• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To Those Whose Ears and Eyes and Hearts are Open

Tumah

Veteran Member
Actually let me restate what I did previously because I am not sure my hermeneutics were all they could have been. The average Christian, more than any other similar group of believers has the doctrinal foundation to experience God himself the moment he enters his relationship with Christ. If the Christian is honest and not deluding himself then what they experience is actually objective proof. However that proof (no matter how absolute and unmistakable) is not available to others who have not been born again. I am not sure what terms reflect those issues best but the terms I originally used must have not been sufficient because you drew a conclusion different from what I was attempting to point out.

Also keep in mind that this almost certainty is what a Christian is offering to others in their own lives. No other faith can make this type of claim across the board. I was not making any claim of equality for these propositions because no other faith has an equal promise in it's doctrines to this type of experience. You can affirm or deny the existence of this experience but you cannot deny the inequality of the doctrinal statements within faiths as to this experience.
There are a number of statements here that are presented as fact, but seem to be statements of belief in their content.
- Have you surveyed all the other religions in order to determine that Christianity, more than any other offers its religious adherent an experience their gods as they enter communion with them?
- How are you differentiating between "objective proof that is not available to others" and "self-persuasion until delusion"?
- How are you determining that you are experiencing your god and not let's say, Islam's Shaytan tricking you into remaining in your non-Islamic path?

In other words, you are offering subjective reassurance of a religion to someone that already believes in it. Which happens to be the point of my OP.

I do not think that is what I stated here. I must have really bungled my language use in my post. I said that even if everyone on Earth made the exact same claim "if you diligently seek with an open heart you will find" that would not make the group who is right any less justified in making that claim. Also the correctness of a statement (even one in which others cannot access it's accuracy) is not subjective. A claim is absolutely correct or incorrect regardless of whether anyone knows which it actually is.

I disagree. If I said 2 + 2 = 4, I would first off either be objectively correct or objectively wrong. Secondly I would be no less right or no less wrong even if everyone claimed 2 + 2 was not equal to 4. Again I think the only point you could be right about would be to say that the person claiming 2 + 2 = 4 would be less persuasive if everyone said 2 + 2 was equal to something else, but that is a completely different issue.
I see your point. And when it comes to many claims, you are right
But the difference is that were you to take two groups of two sticks and put them together, you'll always get four. However, if you pray to a god or read the Scriptures with an open heart, you'll always get x, where x = the god you happen to be praying to/scriptures you are reading. So Christianity is right in this regard not because 2+2=Christianity, but because 2+2=x.

Relevant to the OP is an opinion, but you may be more right about it than I. Regardless, I do not really understand you point about experience and faith. The greatest possible foundation for faith is to have a spiritual experience which is predicated on the message of a faith. I will wait for you to clarify before I add more here.
What you are doing is putting forth the suggestion that experiential revelation is "the greatest possible foundation for faith" and then making a point based on experiential revelation. My issue is that this is not an objective statement, but your own belief and so the point that is derived from it, is nothing more than a statement of belief.

Glossolalia, may be something which a person may believe in but outside of a spiritual context it would be hard to do anything beyond agreeing or denying it occurs. Within a spiritual context a person may be able to go way beyond simple consent that it occurs but I think this is getting a little off track.
Especially if you don't intend to be making an argument for other religions that experience it.

I have been a prayer councilor and while my sample size would not be huge the majority of people I know did not come to faith in Christ by praying. Instead we came to faith through a combination of argumentation, the personal revelation of others, observing the moral examples of many mature in their faith, historical investigation, and personal experience. IOW we accumulate a massive amount of evidence in many categories until we are in a condition for God to break into our lives and lead us to redemption. When we experience spiritual redemption and the new birth from above then that experience replaces even the arguments that led us to faith. From then on argumentation and evidence is merely how we commend our faith to other but our own faith is primarily founded in experience. That was probably a little off topic but I need to first explain what Christian faith is.
I would say this section is the most relevant to the OP.
Essentially what you are saying here is, "prayer with a pure heart, wasn't enough for me as I needed argumentation, personal revelation, observations of moral examples, historical investigation and personal experience, but it will work for you, so have a go at it".

It sure appeared as if you were saying that since many claim that anyone who honestly and diligently investigates faiths in general then any individual doing so is wasting their time as they are no more right or wrong than any other. If that is not close to what you argued for then I cannot see what your argument is. Try this, let's say all your premise' were true, please provide your specific and emphatic conclusion.
I didn't mention in the OP those who suggest to other to examine: argumentation, personal revelation observation of moral examples, historical investigation and personal experience.
I specifically referenced believers tendency to suggest praying with a pure heart and reading scriptures as a means of coming to believe in their religions.

Ok, your last point was "Maybe it just really doesn't work unless you're already inclined to believe in the religion you're a part of?" Even though you put a question mark at the end, this appears to be a statement of belief. If it reflects your position then your begging the question. You seem intelligent so I will assume you know what begging the question is unless you indicate that you do not know what it means.
The way I intended it, was as a question posed to believers who are inclined to suggest non-believers pray to their god or read their scriptures with an open heart. The point was that they question, based on the ideas mentioned prior, whether this could ever really be an effective way of converting non-believers.

Shad

Veteran Member
That's true, but with a sufficiently "opened enough" heart, one might be inclined to ignore those emotionally objectionable things.

They could object events and/or lessons which are often passed over as righteous or moral by the believer. It is a double-edged sword as a method.

No, I was contrasting a person searching for any religion that would fill in the emotional/psychological needs, versus someone searching for a religion that seems to be true.

I do not think these can be separated. For one religions form an emotional attachment anyways and each believer thinks their view is true otherwise they wouldn't believe it.

In the former, most any religions will do and the searcher may not be inclined to actually search past the first religion that is presented to them. That's not really searching, I think.

What if the first religion they explore is concluded as the one which seems to be true as per the 2nd quote? I rarely have heard of anyone exploring all religions (which are accessible to the person in question) than make an evaluation after collecting as much "data" as possible. I most often hear people finding one early then stopping the search.

As was mine.

Sorry I should of clarified. In my experience the plea for "an open heart" is usually made after I have reject or objected to other arguments. It seems like a fallback argument when everything else has failed to convince me. So my scenario has this in mind. Like I said I rarely just hear "open your heart" as the only point or even among the first made.

A Vestigial Mote

Maybe it just really doesn't work unless you're already inclined to believe in the religion you're a part of?

I believe this is probably true. If one has already made up their mind, and is secure in their beliefs, I can't really imagine much more a reaction to this than an inward rolling of the eyes.

When people say it, they many times sound sincere to me, however I can't help but view it as having a subtext of intimidation. Being "closed minded" has negative connotations, and being "closed hearted" certainly doesn't sound any better. It's sort of like a statement of "if you're doing it right, it will work". And then when it doesn't work then the obvious conclusion is "you're doing it wrong", and even worse your heart/eyes/ears are closed. You're "that guy" and you've failed. And people wonder why anyone would falsely claim that they received blessing/heard God/felt the spirit... the answer is pretty obvious... they were bullied. And with kindness no less!

1robin

Christian/Baptist
There are a number of statements here that are presented as fact, but seem to be statements of belief in their content.
When I was almost done responding my computer locked up and I lost it all so this response will be a little briefer than my former attempt.

I guess the following points you made are examples of what you mentioned above so I will respond to each.

- Have you surveyed all the other religions in order to determine that Christianity, more than any other offers its religious adherent an experience their gods as they enter communion with them?
Well I did mention that the faiths I was comparing Christianity to were faiths similar to it. I am making statements that are in a context pretty close to what you established in your original post in the thread. You only gave Islam, Christianity, and Baha'i for the context. I have responded in a context a bit larger than that which you established but not much larger than that. For clarity lets officially state the context as the top 5 faiths currently practiced in mainstream societies so our discussion may be manageable, however if you want pick any major faith you feel contradicts my primary claims to Christianity's exclusivity.

- How are you differentiating between "objective proof that is not available to others" and "self-persuasion until delusion"?
I differentiated between the two by specifically stating that only those Christians who are not deluding themselves have experienced objective validation.

- How are you determining that you are experiencing your god and not let's say, Islam's Shaytan tricking you into remaining in your non-Islamic path?
This issue is similar to most theological and historical claims. I am not arguing for a certainty (my position is the faith position after all), instead I am arguing to the best conclusion and in this case my best conclusion is far better than the alternative.

Let me give a few of the potential hundreds of premise' to draw a conclusion from.

1. According to both Christianity's and Islam's doctrines only God himself can forgive sins. Here I am speaking about not just the legal issues but the existential experience which can be physically experienced. When I was saved decades of depression accumulated through personal tragedy and tons of guilt that had accumulated so slowly over the years that I did not notice it was in one blinding moment eradicated entirely. There are no words that can describe what that feels like to anyone who has not experienced it.
2. Every Christian I know of was born again only after following what amounts to a spiritual roadmap contained in the gospels. If I do just as the Apostles commanded and I receive exactly what they promised then it is hard to fathom that entities on the opposite side caused that process to yield fruit. true faith is not born in a vacuum but only after following certain lines of evidence which lead to an experience.
3. The exact nature of that experience the Bible describes is exactly the experience I had and others I have spoken to about it. There is even a website where Christians do their best to describe the event and they are all similar in there core facets. It is hard to believe Satan or Shai·tan (please note spelling) has fooled all of the billions who have been born anew just as the bible describes or that we are all having delusional emotion based self fulfilling experiences.
4. Both Islam and the Bible claim that faith in God is what redeems an adherent. Why would Satan grant that which is supposed to save a person?

I could go on forever but the best conclusion by far from the premise' is that salvation experiences by and large are valid and properly rooted by those having them. Keep in mind that although the same intellectual foundations exist in Islam and Christianity for salvation, that only Christianity offers the universal promise to an experiential event that accompanies salvation.

In other words, you are offering subjective reassurance of a religion to someone that already believes in it. Which happens to be the point of my OP.
No, I am offering an objective experience which validates the intellectual proposition referred to as salvation. Many offer the intellectual proposition but only Christianity (among the current mainstream religions) offers a universal experience that validates the intellectual doctrine of salvation.

I see your point. And when it comes to many claims, you are right
But the difference is that were you to take two groups of two sticks and put them together, you'll always get four. However, if you pray to a god or read the Scriptures with an open heart, you'll always get x, where x = the god you happen to be praying to/scriptures you are reading. So Christianity is right in this regard not because 2+2=Christianity, but because 2+2=x.
I appreciate your honesty. As to the rest what you stated seems to disregard my primary contention.

Not all faiths offer salvation in the sense that the bible means by the term but some do. However none of the other faiths that do even make a doctrinal promise to or a foundation for having a spiritual experience which is offered to all those that actually believe. Within every other faith that offers the classic idea of salvation all but one are simply intellectual positions where one concedes to a proposition, only Christianity offers universal real time validation. In every other faith you can intellectually consent to it's proposition but you will not know your wrong until it is too late to go back and change your mind, only Christianity offers confirmation while it is still possible to change your mind.

What you are doing is putting forth the suggestion that experiential revelation is "the greatest possible foundation for faith" and then making a point based on experiential revelation. My issue is that this is not an objective statement, but your own belief and so the point that is derived from it, is nothing more than a statement of belief.
I cannot even imagine something more substantial than an intellectual position accompanied by an interface with the divine. If there is something offered by another faith I would certainly like to know what it is and what faith contains it. Experience is how we confirm almost every notion we have as to what constitutes reality. Maybe in the strictest sense an experience is subject to believe but experiences if merely belief are among the greatest possible reliable methods used to detect reality. In that sense every conclusion any human or animal has ever had is also simply a belief.

Especially if you don't intend to be making an argument for other religions that experience it.
Post a religion that offers an experiential event to everyone that comes to believe and then I can evaluate it. I cannot not evaluate these other faiths to which you refer because of all those that I am aware of none offer what Christianity does. I can evaluate an religion that is unknown to me.

I would say this section is the most relevant to the OP.
Essentially what you are saying here is, "prayer with a pure heart, wasn't enough for me as I needed argumentation, personal revelation, observations of moral examples, historical investigation and personal experience, but it will work for you, so have a go at it".
You misunderstand me. Lets say X is a set which contains all of the evidence, arguments, documentation, etc...... required to come to superficial faith in the biblical God. This superficial faith is where all other faiths end in this context, but this is only where Christianity starts. Let's say Y is a set which contains the spiritual experiences that occur when God interacts in a Christian's life to produce salvation, personal miracles, and direct supernatural revelation. In a very simple way then X's purpose is to lead a person into a rendezvous with God (or the risen Christ if you prefer). At that point X has served it's purpose in this context and the person moves onto set Y. Y produces the spiritual redemption necessary to save a person, and this event among other things produces a one of a kind experience which words cannot describe which is the fulfillment of the purpose for set X. At that point the Christian transfers reliance for his faith from the superficial use of X to the actual purposes of Y which serves to validate or fulfill the purpose of X. At this point a person knows God personally because X led them to experience Y and by which Y supersedes X as the foundation for a person's Christian faith. However Y is not available to a non-believer and so while Y is the primary foundation for the Christian the way he recommends his faith to non-believers is to use set X.

No other faith I am aware of offers set Y to all believers the moment they come to what is called saving faith. At best other mainstream faiths offer a potential Y to a very small group of followers, so small I have only encountered a hand full in all other faiths combined over the course of several decades of debate and even more of study.

I may have one more attempt in me but I do not know how much clearer I can make this. I do not expect you to agree with me at this point but I certainly hope you can at least understand my position.

I didn't mention in the OP those who suggest to other to examine: argumentation, personal revelation observation of moral examples, historical investigation and personal experience.
I specifically referenced believers tendency to suggest praying with a pure heart and reading scriptures as a means of coming to believe in their religions.
I added to what you originally stated by showing Christianity potentially has another category of evidence to appeal to therefor making the claims of all religion un equal. I specifically stated that not all religions claims to belief equal. It is a distinction which makes a massive difference.

The way I intended it, was as a question posed to believers who are inclined to suggest non-believers pray to their god or read their scriptures with an open heart. The point was that they question, based on the ideas mentioned prior, whether this could ever really be an effective way of converting non-believers.
That may explain why so far I have not been able to find a conclusion to the premise' you have posted. It is very hard to evaluate a position which is merely a few premise'. The only answers I have to your question are that regardless of how many competing systems make the same type of claims the one who is actually right is completely justified to make them, and he is no more wrong or right because many others make similar claims. I also showed that at least one difference between those making similar claims is that Christian's have more to offer concerning their claims compared to others making similar claims.

Tumah

Veteran Member
When I was almost done responding my computer locked up and I lost it all so this response will be a little briefer than my former attempt.

I guess the following points you made are examples of what you mentioned above so I will respond to each.

Well I did mention that the faiths I was comparing Christianity to were faiths similar to it. I am making statements that are in a context pretty close to what you established in your original post in the thread. You only gave Islam, Christianity, and Baha'i for the context. I have responded in a context a bit larger than that which you established but not much larger than that. For clarity lets officially state the context as the top 5 faiths currently practiced in mainstream societies so our discussion may be manageable, however if you want pick any major faith you feel contradicts my primary claims to Christianity's exclusivity.
Any mysticism based faith has ways of achieving some form of divine revelation. Mine has one as well.

I differentiated between the two by specifically stating that only those Christians who are not deluding themselves have experienced objective validation.
Which is kind of like saying, "between those who are making themselves psychotic and those who are unaware that they are experiencing hallucinations", isn't it? I mean, were it not for the fact that your faith tells you differently.

Your claim as to the quality of your experience is ultimately based on faith: your faith tells you that the signs you are experiencing are divine and you believe it.

This issue is similar to most theological and historical claims. I am not arguing for a certainty (my position is the faith position after all), instead I am arguing to the best conclusion and in this case my best conclusion is far better than the alternative.

Let me give a few of the potential hundreds of premise' to draw a conclusion from.

1. According to both Christianity's and Islam's doctrines only God himself can forgive sins. Here I am speaking about not just the legal issues but the existential experience which can be physically experienced. When I was saved decades of depression accumulated through personal tragedy and tons of guilt that had accumulated so slowly over the years that I did not notice it was in one blinding moment eradicated entirely. There are no words that can describe what that feels like to anyone who has not experienced it.
I'm about 99.999% sure that every major religion on the planet has people who were sunken into drugs and/or depression and turned to religion as a means of relief. In fact, I'm pretty sure that concept is the basis for the 12-step program used in AA.

2. Every Christian I know of was born again only after following what amounts to a spiritual roadmap contained in the gospels. If I do just as the Apostles commanded and I receive exactly what they promised then it is hard to fathom that entities on the opposite side caused that process to yield fruit. true faith is not born in a vacuum but only after following certain lines of evidence which lead to an experience.
My religion has a spiritual road map that leads to Divine revelation of the Holy Spirit and the ability to resurrect the dead. Many over the past 2,000 years have been successful. Difficulty level aside, what does that tell you about your road map.

3. The exact nature of that experience the Bible describes is exactly the experience I had and others I have spoken to about it. There is even a website where Christians do their best to describe the event and they are all similar in there core facets. It is hard to believe Satan or Shai·tan (please note spelling) has fooled all of the billions who have been born anew just as the bible describes or that we are all having delusional emotion based self fulfilling experiences.
Is it hard to believe that your Satan has fooled all the billions of non-Christians into not believing in Jesus?

4. Both Islam and the Bible claim that faith in God is what redeems an adherent. Why would Satan grant that which is supposed to save a person?
He isn't. He's misleading you into believing that you have what you don't.

I could go on forever but the best conclusion by far from the premise' is that salvation experiences by and large are valid and properly rooted by those having them. Keep in mind that although the same intellectual foundations exist in Islam and Christianity for salvation, that only Christianity offers the universal promise to an experiential event that accompanies salvation.
I agree that the same level of intellectual foundation is found in both Christianity and Islam.

No, I am offering an objective experience which validates the intellectual proposition referred to as salvation. Many offer the intellectual proposition but only Christianity (among the current mainstream religions) offers a universal experience that validates the intellectual doctrine of salvation.
And since you are already predisposed to believing it, non-Christians would be inclined to calling it confirmation bias.

I appreciate your honesty. As to the rest what you stated seems to disregard my primary contention.

Not all faiths offer salvation in the sense that the bible means by the term but some do. However none of the other faiths that do even make a doctrinal promise to or a foundation for having a spiritual experience which is offered to all those that actually believe. Within every other faith that offers the classic idea of salvation all but one are simply intellectual positions where one concedes to a proposition, only Christianity offers universal real time validation. In every other faith you can intellectually consent to it's proposition but you will not know your wrong until it is too late to go back and change your mind, only Christianity offers confirmation while it is still possible to change your mind.
There is nothing new here.

I cannot even imagine something more substantial than an intellectual position accompanied by an interface with the divine. If there is something offered by another faith I would certainly like to know what it is and what faith contains it. Experience is how we confirm almost every notion we have as to what constitutes reality. Maybe in the strictest sense an experience is subject to believe but experiences if merely belief are among the greatest possible reliable methods used to detect reality. In that sense every conclusion any human or animal has ever had is also simply a belief.

Post a religion that offers an experiential event to everyone that comes to believe and then I can evaluate it. I cannot not evaluate these other faiths to which you refer because of all those that I am aware of none offer what Christianity does. I can evaluate an religion that is unknown to me.
As I stated above, that's what mysticism is all about. There are many to choose from.

You misunderstand me. Lets say X is a set which contains all of the evidence, arguments, documentation, etc...... required to come to superficial faith in the biblical God. This superficial faith is where all other faiths end in this context, but this is only where Christianity starts. Let's say Y is a set which contains the spiritual experiences that occur when God interacts in a Christian's life to produce salvation, personal miracles, and direct supernatural revelation. In a very simple way then X's purpose is to lead a person into a rendezvous with God (or the risen Christ if you prefer). At that point X has served it's purpose in this context and the person moves onto set Y. Y produces the spiritual redemption necessary to save a person, and this event among other things produces a one of a kind experience which words cannot describe which is the fulfillment of the purpose for set X. At that point the Christian transfers reliance for his faith from the superficial use of X to the actual purposes of Y which serves to validate or fulfill the purpose of X. At this point a person knows God personally because X led them to experience Y and by which Y supersedes X as the foundation for a person's Christian faith. However Y is not available to a non-believer and so while Y is the primary foundation for the Christian the way he recommends his faith to non-believers is to use set X.
I understand what you are saying. You are saying that the intellectual evidence component of Christianity is the means through which you come to the revelatory evidence component. And once you reach stage 2, the major burden of belief is lodged in that stage.

No other faith I am aware of offers set Y to all believers the moment they come to what is called saving faith. At best other mainstream faiths offer a potential Y to a very small group of followers, so small I have only encountered a hand full in all other faiths combined over the course of several decades of debate and even more of study.
Odd that. Essentially your argument for Christianity is: "its easier here".

I may have one more attempt in me but I do not know how much clearer I can make this. I do not expect you to agree with me at this point but I certainly hope you can at least understand my position.
Of course the possibility of me agreeing with you was nil from the start. But I think I understand it.

I added to what you originally stated by showing Christianity potentially has another category of evidence to appeal to therefor making the claims of all religion un equal. I specifically stated that not all religions claims to belief equal. It is a distinction which makes a massive difference.
That was not the question of the OP though. I wasn't asking whether the claims for a religion are valid or whether there are other more convincing claims in a given religion.

I questioned the validity of telling someone not of your faith to pray and/or study with a pure heart as a means to come to belief in your religion. Not because it doesn't work, but because it potentially works for all religions. What the claimant seems to be saying is, "The truth will make itself clear to you if you'd only open your heart to let it in". What the claimant is actually saying is, "This method is a tried and true method for bringing people to believe in religion. Try it so that you'll come to believe in my religion."

Again, all other claims, arguments, etc. are irrelevant to my OP. I was specifically speaking about the practice of telling non-believers to pray and study with a pure heart.

That may explain why so far I have not been able to find a conclusion to the premise' you have posted. It is very hard to evaluate a position which is merely a few premise'. The only answers I have to your question are that regardless of how many competing systems make the same type of claims the one who is actually right is completely justified to make them, and he is no more wrong or right because many others make similar claims. I also showed that at least one difference between those making similar claims is that Christian's have more to offer concerning their claims compared to others making similar claims.
Which is essentially irrelevant to my OP. The question wasn't about the authenticity of the religion behind the claim, but the quality of the claim itself as explained above.

Also, its really difficult to respond to these long posts.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Any mysticism based faith has ways of achieving some form of divine revelation. Mine has one as well.
Ok, fair warning for reasons that have nothing to do with you the time I can debate is growing short so I cannot engage in long discussions. Please pick 3 or 4 of the points here that you think are the most important and let's just discuss those please.

I do not see how the word mysticism is relevant to the issue of divine revelation, not that revelation was the subject of this discussion.

Which is kind of like saying, "between those who are making themselves psychotic and those who are unaware that they are experiencing hallucinations", isn't it? I mean, were it not for the fact that your faith tells you differently.
Which is begging the question. Your assuming that no one can have an authentic experience with God then your concluding that which you assumed.

Your claim as to the quality of your experience is ultimately based on faith: your faith tells you that the signs you are experiencing are divine and you believe it.
I can't speak for everyone but I had no expectation of what was going to occur when I accepted Christ. I walked around in a daze in awe of the way I felt. Only later after I really began investigating the bible did I see that every aspect of what I experienced lined up with the bible's descriptions and promises. I expect that that situation holds true for more Christians that it does not hold true for.

I'm about 99.999% sure that every major religion on the planet has people who were sunken into drugs and/or depression and turned to religion as a means of relief. In fact, I'm pretty sure that concept is the basis for the 12-step program used in AA.
I did not mention drugs, and I am not talking about a comforting message. Nothing can be farther from comforting that to realize your utterly condemned. It was not religion I experienced but a spiritual awakening.

My religion has a spiritual road map that leads to Divine revelation of the Holy Spirit and the ability to resurrect the dead. Many over the past 2,000 years have been successful. Difficulty level aside, what does that tell you about your road map.
Judaism does not include any promise to the Holy Spirit as an eternal possession. In Judaism the Holy Spirit merely preforms certain actions in a believer and then departs. That is what Jesus meant by that if he did not leave the comforter could not come.

Is it hard to believe that your Satan has fooled all the billions of non-Christians into not believing in Jesus?
This is not an argument, I do not know what it is.

He isn't. He's misleading you into believing that you have what you don't.
What? Having a thing which can be detected by our senses is as close to an objective fact as exists. If I can detect that I have feet then it is ridiculous to suggest Satan is merely tricking me into believing I have faith. Your argumentation has certainly deteriorated so far.

I agree that the same level of intellectual foundation is found in both Christianity and Islam.
I wouldn't, I would say they both make the same type of epistemological promises but not the same magnitude of intellectual verification.

And since you are already predisposed to believing it, non-Christians would be inclined to calling it confirmation bias.
You probably have never met anyone who hated the mere idea of God than I did before I was saved. My mother was a believer. she got cancer and over 5 years I saw the most precious person I knew get tortured to death without God helping here. I literally hated God and Christians. Only after many years of observing Christians did I start investigating religions again. Years later I saw that the God I hated actually existed and like him or hate him I must recon with him. Once I realized the truth and cried out for Christ I experienced actual peace and a love that is impossible to describe.

There is nothing new here.
I said nothing about it being new, I said it was true.

As I stated above, that's what mysticism is all about. There are many to choose from.
That sounds like a copout. If there are many then that means it is easier for you to present one.

I understand what you are saying. You are saying that the intellectual evidence component of Christianity is the means through which you come to the revelatory evidence component. And once you reach stage 2, the major burden of belief is lodged in that stage.
Close enough.

Odd that. Essentially your argument for Christianity is: "its easier here".
That does not follow from anything I said.

Of course the possibility of me agreeing with you was nil from the start. But I think I understand it.
And there we have it. I usually have to spend a lot of time showing that others have a presumptive bias. Glad you admitted it up front.

That was not the question of the OP though. I wasn't asking whether the claims for a religion are valid or whether there are other more convincing claims in a given religion.

I questioned the validity of telling someone not of your faith to pray and/or study with a pure heart as a means to come to belief in your religion. Not because it doesn't work, but because it potentially works for all religions. What the claimant seems to be saying is, "The truth will make itself clear to you if you'd only open your heart to let it in". What the claimant is actually saying is, "This method is a tried and true method for bringing people to believe in religion. Try it so that you'll come to believe in my religion."

Again, all other claims, arguments, etc. are irrelevant to my OP. I was specifically speaking about the practice of telling non-believers to pray and study with a pure heart.
No, it seemed as if you were minimalizing the validity of a claim to X by saying that others make claims of the same type. I was showing that was not logical. I added that there is a lot more to the claims of a religion's adherents if that religion is Christianity. I was showing you how that Christianity has a lot more to offer than merely saying that if you study with an open heart you should believe.

Which is essentially irrelevant to my OP. The question wasn't about the authenticity of the religion behind the claim, but the quality of the claim itself as explained above.

Also, its really difficult to respond to these long posts.
I agree, why don't you go back and post a sentence or two which emphatically states your conclusions. I have pointed out that your original post was more of a series of premises but as of yet I do not see a specific conclusion from your premises. We can concentrate only what you post in reply to this and forget everything else if you wish.

Jedster

So why is faith in god required when the receiving of everlasting life is arbitrary?
Seems to me that these people who say "you must have faith..etc" don't have any real experience of their God. All their information is from their book(s), so their borrowed beliefs become their imagined experience.
It is interesting to note that mystics from many religions are often persecuted by the orthodox. I think that's because many mystics place experience above 'correct practise'.