• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Toddler tossed off plane for temper tantrum

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
It's quite obvious in this thread who's a parent and who isn't..........:rolleyes:

The airline handled this terribly. They did the correct thing by refunding the money and apologizing to the parents.

Djamila said:
Give that airline an award for me, please. :D

I'd give one to the parents. :yes:

Peace,
Mystic

Tigress

Working-Class W*nch.
"We do believe the situation could have been handled differently," said AirTran spokeswoman Judy Graham-Weaver. "We will use this case as a means to train our agents on dealing with this type of situation on our flights … While there are FAA regulations that mandate all passengers have to be securely fastened in their seat belts before a plane can depart, we need to work with our customers in situations like this to help them — and that is what we will focus on."

Good, I'm glad the airline is going to address this issue. Treating a three year-old the same as a thirty-three year-old is idiocy. If there are folks out there who would treat a young child like this, I'd hate to think of how they'd treat a disabled person. It's disgusting, to say the least.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Tigress said:

Good, I'm glad the airline is going to address this issue. Treating a three year-old the same as a thirty-three year-old is idiocy. If there are folks out there who would treat a young child like this, I'd hate to think of how they'd treat a disabled person. It's disgusting, to say the least.

Absolutley. To expect a toddler to act as a mini-adult is insane, you can try and make them, but it isn't going to happen. They are randomn as they want to be in their behavior, and just because you said so, doesn't mean a darn thing. Their brains haven't fully developed to understand half of what you are trying to teach them. A toddler is at the pre-operational level, which says a lot about how they act and what they do.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
I clicked this thread expecting to hear about a baby being tossed off the plane during flight. :areyoucra Scared me there.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Djamila said:
Give that airline an award for me, please. :D
i gotta say, i'm not too happy to share air time with screaming children X.X

i agree with Mila. perhaps the airline could have refunded the family's tickets or something more reasonable, but i think kicking them off the plane was at least a HUGE relief to all those seated :p

klubbhead024

evearael said:
A 3 year old girl and her family were kicked off an AirTran plane because the little girl had a temper tantrum.
http://www.telegram.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070121/COLUMN01/701210459/1008/NEWS02?page1

The airline has the right to kick off anyone they choose, but do you think they acted appropriately?

YES!!!! More places should kick families out for not controlling their children!
Would it be more appropriate to make 50-100 people suffer in an enclosed area for however long the flight is, or make the family suffer that can't control the child. The choice is clear.

Bishka

Veteran Member
klubbhead024 said:
YES!!!! More places should kick families out for not controlling their children!
Would it be more appropriate to make 50-100 people suffer in an enclosed area for however long the flight is, or make the family suffer that can't control the child. The choice is clear.

It's not necessarily the parents 'controlling' the child. Have you ever had or worked with toddlers? The parents can do everything in their power less then smothering the child and it still won't control that bottled up energy in that little one.

klubbhead024

Tigress said:

If there was a disabled person causing a massive annoyance on a plane, I would hope they got thrown off as well!

klubbhead024

beckysoup61 said:
It's not necessarily the parents 'controlling' the child. Have you ever had or worked with toddlers? The parents can do everything in their power less then smothering the child and it still won't control that bottled up energy in that little one.

When I was 3 if I acted like a fool in public, I got smacked. Parents these days don't smack their kids due to being sued, which is why they can do anything they want. Smacking kids when it becomes necessary is what keeps them in line during times like this.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
klubbhead024 said:
When I was 3 if I acted like a fool in public, I got smacked. Parents these days don't smack their kids due to being sued, which is why they can do anything they want. Smacking kids when it becomes necessary is what keeps them in line during times like this.
i gotta say, my mom usually pinched me, and it shut me up REAL fast :) kids just need some encouragement in the right direction :D

Bishka

Veteran Member
klubbhead024 said:

Smacking hardly does anything but grow resentment towards the person. If we taught respect towards others and emulated that to our children, perhaps they wouldn't 'act up' so much and need to be 'smacked'. If anything, you touch a child or smack them they are more likley (in public) to start yelling "YOU HIT ME!" or crying even louder.

klubbhead024

beckysoup61 said:
Smacking hardly does anything but grow resentment towards the person. If we taught respect towards others and emulated that to our children, perhaps they wouldn't 'act up' so much and need to be 'smacked'. If anything, you touch a child or smack them they are more likley (in public) to start yelling "YOU HIT ME!" or crying even louder.

Hardly! I have never resented my parents for occasionally hitting me.... it needed to be done. This may sound crude, but young children should be treated like dogs. Show then who is the boss, and make sure there are consequences.

Tigress

Working-Class W*nch.
klubbhead024 said:

If listening to a child crying is considered suffering to you, you must lead a truly blessed life. Perhaps the parents could have handled things better, I don't know, but a three year-old, possibly in pain, can hardly be faulted for fussing--something young children not yet equipped with the entirety of skills necessary to handle a particularly stressful situation in any other manner tend to do.

klubbhead024 said:
If there was a disabled person causing a massive annoyance on a plane, I would hope they got thrown off as well!

And if the person in question cannot help their disturbance?

klubbhead024 said:

Smacking is not the only form of discipline, if it can indeed be called discipline. But I digress, receiving a smack does not work for all children. I know this to be true because it didn't work for me.

SoyLeche

meh...
Buttons* said:
i gotta say, i'm not too happy to share air time with screaming children X.X
Meh - It would make a miserable experience slightly more miserable. Crying children don't bother me as long as it looks like the parents are at least trying to control them.

RevOxley_501

SoyLeche said:
Meh - It would make a miserable experience slightly more miserable. Crying children don't bother me as long as it looks like the parents are at least trying to control them.

when you say trying to control them, do you mean giving them valium? or asking them to please stop?

i see parents in supermarkets all the time bargaining and begging their children to behave...when that should not be the case, they should be telling them to be have, and getting that result. If you dont spank, at least put em in time out---though i highly reccomend swift, tough love

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
MysticSang'ha said:
It's quite obvious in this thread who's a parent and who isn't..........:rolleyes:

I reiterate this statement given the last few posts I've read from members here who think that crying kids are "brats". Usually the folks who are giving the loudest and most stern advice are the ones who don't have children themselves. AND they are the harshest critics of other parents, too.

If you think a screaming kid is a brat, then I suggest you to spend time with a group of autistic kids and see if your attitude changes about their disciplinary methods being the cause for the outbursts.

klubbhead024 said:
This may sound crude, but young children should be treated like dogs. Show then who is the boss, and make sure there are consequences.

Your post is definitely crude, suggesting that young children should be treated like dogs. They don't have to be treated that way in order to send the message who's in charge.

Peace,
Mystic

SoyLeche

meh...
RevOxley_501 said:
when you say trying to control them, do you mean giving them valium? or asking them to please stop?

i see parents in supermarkets all the time bargaining and begging their children to behave...when that should not be the case, they should be telling them to be have, and getting that result. If you dont spank, at least put em in time out---though i highly reccomend swift, tough love
Most anything - just so long as it isn't obvious that the kids are in charge. In that case, I want to go over and give them the "swift, though love".

I'm with you on the bargaining thing. I can't stand that.

Side note - the other day my 11 month old started playing with a power cord, and I grabbed him, told him "no" and swatted his hand a little bit. It wasn't much, but enough to get him crying :( - so I held him for a while till he felt better (it was pretty quick). Then, yesterday, he was going toward the power outlet and I told him "no" - and stopped and almost started crying again :( He might just be learning.

(A lot of times when my wife tells him "no" he just laughs at her :) )

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
SoyLeche said:
Most anything - just so long as it isn't obvious that the kids are in charge. In that case, I want to go over and give them the "swift, though love".

I'm with you on the bargaining thing. I can't stand that.

Side note - the other day my 11 month old started playing with a power cord, and I grabbed him, told him "no" and swatted his hand a little bit. It wasn't much, but enough to get him crying :( - so I held him for a while till he felt better (it was pretty quick). Then, yesterday, he was going toward the power outlet and I told him "no" - and stopped and almost started crying again :( He might just be learning.

(A lot of times when my wife tells him "no" he just laughs at her :) )

I think some here would be surprised to hear that most parents actually do what you do..............a swift and stern "NO!" when their child acts out or moves toward a dangerous situation.

You sound like a very loving, protective, and compassionate father. :) I've taken the road of parenting my kids (we have four) to be LOTS of love and LOTS of discipline.

And I believe the parents of the toddler who had the tantrum to have those same qualities. For anyone to believe that a genuinely well-disciplined child never has any outbursts, it raises the eyebrows a bit. That view is short-sighted.

Peace,
Mystic

jacquie4000

i
dislike children in a way i can hardly describe

One if you know you dislike children I hope you do not have any. This is important if you do not tolerate them, then don't try to raise one.

Not all methods work for all children. I have seen terriable children in Supermarkets also and I times I am bothered. But I am more bothered when I see a child being naughty and the parent feels screaming and spanking the child is going to actual produce good results in the long run. One you will probably end up with a child who screams and hits their children. I grew up with very tough parents and after awhile you become deaf to their demands and screams. You can have a well behaved child without hitting or spanking them at every turn. Parents tend to ignore their children and let them do what they want. Or yell and scream and hit. This is just another child not an adult.

And then some children have actual disorders, where it is difficult. But mostly it is the parents that do not care to listen and teach the child.