• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Traffic police regulate Iran's dress code

kai

ragamuffin
Traditionally this had been the job of the moral police, but now a traffic police officer can give Iranians two fines in one, a speeding fine and an un-Islamic dress code fine.

Isn't Iran a weird place? Whats the heck is it all about? is it a power trip by the rulers? I dont thinks its an Islam thing?

BBC News - Traffic police regulate Iran's dress code

Poisonshady313

In the US (the law varies from state to state), if a person were pulled over for some variety of traffic infraction, and he or she happened to be driving in the nude, he or she could be cited for indecent exposure. (Or, depending on the appearance of the person/preferences of the cop, he or she could be let off the hook altogether... but stay with me here...)

Seems like the same thing, except with more (but apparently not enough) clothes.

Vendetta

"Oscar the grouch"
In the US (the law varies from state to state), if a person were pulled over for some variety of traffic infraction, and he or she happened to be driving in the nude, he or she could be cited for indecent exposure. (Or, depending on the appearance of the person/preferences of the cop, he or she could be let off the hook altogether... but stay with me here...)

Seems like the same thing, except with more (but apparently not enough) clothes.

Driving in the nude is offensive to anyone. What purpose does it serve and besides, if you were to get into an accident that would be one helluva bodily scrape.

Poisonshady313

Driving in the nude is offensive to anyone. What purpose does it serve and besides, if you were to get into an accident that would be one helluva bodily scrape.

There are nudists.... and they might need to get around. I imagine driving in the nude is less offensive than taking the subway in the nude.

But the point is, we may think their laws regarding dress code suck, but the cop issuing a ticket for dress code violation in addition to traffic violation is no different, from what I can tell, than a US cop ticketing a speeder for speeding and driving whilst nude.

Vendetta

"Oscar the grouch"
There are nudists.... and they might need to get around. I imagine driving in the nude is less offensive than taking the subway in the nude.

But the point is, we may think their laws regarding dress code suck, but the cop issuing a ticket for dress code violation in addition to traffic violation is no different, from what I can tell, than a US cop ticketing a speeder for speeding and driving whilst nude.

I think we tend to think that so-called Islamic dress code is stereotypically sexist in nature than American laws.

Poisonshady313

I think we tend to think that so-called Islamic dress code is stereotypically sexist in nature than American laws.

That may be... but for the purpose of the OP, it's neither here nor there. An Iranian policeman issuing a fine for a dress code violation is no more out of bounds regarding his duties as a police officer than an American cop issuing a fine for indecent exposure.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
That may be... but for the purpose of the OP, it's neither here nor there. An Iranian policeman issuing a fine for a dress code violation is no more out of bounds regarding his duties as a police officer than an American cop issuing a fine for indecent exposure.

You don't think that comparison is stretching a little?

Bismillah

Submit
PoisonShady313 said:

Which depends and aligns itself on the enforced morals of each respective society. Both are enforcing their own ideals of morality, one happens to be more stringent.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Which depends and aligns itself on the enforced morals of each respective society. Both are enforcing their own ideals of morality, one happens to be more stringent.

Agreed, but I'm curious if men are also addressed if they wear their shorts too short or don't have the beard, etc.

Quite frankly, I'm glad I live in a society where my dress code is between God and me, not the moral police. How is enforcing a strict dress code (again, primarily on women) benefitting their belief to do so on their own? It is likely to backfire.

Bismillah

Submit
but I'm curious if men are also addressed if they wear their shorts too short or don't have the beard, etc.
There were articles a while back of regulation of men's haircuts

Iran government issues style guide for men's hair - Telegraph
Quite frankly, I'm glad I live in a society where my dress code is between God and me, not the moral police. How is enforcing a strict dress code (again, primarily on women) benefitting their belief to do so on their own? It is likely to backfire.
The "morality" as prescribed by the authorities is in general not likely to encompass the consensus of the governed and where we see totalitarian regimes it is all the more likely. A man may be ostracized and assaulted for not sporting a beard in Iran while another may be abducted and disappeared in Turkmenistan. A women in Saudi may be prohibited from exiting her house without an Abaya while another may be jailed and beaten in Tunisia for wearing an Hijab.

The "morality" almost always fluctuates as an empty reason for the state to flex its power. It is a problem particularly difficult for the modern Muslim country because never before has there been a means to control such broad swathes of land until the modern time. I forget the particular Muslim scholar and polymath who traveling came across converted Asians (along the silk route) whose women all had long flowing hair to their waists.

Regardless, it is a nonissue at the moment in comparison to the much larger and significant problems facing the Muslim world and any organization that "regulates the length of miniskirts" instead of much more pressing concerns is not worthy for rule.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
There were articles a while back of regulation of men's haircuts

Iran government issues style guide for men's hair - Telegraph The "morality" as prescribed by the authorities is in general not likely to encompass the consensus of the governed and where we see totalitarian regimes it is all the more likely. A man may be ostracized and assaulted for not sporting a beard in Iran while another may be abducted and disappeared in Turkmenistan. A women in Saudi may be prohibited from exiting her house without an Abaya while another may be jailed and beaten in Tunisia for wearing an Hijab.

The "morality" almost always fluctuates as an empty reason for the state to flex its power. It is a problem particularly difficult for the modern Muslim country because never before has there been a means to control such broad swathes of land until the modern time. I forget the particular Muslim scholar and polymath who traveling came across converted Asians (along the silk route) whose women all had long flowing hair to their waists.

Regardless, it is a nonissue at the moment in comparison to the much larger and significant problems facing the Muslim world and any organization that "regulates the length of miniskirts" instead of much more pressing concerns is not worthy for rule.

Totally agree, especially with the bolded. Let's focus on more important matters.

What I find so interesting is that these cultures, who continually quote Islamic text criticizing the West for its obsession with appearance, would feel the need to regulate strict dress codes anywhere. It seems they are quite obsessed with appearances as well...and no one is going to convince me that they apply the law to men and women equally. The standards for women are always higher, and the punishments always tougher.

Another point, now that Modern Muslims have the chance to govern their own lands, why on earth would this be one of the first and main areas to focus on? Why is it always so important to worry if women are "covered" enough? Men are NOT that weak.

Sahar

Traditionally this had been the job of the moral police, but now a traffic police officer can give Iranians two fines in one, a speeding fine and an un-Islamic dress code fine.

Isn't Iran a weird place? Whats the heck is it all about? is it a power trip by the rulers? I dont thinks its an Islam thing?

BBC News - Traffic police regulate Iran's dress code
Yes, Iran is a weird place!!

In France:
215830_193879573987444_175367525838649_450831_4985538_n.jpg

Police arrest veiled women at 'burqa ban' protest - FRANCE - FRANCE 24
Girls Expelled Over French Head-Scarf Law - U.S. & World

Isn't France a weird place? What the heck is all about?
Islam thing? Huh?