• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Translation or text of Pugio Fidei?

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Is anyone aware of an English (or Hebrew...) translation of Raymond Martini's Pugio Fidei (Dagger of Faith)?
Or perhaps an online text version in any language that could be translated via Google?
Thanks.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
What's the point of learning Latin, they said.

It's a dead language, they said.

And all the Mediaeval graves shook with laughter.

It seems very niche :worried: I'll keep looking.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member

It is a dead language! The Romans and the Church should have realized that...

It seems very niche :worried: I'll keep looking.
Thanks! It's considered an important anti-Jewish polemic because Martini quoted many Jewish sources, some of which are no longer extant. While Latin editions are available online, there's only so much Latin I can copy into Google translate...
I was surprised that I wasn't able to find a modern edition and/or English translation, but maybe it is as niche as you say. But I made the thread in hopes of someone being aware of a relevant edition.

pearl

It is a dead language! The Romans and the Church should have realized that...

Its probably the reason the Church retains the Latin, it will never change, develop as others do.
The same reason it is necessary for medicine and law. Also the reason Benedict XVI insisted on the exact translation the of Latin to other liturgical languages.

Fillum

Its probably the reason the Church retains the Latin, it will never change, develop as others do.
The same reason it is necessary for medicine and law. Also the reason Benedict XVI insisted on the exact translation the of Latin to other liturgical languages.
I was looking for a translation as well but I could not find.

Speaking of Latin and the Catholic Church sometimes I wonder if the Second Vatican Council was a mistake (not just for giving up Latin. Without reading all the acts, a good film to have a flavor of what I mean is “Novitiate”).

I just found an OCR copy of original Pugio Fidei. Printing is not very clear but being Medieval Latin should not be as difficult as reading Cicero

I will check if it is a valuable book or not (some Dominicans were very good scholars) and after I will decide if it is worthy to translate.

The fact that nobody did before …. gives me little hope.
I’ll let you know