• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Travelling Cuba

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I've always wanted to visit Cuba, I know if the US government ever gives up our archaic cold war embargo policy I'll definitely travel there (as would lots of Americans). For a country that professes freedom of speech and religion and free expression of ideas (communism), we sure do act diffently.
You can go to Cuba. You just have to go to the Bahamas first and catch a ride from there.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
You can go to Cuba. You just have to go to the Bahamas first and catch a ride from there.
Although I don't think I saw Americans during my stay. from what I read on line, its possible. the only problem is the hassle you may get from the Cuban authorities, American authorities, and the potential issue of getting into trouble while in Cuba and having to deal with the bureaucracy.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Talking to the cubanos in Miami was very interesting to me. They are great people. When I first came to Miami, I was scared to death of them because of all the stereotypes you hear. After being there a while, I mostly hung out with them.

I love these family oriented folks and how they speak spanglish.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Talking to the cubanos in Miami was very interesting to me. They are great people. When I first came to Miami, I was scared to death of them because of all the stereotypes you hear. After being there a while, I mostly hung out with them.

I love these family oriented folks and how they speak spanglish.

they definitely move to a different rhythm.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Another thing I was suprised about was how many of the had Russian names.
well, that's something I personally didn't run into. but I guess its not entirely surprising considering the stronger relations during the Soviet era and before the collapse of the eastern European communist bloc.

waitasec

Veteran Member
I think so too. I don't think I ever got tired of getting to know more about my grandfather's experiences. there was always more surprising information.

but WWII aside, I would love to hear about your experience with Cuba, and Cubans in general!

from what i remember in cuba they are extremely aware that it all can fall apart any second and because of that mindset nothing is taken for granted

a vivid memory i have was when we were driving in one of those old cars (actually it was to different cars put together) on a road somewhere on the country side...and the radio started to play a favorite song of my cousins...
they stopped the car and danced in front of the head lights... that was sweet.

i also remember a level of paranoia. no one could speak about castro...it was taboo. as a kid i would just repeat what my mom would say about him and one time, i said something and they shushed me. that was weird.

before going to cuba i didn't like black beans and rice...:no:
but my mother told me...'you better eat the food...they've been saving up for months in order to feed us while we're here...' so i tried it and loved them ever since.

my mom's parents had a well, and a nice place...the furniture they had were of the ones my mom won in a contest long before she came to the states...
my father's parents were really really poor...dirt floors and a roof made of palm branches...an outhouse ... such a drastic contrast.

those are some of the things i can think of from the top of my head
:)

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Although I don't think I saw Americans during my stay. from what I read on line, its possible. the only problem is the hassle you may get from the Cuban authorities, American authorities, and the potential issue of getting into trouble while in Cuba and having to deal with the bureaucracy.

It is why I did not go. It is easy to get into trouble and you would get zero help from the States. Basically your on your own. They do have hotels where most of the Americans stay. They are big buck guys and many of them employ young Cuban girls during their stay.

Anyone with a little cash would have no problem getting in, it's leaving that could prove troublesome. You could be shook down if they thought you where rich.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
from what i remember in cuba they are extremely aware that it all can fall apart any second and because of that mindset nothing is taken for granted

a vivid memory i have was when we were driving in one of those old cars (actually it was to different cars put together) on a road somewhere on the country side...and the radio started to play a favorite song of my cousins...
they stopped the car and danced in front of the head lights... that was sweet.
Cubans sing, dance, and play music A LOT. its pretty remarkable, the great thing is that they are good at it!

i also remember a level of paranoia. no one could speak about castro...it was taboo. as a kid i would just repeat what my mom would say about him and one time, i said something and they shushed me. that was weird.
it was hard for me to get a full grip of the level of propaganda in the country. I think most of all because of the nature of the Cubans themselves. unlike the Chinese and the Russians they don't have the efficient and mechanical communist mindset, whatsoever.

before going to cuba i didn't like black beans and rice...:no:
but my mother told me...'you better eat the food...they've been saving up for months in order to feed us while we're here...' so i tried it and loved them ever since.
I like the food they make in their houses. and yes you get to eat lots of black beans and rice. but they make some great home made dishes with it.

my mom's parents had a well, and a nice place...the furniture they had were of the ones my mom won in a contest long before she came to the states...
my father's parents were really really poor...dirt floors and a roof made of palm branches...an outhouse ... such a drastic contrast.
I definitely saw a lot of poverty. about bigger houses. as far as I understand it, they cannot sell their houses, only exchange it for another house. meaning that you will get pretty much a similar house in size and value. the only conclusion I get from this is that many bigger houses simply run in the family.
Cuba is like a time capsule in many regards. in the cars that run on the streets, the colonial architecture, and the way many of the houses in the cities are in the interior, in architectural design and in items.

those are some of the things i can think of from the top of my head
:)
Yeap, I relate to that. even after a short visit.

Last edited: