• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tough questions for christians

Jacksnyte

Reverend
I was often approached by people trying to "witness" to me on the street when I rode a certain bus. It got very annoying, and, after a while, I started printing up this piece that I found online to give to them. I would refuse to accept their tracts unless they would take mine, at least attempt to research and answer the questions, and get in touch with me by email for further discussion. The funny thing is that I never got even one response! So here is a link to the questionnaire:

Tough Questions for the Christian Church

(I would have posted the questions here in a quote, but it would have been way too long!)
I would very much like to hear responses from Christians on these questions!

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
I was often approached by people trying to "witness" to me on the street when I rode a certain bus. It got very annoying, and, after a while, I started printing up this piece that I found online to give to them. I would refuse to accept their tracts unless they would take mine, at least attempt to research and answer the questions, and get in touch with me by email for further discussion. The funny thing is that I never got even one response! So here is a link to the questionnaire:

(I would have posted the questions here in a quote, but it would have been way too long!)

Of course you didn't get a response, I'm sure they threw yours away just as fast as you threw theirs away :p

Jacksnyte

Reverend
Of course you didn't get a response, I'm sure they threw yours away just as fast as you threw theirs away :p

Actually, a short while after I began to do this, I was again approached by someone attempting to "witness" to me, and, as usual, I offered my paper for his. I was told that they were no longer allowed to accept any materials from anyone anymore. I guess somebody must have read it, and realized it could be hazardous to blind faith! :D

(Oh, I kept theirs, by the way. I enjoy collecting them: especially the Chick Tracts! ;) )

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Actually, a short while after I began to do this, I was again approached by someone attempting to "witness" to me, and, as usual, I offered my paper for his. I was told that they were no longer allowed to accept any materials from anyone anymore. I guess somebody must have read it, and realized it could be hazardous to blind faith! :D

(Oh, I kept theirs, by the way. I enjoy collecting them: especially the Chick Tracts! ;) )

Hahaha! That's awesome.

ANd yesssss, I love chick tracts! I worked as a hostess at a steakhouse a loooong time ago in Missouri and all the servers knew to give them to me because those Missourians love leaving them with their tips.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
I can see why evangelical Christians wouldn't answer this. And I doubt if they did answer them, you would take them very serious anyway.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
The answer to all these questions is actually quite simple, and nearly the same for all them: the bible was written by people who had no interest in plot continuity.

Jacksnyte

Reverend
I can see why evangelical Christians wouldn't answer this. And I doubt if they did answer them, you would take them very serious anyway.

My primary motivation for this was the glaring lack of knowledge (on the part of the majority of the christians who were doing this) of their own religion. I think it is silly to send people out to proselytize when they often have an extremely limited understanding of Christianity, it's origins and history, and what their Bible actually says when read in context, not only with itself, but with the times that it was written. I found that I more often than not, knew more about their religion than they did.

Hahaha! That's awesome.

ANd yesssss, I love chick tracts! I worked as a hostess at a steakhouse a loooong time ago in Missouri and all the servers knew to give them to me because those Missourians love leaving them with their tips.

waiting tables i've always been tract magnet, once the rest of the staff found out how much i hate them, i've got an outrageous collection. the only problem is that i live in a town with a pretty progressive mega-church that does more of the hippie-christian thing, so a chick tract is a very rare gem.

we get tons of million dollar bills though.

Jacksnyte

Reverend
waiting tables i've always been tract magnet, once the rest of the staff found out how much i hate them, i've got an outrageous collection. the only problem is that i live in a town with a pretty progressive mega-church that does more of the hippie-christian thing, so a chick tract is a very rare gem.

we get tons of million dollar bills though.

:DI LOVE those million-dollar bills! Such underhanded technique!:clap I used to have 8 or 10 of them hanging from my cubicle at work! :devil:

Blackheart

My advice to you if you really wanted answers to all of this would be to go to a church at an appointed time and actually discuss it with someone. There is way too much in there for someone to discuss via email, especially when your likely to challenge the answers. But then im sure you already know this.

strikeviperMKII

If these questions were answered perfectly, logically and to your liking, what would happen then?

I really don't see the point in picking out every single inconsistency in the Bible and the church when very clearly neither are perfect, and neither are meant to be perfect. It's part of the process to realize this and to be okay with it.

Jacksnyte

Reverend
My advice to you if you really wanted answers to all of this would be to go to a church at an appointed time and actually discuss it with someone. There is way too much in there for someone to discuss via email, especially when your likely to challenge the answers. But then im sure you already know this.

I was raised a strict Southern Baptist, and asked many of these questions at church back then. I was usually given answers that only brought up more questions, or were along the lines of "the Bible says it's the word of the Lard-uh, therefore, it IS the word of the Lard-uh!" I have since discussed many of these questions with Christians of several denominations, and not gotten much better responses. I present this questionnaire here in the hopes that some of the more eloquent Christians here might be able to shed more light on the subject for me, and others here. I must say, I have been impressed with several of the Christians who post on here, and am very interested in hearing their responses.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
If Christians can give out fliers, then other faiths can do it as well. But I doubt yours would go over any differently than Christian tracts. I could answer those questions, but I am neither a evangelical nor a "fire and brimstone" type of Christian and nor am I a bible scholar, so no one would accept my answers, I would guess (or maybe they would, I don't know).
;)

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Chick is one of my favorites to read along with the occasional issue of Awake and Watchtower placed on my doorstep from JW's in my neighborhood doing their rounds.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
My primary motivation for this was the glaring lack of knowledge (on the part of the majority of the christians who were doing this) of their own religion. I think it is silly to send people out to proselytize when they often have an extremely limited understanding of Christianity, it's origins and history, and what their Bible actually says when read in context, not only with itself, but with the times that it was written. I found that I more often than not, knew more about their religion than they did.
I agree with that. But you're lucky they never did answer the questions, because I'm sure it would cause quite the headache.

Jacksnyte

Reverend
I agree with that. But you're lucky they never did answer the questions, because I'm sure it would cause quite the headache.

Not for me!:cool: I consider myself a student of human behavior, and am very interested in peoples answers because it gives quite a bit of insight on what makes people tick, their motivations, and how they think(or avoid thinking):D