• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Todays Society

huajiro

After seeing so much behavior to prove it, I would like to ask the question:

Why are people in today's society so sellfish?

My logic on the road rage is that people are taking things out on you, that they can't take out on people at home, at work, etc. We have little personal contact with other people these days and it seems to be more and more negative. It seems even when it does not involve a vehicle.....I am still having a lot of altercations, but only because others are blatently doing something against me or my family.

As far as the problems on the freeway go, I am really not causing them, or exaggerating my innocence. If you doubt it, try driving in San Diego at any time of day (even 5:00 am) and you will find that even if there is no traffic, people will try to initiate a confrontation. This morning for example......I noticed that wherever there was space.....a car would move from behind another and occupy it......and keep going the same speed!!! You can see where this causes problems, can't you? Also, even when someone deliberately moves in front of you and you try and move away, the will move in front of you again!!!!

I believe that people feel the need to be noticed. Time is going by and people are going by, but people don't really "notice" each other any more. They want attention, even if it is negative. Example: I am turning on a street one day.......a few pedestrians are passing by. I waited a good while for them to cross (as they went slower once they noticed I was waiting). When I went to go by, one of the girls takes a step back to try and hit me. Why couldn't she just show me the same courtesy I showed her? Why do people feel the need to return rudeness for kindness?

The biggest problem is overpopulation (I always go back to the same). The more people you have, the less attention is paid to the individual. The next problem is materialism. People are so worried about having "things" and there are so few to go around. If you keep adding more people to the equation, you can see where all this conflict is coming from.

Let's imagine that the world is a machine.......take everything out of it but the processes. You have a raw product......this raw product is food.......clothing.....nurturing.....love. This is what you need to make and maintain your product : humans

If any ingredient is missing, your end product is flawed. If there is no food, they go hungry....can be defective, etc.....no clothes, they want.....steal....etc. No nurturing, love, etc......they become abusive, and affect your other humans.

If this were a machine......once we ran out of raw materials, we would have stopped. If any of them were missing, we would have stopped. If the products (humans) were damaging each other.....we would have stopped. This machine we call the world is not working, we don't have the materials to keep it working......and every day humans are more and more damaged. When will we stop the machine?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
If you teach personal freedom is more important than the good of society.
That enterprise only equates to personal wealth.
That tax can only be spent on things that benefit you.
That avarice shows respect for the value of money.
That government should not restrict personal liberty to do as they want.
That the poor are the result of fecklessness.
That the sick should fend for them selves.
That FairTrade is a dirty word.

Then you should expect society to be selfish.

Terry

jonny

Whenever someone cuts me off or frustrates me on the road, I always remember the wise words of advice from my grandfather.

"Road Rage! Let them through!"

The thought of him saying that has always made me laugh.

I think that people are selfish today because we live in a very "me-oriented" society. We are in a free market economy and everyone is trying to get ahead. This attitude often comes out in every day situations, such as driving.

I don't think that overpopulation is a problem. Drive around in Nevada, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Eastern Washington and Oregon. They are empty.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Terrywoodenpic said:
If you teach personal freedom is more important than the good of society.
That enterprise only equates to personal wealth.
That tax can only be spent on things that benefit you.
That avarice shows respect for the value of money.
That government should not restrict personal liberty to do as they want.
That the poor are the result of fecklessness.
That the sick should fend for them selves.
That FairTrade is a dirty word.

Then you should expect society to be selfish.

Terry

Crystal Red

Episkopos Crystal Red
The world is so selfish because people are so greedy, they want it all for themsleves because all they see all day long is celebrities on tv etc, who do have it all, they think that having it all is somehow goign to make them a better person, that it's going to complete them. It may complete some people, but it's false hope for many. The worse part is that most people can't see that what they are chasing is not really going to make them happy. People chase these dreams with no care for anyone else because they can't experience the world as others do, they can only see the world as they do, & they do, because they don't have time to make the effort to exercise empathy.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Consumerism run rampent... everyone is no longer willing to "keep up with the Jones'" they want to leave them in the dust. Everywhere you look is another coperation telilng you that to be happy, successful and beautiful you need to buy thier junk.

wa:do

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Consumerism run rampent... everyone is no longer willing to "keep up with the Jones'" they want to leave them in the dust. Everywhere you look is another coperation telilng you that to be happy, successful and beautiful you need to buy thier junk.
My theory is, and if any athiest object I won't take it personal because this won't fit every athiest, is that alot of people believe this is the only life to live, so live it looking beutiful and in vanity.
I think nice things are nice, but can be a pain paying for them. Cars are a good example. It's nice to have a shiny sports car, but insurance is high, gas mileage is low, and high performance grade fluids and oils usually cost a bit more. Those reasons are the ones I want to get rid of my Cougar. Payments are a pain, paying for gas is a pain, and all I need is a car that isn't rusty, runs good, and has a cd-player.
Ive gotten out of the materialistic phase.

huajiro

crystalred said:
The world is so selfish because people are so greedy, they want it all for themsleves because all they see all day long is celebrities on tv etc, who do have it all, they think that having it all is somehow goign to make them a better person, that it's going to complete them. It may complete some people, but it's false hope for many. The worse part is that most people can't see that what they are chasing is not really going to make them happy. People chase these dreams with no care for anyone else because they can't experience the world as others do, they can only see the world as they do, & they do, because they don't have time to make the effort to exercise empathy.
Youre right, the media does have a lot to do with it

huajiro

It is a beautiful thing when you realize that all of these material possessions mean absolutely nothing.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
painted wolf said:

wa:do
This is interesting - consumerism run rampant, I mean. We live in a 'throw away' society; things don't get fixed, they get dumped..
The plus side of that is that it keeps plenty of people employed; that makes the money go round. Nothing in life is good nor is it bad - there are bits of both in everything.:)