• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Traditional Taoist Practice.

Jeremy Taylor

I'm very interested in Taoism. I read much about the classics and basic ideas of Taoism, but am finding it harder to learn about the practices and, especially, the whole Taoist spiritual life.

Much of the online material I have come across seems to be Western and from a New Age is not largely specious perspective. That is, it doesn't seem to have that much in common with traditional Chinese Taoism and provides little in the way of a proper spiritual path.

Does anyone have any information on Taoism as a practical spiritual path. What I'm looking for most is a holistic, preferably traditional, practical spiritual program for Western (preferably sole) practitioner.

GoodbyeDave

Entering Taoism and Daoism in duckduckgo came up with a few things, like
Historical Definition of Daoism
What is Taoism - A Definition

The Western tendency to over-intellectualise has led to a tendency to distinguish the philosophy of daojiao and the religious practice of shenjiao: Wikipedia labels the latter "Chinese folk religion" — strictly for the peasants!

One practitioner of shenjiao who is no peasant is Jordan Paper — formerly a professor of both Sinology and the Phenomenology of Religion. His book The spirits are drunk is very well worth reading.

Kirran

Premium Member
If you really want to get into it, I'd recommend learning Mandarin, which really isn't the challenge some people make it out to be, IMO.

Outlandish

The basics of taoism is completely normal, it says to live with nature. And to do everything according to your personal nature, and this is the TASK, which you have to go thru.

Last edited:

Baladas

An Págánach
I'm very interested in Taoism. I read much about the classics and basic ideas of Taoism, but am finding it harder to learn about the practices and, especially, the whole Taoist spiritual life.

Much of the online material I have come across seems to be Western and from a New Age is not largely specious perspective. That is, it doesn't seem to have that much in common with traditional Chinese Taoism and provides little in the way of a proper spiritual path.

Does anyone have any information on Taoism as a practical spiritual path. What I'm looking for most is a holistic, preferably traditional, practical spiritual program for Western (preferably sole) practitioner.

I highly recommend this book: http://www.amazon.com/The-Lunar-Tao-Meditations-Harmony/dp/0062116886