• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Training for Walking on Mars

FluentYank3825

Ironic Idealist
The Moon should be our first priority..to establish industrial facilities..so that we may construct (pre fab) space craft on the Moon and avoid all those inconvenient energy costs and design limitations associated with launching from a large gravity well like the Earth.
Making trips to Mars routine...instead of memorative.

Mars should be our secondary collective goal...a new world for humanity to learn from and a stepping stone to the Jovian system, our longterm strategic goal, Jupiter, the moons of Jupiter to be precise...from there we can do much...many trillions of dollars of gas and valuable minerals nearby for the taking.
Mining the countless trojan asteroids (extending to cover an area that spans the gulf between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter) is in theory easier and cheaper than deep mining our own planet...few energy costs...safer...far higher grade ore.
I imagine it will be down to the private sector to deliver the goods though, in some haphazard way.
Unless of course...we work together.

I so hope this new private space program endorsed by NASA really works. I find it rather embarrassing that we have to rely on Russia to get our astronauts to the ISS for the nest four years or so.

As for the Moon plan, I am all for it too. Closer, less expensive, and still possesses valuable mineral and water resources.

Heaven is waiting ;)

Assuming it's among the stars, then yes.

Thousands of years to create a hospitable ( I asume you mean breathable) atmosphere eh?

Sounds like you know what you are talking about :D

Do you know why Mars has such a tenuous atmosphere Caladan?

It is the most important thing to know regarding the terraformation and colonisation of Mars....for two very important reasons.

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't it have to do with Mars' highly eccentric orbit and presence of dry ice on its poles?

Primordial Annihilator

I so hope this new private space program endorsed by NASA really works. I find it rather embarrassing that we have to rely on Russia to get our astronauts to the ISS for the nest four years or so.

I don't mind which way we go really, I have nothing in particular against Mother Russia :D...I would prefer a multinational approach and private business sharing the task.

As for the Moon plan, I am all for it too. Closer, less expensive, and still possesses valuable mineral and water resources.

Cool...and of course the potential for solar energy generation...the Moon makes for an ideal solar collector.

Assuming it's among the stars, then yes.

Where else?

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't it have to do with Mars' highly eccentric orbit and presence of dry ice on its poles?

Well the reason for Mars's tenuous atmosphere is because it has been stripped away by the relentless solar wind (particles of charged matter ejected by the sun) for millions of years, on Earth our magnetosphere protects our atmosphere by deflecting away these charged particles.
Mars lacks a magnetosphere because it's core has solidified (cooled) and unlike our dynamic molten outer/solid inner iron core cannot generate a magnetic field.
This means that A If we want to restore Mars's atmosphere then we will need to perpeptually counter this loss as well. B There is no magnetosphere to deflect incoming charged particles, meaning biological life upon Mars will be constantly irradiated much like it would be on the Moon...constraining the duration of human exploration upon the surface and limiting biological experiments...like growing plant life on Mars.
Thirdly (I forgot to mention) because Mars is geologically dead, no tectonic activity and thus no highly vital carbon cycle the ecosystem of Mars would become rapidly carbon toxic....there is no tectonic subduction and thus no cyclic conveyance of Carbon within the mantle and atmosphere.

However there are solutions to all these problems.

Last edited: