• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tolerance/intolerance

Greetings,

After looking at the various forum topics, this appeared to be a logical site for a question or two.

Is tolerance of intolerance a form of complicity?
If I am to be intolerant of intolerance, whom shall I strike down first?

Just wondering from the bogs, hope this does not smack of insincerity, as it is a puzzle for this light-brained reptile.

best,
swampy

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If I may put on my Seeker hat & enter the swamp for a moment, practice of tolerance sure seems hit & miss. Often those who trumpet their own tolerance, are only
tolerant of their own views, & intolerant of all else. Why? Because we are us, both good & true....& they are them, both dim & wicked. (I'm usually in the latter group.)
So Swampy, what foul deeds ruffle your scales & make you want to take action against them?

Last edited:
If I may put on my Seeker hat & enter the swamp for a moment, practice of tolerance sure seems hit & miss. Often those who trumpet their own tolerance, are only
tolerant of their own views, & intolerant of all else. Why? Because we are us, both good & true....& they are them, both dim & wicked. (I'm usually in the latter group.)
So Swampy, what foul deeds ruffle your scales & make you want to take action against them?

Racism is a biggie, but intolerance in general gives me a general sick-feeling, whether it be religious or whatever.

I work on being tolerant of the intolerant, else it seems I must place myself first in line of being intolerant. See what I mean?

Thanks for the response.

best,
swampy

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Racism is a biggie, but intolerance in general gives me a general sick-feeling, whether it be religious or whatever.
I work on being tolerant of the intolerant, else it seems I must place myself first in line of being intolerant.
I see it the same way.

Ain't we boring.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Is not beint tolerant to intolerance being intolerant to the needs of those not being tolerated?

Is not beint tolerant to intolerance being intolerant to the needs of those not being tolerated?

Hi iti oj,

That was my concern with being complicit. Can one accept another's intolerance and not accept it simultaneously? That is, can I attempt to understand and accept without being negligent to others?

It is my opinion that intolerance is the directive of ignorance.

best,
swampy

Iti oj

Premium Member
Hi iti oj,

That was my concern with being complicit. Can one accept another's intolerance and not accept it simultaneously? That is, can I attempt to understand and accept without being negligent to others?

It is my opinion that intolerance is the directive of ignorance.

best,
swampy

Hello swampy love peace and happiness to you im new hear but can tell you and I are gonna get along. I think we should tolerate intolerance by trying to educate them. This is the only way to be tolerant to both parties and our selves. To stand by and allow intolerance is the same as being intolerant.…

Hello swampy love peace and happiness to you im new hear but can tell you and I are gonna get along. I think we should tolerate intolerance by trying to educate them. This is the only way to be tolerant to both parties and our selves. To stand by and allow intolerance is the same as being intolerant.…

Hi Iti oj,

Thanks for the kind words and wishes and welcome aboard from another relative newcomer.

best,
swampy

Iti oj

Premium Member
So we have two groups we wish not to offend the intolerant and those they don't tolerate... which groups needs are more important to us? who do we wish to offend least?

So we have two groups we wish not to offend the intolerant and those they don't tolerate... which groups needs are more important to us? who do we wish to offend least?

Mornin' Iti oj,

The optimum would be to offend not anyone, alas it does appear that some will take offense regardless; perhaps these are those who carry a heavy load of intolerance, which I believe is an inner strife signal displayed outwardly.

Education or enlightenment of ignorance requires willingness of the student and patience for the instructor (IMHO).

best always,
swampy

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Education or enlightenment of ignorance requires willingness of the student and patience for the instructor....
I find that willingness is created by the patient instructor.
Questions & thoughtful discussion work so much better than castigation.

Iti oj

Premium Member
Mornin' Iti oj,

The optimum would be to offend not anyone, alas it does appear that some will take offense regardless; perhaps these are those who carry a heavy load of intolerance, which I believe is an inner strife signal displayed outwardly.

Education or enlightenment of ignorance requires willingness of the student and patience for the instructor (IMHO).

best always,
swampy
What about like breeds like, or where the attention goes the energy flows. How is it my fault that their intolerance breeds other people to be intolerant of them? :beach:

Averroes

I work on being tolerant of the intolerant, else it seems I must place myself first in line of being intolerant. See what I mean?

Thanks for the response.

best,
swampy

Waitasec has the best signature thus far here on this forum:

I inaccurately quote "I do not tolerate intolerance"

I personally believe when we tolerate intolerance be it racist views, xenophobia, even people of various religions we create an image of us being docile of accepting unacceptable behavior. I for one refuse to remain idle while other humans shoot down other humans for arbitrary reasons.

Last edited:

Averroes

I want to mention regarding racism that the impression I get on here is that many people here don't want to discuss it because there is an idea that we all are above that. In other words I guess I am supposed to expect the billions of people who flock to the internet are supposed to not have racially biased views and intolerant behavior? Just because someone doesn't say it, doesn't mean they don't feel it. Kinda feel this forum fosters that IMHO I am subject to being wrong however.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Waitasec has the best signature thus far here on this forum:

I inaccurately quote "I do not tolerate intolerance"

I personally believe when we tolerate intolerance be it racist views, xenophobia, even people of various religions we create an image of us being docile of accepting unacceptable behavior. I for one refuse to remain idle while other humans shoot down other humans for arbitrary reasons.

very well said...
if i may :)