1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trauma and the Gods

Discussion in 'Heathenry DIR' started by Verdant Nebulosity, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Verdant Nebulosity

Ratings:
    +3
    Religion:
    Searching/Earth Based
    I am curious as to everyone's opinions, but in what ways do the Æsir and Vanir offer support)guidance for those who have experienced trauma? From what I know and have read, (albeit limited) of the Gods, they expect us to stand on our own, without assistance.
    What guidance and support can one look for in the Æsir and Vanir, while still also following the 9 Noble Virtues?

2. The Ragin Pagan

The Ragin Pagan Но Солнце восстанет…

Ratings:
    +2,629
    Religion:
    Heathenry (Norse and Slavic Paganism)
    Myself, I don't follow the NNV. I think you answered the question for my part; it's better to pick oneself up, rather than look for a divine shoulder to support on.

3. DavidMcCann

DavidMcCann Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,419
    Religion:
    Hellenic Polytheist
    It's surely a question of balance. You wouldn't expect your friends and family to do things for you that you could easily do yourself, so you can't expect the gods to be your servants. But what sort of god would ignore a worshiper in a situation where they can't "pick themselves up"?

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Verdant Nebulosity

Ratings:
    +3
    Religion:
    Searching/Earth Based
    NNV?

So one should not ask for support from the Gods at all? Interesting.

5. Verdant Nebulosity

Ratings:
    +3
    Religion:
    Searching/Earth Based
    This makes sense, but then where is that line? Between expecting the gods help / Just asking for spiritual support?

6. DavidMcCann

DavidMcCann Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,419
    Religion:
    Hellenic Polytheist
    Common sense? After all, if the god thinks you you shouldn't have asked, then they don't have to answer.

• Like Like x 1
  7. The Ragin Pagan

The Ragin Pagan Но Солнце восстанет…

Ratings:
    +2,629
    Religion:
    Heathenry (Norse and Slavic Paganism)
    Nine Noble Virtues.

And that's not what I said. I said it's better to pick oneself up, rather than look for a divine hand up. There are obviously situations in which the gods will be of help, or when we must seek their aid. This is, however, the Kingdom of Man; it is our house to manage, not the gods.

8. DanishCrow

DanishCrow Seeking Feeds

Ratings:
    +61
    Religion:
    Norse Animist
    The Nine Noble virtues are far from a universal heathen concept, and was invented by a rather bad heathen in the states in the seventies IIRC.

That said, of course the Gods aid people, also those who suffer mental trauma. Odin is the god of madness among other things, and his draught can cure us as well as drive us mad. Freja is applicable as well, especially in the aspect of Eir, goddess of healing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Hildeburh

Hildeburh Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Religion:
    Frynsidu
    Likely to get more than you bargained for if you ask certain Æsir for help, thinking of Odin in particular, the gods have more pressing issues than aiding individuals in their day to day lives. Personally I'd rather sort my own issues out and/or talk to my ancesters and kin for support and guidence.

Thought the NNV had died a natural death.

• Like Like x 1