Means Chairman Richard Neal (D-Mass.), who formally requested Trump's returns on April 3, Mnuchin questioned Neal's motives and laid out "some of the legal concerns" the administration has with the request. While Neal has argued that the committee needs to see the returns as part of its oversight of the IRS, Mnuchin wrote that is a “pretext” for the Democrats’ aim to make Trump’s returns public, which Mnuchin called “constitutionally suspect.”

Source:
IRS blows deadline to hand over Trump tax returns - POLITICO

Sounds like the party of principle doesn't care what is legal or illegal or even constitutional

This will be a court battle.