• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Toys

King Phenomenon

So the Hasbro vintage Mandalorian Naboo starfighter is around $115. A ship like that back in the 80s would be maybe 40 bucks. Why is it so much more when the technology used to make it is easier? Same with figures. They use to be $2 now they’re 15. Since when is less work equal more pay? you know how to make toy collecting fun for kids. Kids can’t buy anything anymore. Maybe it’s a stupid collectors that are ruining it for everybody. worried about what something is going to worth 40 years from now. give me a break.
Oh I know why they’re more expensive, because they look a lot better. Give me a break

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
So the Hasbro vintage Mandalorian Naboo starfighter is around $115. A ship like that back in the 80s would be maybe 40 bucks. Why is it so much more when the technology used to make it is easier? Same with figures. They use to be $2 now they’re 15. Since when is less work equal more pay? you know how to make toy collecting fun for kids. Kids can’t buy anything anymore. Maybe it’s a stupid collectors that are ruining it for everybody. worried about what something is going to worth 40 years from now. give me a break.
Oh I know why they’re more expensive, because they look a lot better. Give me a break
That is not that much of a difference for the two ships. In fact the ship might be a little cheaper. Money is not a constant. Inflation is a real phenomenon. $40.00 in 1983 would buy as much as a little over $120 would buy today:

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member

Inflation and the toys often have better detail now, I guess.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
I think it is speculators surfing on what is popular that drive up prices. Same thing has happened in comic books. The people driving up prices aren't even interested in the toys or comics. Just in scooping up as many as they can to drive up prices so they can sell them for huge payoffs.

I sold a so so copy of Deadpool first appearance for nearly $100. A pristine copy was sold for $5000. It originally sold for a $1.

Some other factors are the quality of materials and crafting in some toys and comics has increased, but that doesn't explain today's prices so much in my opinion.

King Phenomenon

That is not that much of a difference for the two ships. In fact the ship might be a little cheaper. Money is not a constant. Inflation is a real phenomenon. $40.00 in 1983 would buy as much as a little over $120 would buy today:

They’re overpriced, face reality

We Never Know

No Slack
How much has the cost to make them risen, wages, supplies, etc?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
They’re overpriced, face reality
Then they were overpriced in 1980. Once again, money is not a constant. You are not comparing the same amount of money. A toy that sold in 1983 for $40.00 should sell today for $120. That is reality.

Try buying a home today for what one cost in 1983. You might cause the seller to die from laughter. Your example showed that toys re cheaper today.

King Phenomenon

Then they were overpriced in 1980. Once again, money is not a constant. You are not comparing the same amount of money. A toy that sold in 1983 for $40.00 should sell today for $120. That is reality.

Try buying a home today for what one cost in 1983. You might cause the seller to die from laughter. Your example showed that toys re cheaper today.
They’re overpriced

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Agreed! I think so too.

But such overpricing in those markets has become the norm since the 70's.
They were very profitable. That is for sure. The OP appears to be comparing the prices of items bought brand new in the 1980's and today. His example showed that the price is roughly the same.

Money is a variable, not a constant.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
They were very profitable. That is for sure. The OP appears to be comparing the prices of items bought brand new in the 1980's and today. His example showed that the price is roughly the same.

Money is a variable, not a constant.
I'm thinking in broader terms. They were overpriced then too. But the OP is also comparing the cost of manufacture between then and now. Of course materials and manufacture costs have undoubtedly gone up too. But I don't think it was ever so high to justify the costs on the shelf. That was market driven. I go into stores that cater to such merchandise and enjoy looking around, but I can't afford anything anymore. $30,00 to $50.00 for a Monopoly game simply because they use Marvel characters instead of the original pieces is pretty substantial difference.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Right $40 back then was overpriced
But in your OP you did not seem to think that it was.

I do not know if that figure is overpriced myself. One thing that people do not understand is that the retailer has to have close to a 50% markup to stay in business. In other words he buys a toy for 20 and sells it for 40. Have of the price is cost the rest is needed markup that covers shipping, rent, employees pay, utilities, taxes, taxes, taxes. After all of that he will have a few percentage points of profit left. Just in case you do not understand, markup is not profit. Markup is how much one raises the price over what one paid for an object. All sorts of costs then have to be covered before they begin to make any money at all.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Anyone complaining about the price of toys
is financially in no position to complain.
What really grinds my gears...a cromulent
complaint....is the price of caviar.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I'm thinking in broader terms. They were overpriced then too. But the OP is also comparing the cost of manufacture between then and now. Of course materials and manufacture costs have undoubtedly gone up too. But I don't think it was ever so high to justify the costs on the shelf. That was market driven. I go into stores that cater to such merchandise and enjoy looking around, but I can't afford anything anymore. $30,00 to $50.00 for a Monopoly game simply because they use Marvel characters instead of the original pieces is pretty substantial difference.
I know. But the owners of Marvel put a value on their name. They are going to stick it to others to put their name on a product. One thing that they usually choose quality brands to bear their name since a shoddy product would reflect badly on them. In fact the Monopoly games might be of slightly higher quality when they have an additional brand on them.

I know, it is easy to complain. My attitude is that if it costs too much then don't buy it. Trust me, other people will. And even though I loved Star Wars and other such movies I never bought the branded products.

Maybe the OP is disgruntled because he has a child that he has to get a present for. That is perfectly understandable. He is unlikely to see the same value that his child sees.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Anyone complaining about the price of toys
is financially in no position to complain.
What really grinds my gears...a cromulent
complaint....is the price of caviar.
Or complaining that their financial position no longer allows them the indulgences of toys and caviar that they once could.