• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To those who believe people go to heaven/hell instantly when they die...

mycorrhiza

What is the point of the ressurection at the end of time? If everyone already is in their right place, why is a ressurection necessary? :confused:

(This topic is for those who support instantly going to heaven/hell, not those who support that the soul sleeps until the ressurection).

HerDotness

Lady Babbleon
Very simply, to reunite body and soul.

I've long suspected that the idea of resurrection of the dead was developed in part to reassure people that the body which we tend to identify most with in an everyday sense wouldn't simply rot away, a distressing idea for many today as well.

I agree with you that it would hardly be necessary when the soul has long since begun its eternal reward or punishment. I think believing in resurrection of the body gives a feeling of completion to people accustomed to inhabiting bodies.

mycorrhiza

Very simply, to reunite body and soul.

I've long suspected that the idea of resurrection of the dead was developed in part to reassure people that the body which we tend to identify most with in an everyday sense wouldn't simply rot away, a distressing idea for many today as well.

I agree with you that it would hardly be necessary when the soul has long since begun its eternal reward or punishment. I think believing in resurrection of the body gives a feeling of completion to people accustomed to inhabiting bodies.

That kinda makes sense! But most people die old, so wouldn't the physical body be old-looking if it was ressurected? What about decay?
If the body is gonna be changed after the ressurection anyway, the ressurection still doesn't serve much purpose.

Last edited:

HerDotness

Lady Babbleon
I think the underlying belief of most religions that believe in resurrection of the body is that your body in heaven will appear as it did at its prime during your life. I've heard that said anyway, and that is how mediums who see as well as hear spirits say that the spirit appears.

We tend to think it really sad for an active, relatively young person to die while in the "prime of life" as it's often termed. So, if the body being tortured eternally in hell is that of a young-looking person, that seems to me to make the idea of eternal punishment that much worse...and to urge people to be good (if you believe these things, that is.)

I care

I think the underlying belief of most religions that believe in resurrection of the body is that your body in heaven will appear as it did at its prime during your life. I've heard that said anyway, and that is how mediums who see as well as hear spirits say that the spirit appears.

We tend to think it really sad for an active, relatively young person to die while in the "prime of life" as it's often termed. So, if the body being tortured eternally in hell is that of a young-looking person, that seems to me to make the idea of eternal punishment that much worse...and to urge people to be good (if you believe these things, that is.)
How does that go for a foetus?

SaintAugustine

At the Monastery
most western religions have a "particular" judgement that happens instantly after death..you know if up or down..right away. There also seems to be a difference..between "paradise" and The Kingdom of Heaven......paradise is the kind of the ante room party...while the Kingdom of Heaven is the final end game (that's where the body soul union comes into play)....its back to the garden of Eden if you will...how it was supposed to be.

As for Hell...theories abound...classical: eternal punishment. However John Locke pointed out that scripture says just the flames are eternal....if you read it correctly. Others believe that God would not eternally punish, and soul annihilation takes place.

There are some variatons on a theme...purgatory. If your in purgatory,your on your way to heaven...your sins may be forgiven, but you got to pay for the consequences..either i this life or in purgatory. Imagine taking a bath that hurts while it washes away all that dirt.

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
What is the point of the ressurection at the end of time? If everyone already is in their right place, why is a ressurection necessary? :confused:

(This topic is for those who support instantly going to heaven/hell, not those who support that the soul sleeps until the ressurection).
we the muslims believe the sleep is a kind of death
it's just as you ask in the morning why i wake up !!!

HerDotness

Lady Babbleon
Originally Posted by HerDotness

How does that go for a foetus?

Hmmm...interesting question. I don't know. Don't think I ever heard anyone explain how a body that hadn't fully formed would appear.

Since I tend to think this idea developed to comfort people worried that they "wouldn't look like themselves" in the afterlife, I suppose that a fetus would appear as the baby it would have become.

HerDotness

Lady Babbleon
This leads to the question: Will it grow up or does it stay a baby for all eternity?

::::::: giving stern parental look :::::: That's about enough questions from you. Go outside and play now. ;)

Seriously, I've never heard it said that anyone grows or changes once they have that "prime of life" body in heaven or hell. So, the fetus would remain a baby.

mycorrhiza

::::::: giving stern parental look :::::: That's about enough questions from you. Go outside and play now. ;)

Seriously, I've never heard it said that anyone grows or changes once they have that "prime of life" body in heaven or hell. So, the fetus would remain a baby.

It's 9 pm :(

Man, being a baby for all eternity would be boring :D

HerDotness

Lady Babbleon
It's 9 pm :(

Well, then, you should be in your room getting ready for bed. Do you want a bedtime story tonight?

(It's mid-afternoon here in the middle of the U.S.)

Man, being a baby for all eternity would be boring :D

Oh, I don't know. You'd never be expected to do much of anything, and somebody would always take care of you. Might be pretty relaxing actually.