• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top 5 Misconceptions about Religion

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Yep. There were a few wars which were mainly religious but far more often religion was used as an excuse and a method to rally the troops.
And I think that doesn't let religion off the hook. If it can be (miss-)used in such a way, it doesn't really hold up to it's own ideals - or can justifiably be called militant.
Anything can be misused. I can use a pencil to stab you. It is not a reflection on pencils. It is a reflection on the state of the human soul.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
You probably would agree that to be a successful scientist, one must leave his faith-based beliefs and way of thinking at the laboratory or observatory door before coming to work on Monday morning
I've not really delved into the subject so I can't really comment because I don't have an inkling of a clue as to what is going through their head.
But I know MRIs work. I've had several of them. Magnets are common place in our modern world. And Newton discovered some the Laws of Nature despite his beliefs in supernatural and superstitious things.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Anything can be misused. I can use a pencil to stab you. It is not a reflection on pencils. It is a reflection on the state of the human soul.
Yes, yes it is. Religion is a reflection on the state of the human mind. The ease with which religion lends itself to misuse is also a reflection on the state of the human mind.

IndigoChild5559

Yes, yes it is. Religion is a reflection on the state of the human mind. The ease with which religion lends itself to misuse is also a reflection on the state of the human mind.
I dont' see religion abused a lot. What I see are just a bunch of very normal people who go to mosque or synagogue or church or whatever, and try to live their lives as best they can. We know that being involved in a religious community makes us happier, healthier, longer lived, and gives us a buffer for anxiety and depression. So basically, religion is a pretty good thing.

HeatherAnn

If you had to write a list of the top 5 misconceptions about religion, what might go on your list? Or, if you prefer, just contribute some ideas - things you hear people say about religion that you consider to be misconceptions (and why).

Here's one misconception to kick things off:

• Religion is dogmatic; that is, all religions have a body of doctrines that are proclaimed by a central religious authority that must be accepted by its adherents without question to qualify for membership (see Dogma - Wikipedia).
    • Examples of non-dogmatic religions: honestly, most of them, when one looks outside of (non-progressive) Christianity, Islam, and Judaism. :sweat:
    • Why it makes my list: I'm a practitioner of a non-dogmatic religion (Druidry) and have affiliated with other non-dogmatic traditions (Unitarian Universalism, contemporary Paganism) for a long time. There are also philosophical complications related to the idea of dogmatism that I find problematic in its application as a construct for understanding human cultures (notably, the fact that nobody is 100% pure in adherence).
I suppose it depends on which religion you consider. The 1 I grew up in specifically stated that if one were to get out of line with a list of doctrines, that member would not be considered worthy, & in some cases, would be excommunicated after going through church court.

I do consider religion by nature at least somewhat dogmatic - requiring acceptance of certain doctrines, without resistance or question. Eg., Even a most liberal, nondenominational Christian church would probably look down on , if not kick out, someone publicly questioning dogmas like human sacrifice scapegoating as being moral.

danieldemol

Premium Member
Misconception: Religion is the cause of most wars.
Reality: if you look down through history, most wars were fought over resources, especially land.
Why would we be fighting over land without religious and other drivers of overpopulation though?

In my opinion.

danieldemol

Premium Member
You're right, and apologies to all for the thread drift.

Back on topic regarding misconceptions... I don't know if this has already been said, but not all theists (of which I am one) are necessarily hostile to atheists. It's also been my experience that not all atheists are necessarily hostile to theists.
I've found most atheists appear not to be hostile to those who have personal private beliefs, it seems to be those who want to enforce their religious views in a way that harms others that seems to draw hostility from atheists.

In my opinion

IndigoChild5559

Why would we be fighting over land without religious and other drivers of overpopulation though?

In my opinion.
People fight over land because it means more crops and more hunting grounds. It's a basic resource grab. Why do you think Russia has invaded Ukraine? It wants the territory.

danieldemol

Premium Member
People fight over land because it means more crops and more hunting grounds. It's a basic resource grab. Why do you think Russia has invaded Ukraine? It wants the territory.
You haven't answered your own question.
Why does it want the Territory if not for the benefit of its own people? And if it had less people would it have the same drive to take more territory?

If it had less people it would presumably be less willing to expend those people on the front line of a war.

In my opinion

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

To clarify, you consider science and technology to be religious drivers, then? Because technology use is overwhelmingly the cause of human overpopulation.

IndigoChild5559

You haven't answered your own question.
Why does it want the Territory if not for the benefit of its own people? And if it had less people would it have the same drive to take more territory?

If it had less people it would presumably be less willing to expend those people on the front line of a war.

In my opinion
It DOES want the land for the benefit of its own people. Ukraine is the biggest bread box in the world. Putin is trying to build back the soviet empire.

danieldemol

Premium Member
It DOES want the land for the benefit of its own people. Ukraine is the biggest bread box in the world. Putin is trying to build back the soviet empire.
That seems to be the way certain religious people think.
Instead of asking how can we compassionately reduce the size of the population so there is enough resources for everyone they appear to think how can we conquest more resources to enlarge our own support base at the expense of others.

In my opinion.

IndigoChild5559

Instead of asking how can we compassionately reduce the size of the population so there is enough resources for everyone they appear to think how can we conquest more resources to enlarge our own support base at the expense of others.

In my opinion.
Putin is not a religious man.

danieldemol

Premium Member
Putin is not a religious man.
'Putin is Russian Orthodox. His mother was a devoted Christian believer who attended the Russian Orthodox Church, while his father was an atheist.[756] Though his mother kept no icons at home, she attended church regularly, despite government persecution of her religion at that time. His mother secretly baptized him as a baby, and she regularly took him to services.[31]

According to Putin, his religious awakening began after a serious car crash involving his wife in 1993, and a life-threatening fire that burned down their dacha in August 1996.[756] Shortly before an official visit to Israel, Putin's mother gave him his baptismal cross, telling him to get it blessed. Putin states, "I did as she said and then put the cross around my neck. I have never taken it off since."[31]'

Source: Vladimir Putin - Wikipedia

In my opinion.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara

I'm not sure one needs religion in the mix to drive this. Free market capitalism, greed and human stupidity seem sufficient to be simultaneously depleting the planet's resources, causing the sixth great extinction and generally treating the planet like a toilet.

danieldemol

Premium Member
I'm not sure one needs religion in the mix to drive this. Free market capitalism, greed and human stupidity seem sufficient to be simultaneously depleting the planet's resources, causing the sixth great extinction and generally treating the planet like a toilet.
Some religions are capitalist in nature. And some religions contribute to human stupidity with their inflexible approach to reproduction.

Certain religions are not the only contributors, however they should be acknowledged alongside other causes.

In my opinion.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Some religions are capitalist in nature. And some religions contribute to human stupidity with their inflexible approach to reproduction.

Certain religions are not the only contributors, however they should be acknowledged alongside other causes.

In my opinion.
I accept this, although I still think a world full of atheists would still be ****ing the planet up. Rather academic though. :oops:

danieldemol

Premium Member
I accept this, although I still think a world full of atheists would still be ****ing the planet up. Rather academic though. :oops:
Agreed, a world full of humans would be messing the planet up.

The focus in my view should be on compassionately reducing population levels till they are sustainable.

In my opinion