• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Totem carving??

Master Vigil

I was wondering if anyone knew (painted wolf????) if there is a certain way to carve totem poles. Like, which animal should be where, which color should each be stained, and where should the pole be put?? Stuff like that. Thanks.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
well.... I'm not a north west coast native, so totem poles are not a part of my experience. But from what I do know about them, they represent the members of the clan for wich they are made, and the clans protectors. Some totem poles were put at the corners and as the entry into the clans houses. Some were left in special places outside the village and so on depending on tribe.
Many still stand quietly decaying in the forests where they were left, some more than a century ago... ahh. the joy of ceader

Color and style are of the north west coast traditions and you would have to seek the advice of an actual artisan to learn that.

hope this helps... as a general over view, I didn't want to write a disertation on the subject. :lol:

wa:do

Master Vigil

Ok, so what if I were just carving two animals. One for me and one for my girlfriend. My spirit guides are wolves of course, and hers are panthers. Which one should go on top? Mine?

There is a native american store near my apartment, but they only sell southwestern stuff. I wonder if they would know. I'll go and see.

Pah

Uber all member
Must one spirit be on top? Is it not possible to have both side by side? Could you have the "front" reproduced on the back so that there is no special honor from being on the left or right?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
well... tecnically I think that men and women had seperate totem poles. If women were included at all. Perhaps instead of trying to copy a traditional native american piece of spirituality you should make something of meaning to yoursef and your belief.
Totem poles are cool and all, but sadly they have become one of the most grotesquely caracaturized and kitched peices of native culture.

wa:do

Master Vigil

Well, in its simplicity I find it a very special piece of work. I would love to carve my own. I just wondered if there was a special way thats all.

I just carved my girlfriend a wand with a cat head on the end of the handle. it turned out pretty good. I hope she likes it.