• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Traffic police regulate Iran's dress code

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I will continue to struggle with why a dress code needs to be enforced if 99% of the people wanted it. Good points, Mr. Spinkles and Kai.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Hey ssainhu, I have no problem with your opinion. And personally I favor leaving this to the woman's will (forcing women give counter results :D) but I believe it can be argued very well for a law that regulates the public dress according to the Islamic criteria.

:D I see your point as well, Sahar.
The law regulating dress code is, as you can see, extremely controversial even among Muslims...hence the uprisings that always ensue.

Sahar

At that time people voted for an Islamic Republic regime. Maybe they still want an Islamic Republic, or maybe they have changed their mind now and they want to vote for a non-religious government. Isn't it possible that they could have changed their mind?
Are they allowed to vote for a non-religious government? If yes, then that is democracy, if not, can we still say, it is democracy?
Theoretically speaking, you are right and you are asking fair questions. But practically, I think it's not that simple for the identity of a given society with its constitution and ruling system (that were agreed upon by the people) to be altered and for voting for a different new identity. Not in France nor in Iran. Any political system goes to ensure its stability and presence. France went to ban the head scarves in schools or the niqab to protect its identity and prevent any possible threats coming from a potential different - opposing - ideological and political movement.
Is the question of voting for a religious government in France raised? It's not a relevant question to that nation.

I know that there are some Iranians who lost some of their enthusiasm for the current system.

Sahar

Iran's constitution may have been passed by popular vote, but Iran is not a democracy.
I expected someone to say this. I didn't say that the Iranian system fully represents democracy. And the theocratic element in it easily allow for tyranny and oppression.

However, it can't be denied that the Iranians drew a certain line to follow for their country and it's not simple to go back to the start point repeating the same question about the identity and character of your nation especially if there is a fair degree of stability like I said in the previous post.

Anyway, the Welayit al-Faqih system is an extreme form of the mix between religion and politics.

Sahar

Regardless, I think we have to acknowledge that the status of women in Iran is way better than their status in many other Muslim countries where the governments don't enforce an Islamic dress code. The situation is not that dark like what some Western media try to portray.

Last edited:

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Regardless, I think we have to acknowledge that the status of women in Iran is way better than their status in many other Muslim countries where the governments don't enforce an Islamic dress code. The situation is not that dark like what some Western media try to portray.

Totally agreed. :)

InvestigateTruth

I expected someone to say this. I didn't say that the Iranian system fully represents democracy. And the theocratic element in it easily allow for tyranny and oppression.

However, it can't be denied that the Iranians drew a certain line to follow for their country and it's not simple to go back to the start point repeating the same question about the identity and character of your nation especially if there is a fair degree of stability like I said in the previous post.

Anyway, the Welayit al-Faqih system is an extreme form of the mix between religion and politics.

The problem with a religious government is that, many people who in their heart are not really even believer of God, can pretend to be religious only for the sake of entering the government and for the sake of power. In every country regardless of west or east, or which nationality, there are criminals, like murderers and thieves. Now, in a country which is religious and gives more power and rights to the religious people, what would a smart thief or murderer do? Well, the easiest way, would be to pretend to be religious by attending religious gatherings and showing off and pretending to be a strong believer, and in this way gradually find his way into the system. Then that system gradually becomes full of those people. The result is, a bunch of murderers and thieves become the Ruler of the good people. and they kill anybody who says or believes in slightly different or opposite to them, they kill him in the name of God, and by making excuses that these are infidels and against the divine government. Historically that has always happened in the west or east.