• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To The Jesus Myth Theorist

outhouse

Atheistically
Paul's silence. The gospels, especially the synoptics. Secular silence about Jesus. Mankind's long history of hero-building and hero-worship.

Etc., etc., etc.

How about you? Do you have any evidence for the historical Jesus theory?

Mythers are so ignorant on purpose when it comes to realizing it was normal for them to deify mortal men, they have a track record of doing this.

secondly, were talking about a group of men writing about him that was not even from jesus culture.

jesus was a jew, who taught for hard working illiterate jews, he was a teacher of judaism for poor jews.

the people who wrote about him were all hellenistic romans, NOT strickly jews

we have a cross culture exchange of information that will not remain accurate, this is ignored by mythers and used poorly to try and discredit HJ through ignorance.

AmbiguousGuy

Since we've already been over all of this, Blood, I'm going to be quick with my replies. Let me know if you want to expand any of them.

Let's deal with Paul's silence first. He wasn't silent.

Sure he was.

He tells us that the brother of Jesus was still living

And it's all you've got. To a rational mind, the supposed mention of Jesus' brother is the only real evidence on your side. I don't know how to explain it, although I've proposed an interpolation, a mistranslation, a metaphorical brother, etc.

But those aren't important. What's important is that you have only one little bit of actual compelling evidence upon which to build your theory of an historical Jesus, while there's a mountain of evidence against the historical Jesus. Why cling to the one little bit? That's my question.

and the spent time with one of the head disciples of Jesus, learning from him.

Yeah. Learning all sort of physical detail about Jesus which he never mentions to anyone else so far as we know. It's the foundation of my theory -- that Paul knew Jesus' disciples. Without that, his silence would not be such compelling evidence of the non-historical Jesus.

We are told of at least one direct saying of Jesus, and that has to do with divorce

What can I say. If you find that somehow convincing, then you find it convincing.

We are told that Jesus is human, that he was born of a mother, according to the law. We are told that he was crucified (a very human death that places him in a quite specific time period). We are told that Jesus was a Jew, that he lived after Abraham and the like. That he lived around the time of Paul.

All fit perfectly with a proto-Jesus except the last one. Can you give me detail on that one?

The letters of Paul were not trying to convert anyone though. Their purpose was to answer questions and address problems that had arisen. So there was no reason for Paul to really say much about Jesus, to people who already knew about Jesus.

First, they knew about the proto-Jesus, not the historical one, at least according to my view. Second, what better way to "answer questions and address problems" than to offer teaching moments from the actual, physical life of Jesus? I mean, do you really and truly believe that Paul would not have used the life of Jesus to address these issues? If so, you and I simply see things differently.

As for the Gospels, they show that Jesus existed. They place Jesus in the first century,

I believe the gospels -- except John -- were probably written as fiction. But even if not, why would you accept Jesus' placement in the first century but reject various other claims in the gospels?

... and surround him with figures such as John the Baptist, Pilate, etc. They place his death around that of Herod the Great. More so, they are written during a time that people would still have been alive who could have known Jesus or the followers of Jesus.

If they were written as fiction, why would anyone object? Do you object that Sherlock Holmes wasn't a real guy?

More so, they would have been based off of oral tradition, that went further back. So we do have some good information there.

Sure. All the way back to the proto-Jesus.

By the way, if you believe in this oral tradition, why didn't Paul offer us even more sayings of Jesus (besides the divorce thing)?

Also, it is highly unlikely that if the Gospels were making someone up, no one would know that. The reason being that people would still be alive who would have known.

Answered above. Why object to a fictional character?

More so, they fit into the genre of ancient biographies. They were not written in the genre of fiction. But as ancient biographies, which resemble many other such works.

Really? Which works exactly?

And how do you explain the synoptics... the language tracking? As I say, I've never seen that kind of thing except in fiction rewrites.

As for mankind long history of hero-building and hero-worshipping, if you look at most of those hero's, they are historical.

Sure. And I have no problem with the idea of a proto-Jesus. People usually need some kind of seed to inspire them when creating heroes.

There was no reason to make up a failed messiah, when there were so many other messianic claimants. Some of which definitely fit the mold better.

There was every reason to create a messiah whose real life could not be examined for flaws. It was the genius of making Jesus, I think.

As for etc, etc, etc, well that is just a bad argument.

Yeah. I was just getting bored, is all.

Last edited:

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Mythers are so ignorant on purpose when it comes to realizing it was normal for them to deify mortal men, they have a track record of doing this.
Wasn't really normal. The vast majority of individuals were never deified. And not all cultures had a track record of such. The Jews, for example, didn't really have such a track record. And even other cultures, only important people were deified, and it was somewhat special.
secondly, were talking about a group of men writing about him that was not even from jesus culture.
Sure they were. Many of them were Jews. So they were from the same ethnic group, which shared a similar culture. Also, the entire area was hellenized to a point, including Palestine.
jesus was a jew, who taught for hard working illiterate jews, he was a teacher of judaism for poor jews.
Jesus was a Jew, who taught a Jewish message, to other Jews. One did not have to be hard working, illiterate, or poor. He taught to tax collectors, and they weren't poor and probably were literate to a point.
the people who wrote about him were all hellenistic romans, NOT strickly jews
Can you provide any evidence that they were Romans? I am assuming you mean Roman citizens. If you simply mean that they lived in Roman land, then Jesus would be Roman as well.

Also, what exactly do you mean hellenistic? If you mean just being influenced by Hellenistic culture, then Jesus would also been somewhat Hellenized. Palestine did not escape Hellenistic influences.
we have a cross culture exchange of information that will not remain accurate, this is ignored by mythers and used poorly to try and discredit HJ through ignorance.
It isn't too much cross culture though. Many scholars believe that Matthew was writing in Palestine (or at least the community originated from there).

Also, even oral tradition, across cultures, can remain quite accurate. Especially if all of those cultures are oral cultures and influenced by each other.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Since we've already been over all of this, Blood, I'm going to be quick with my replies. Let me know if you want to expand any of them.
I think everyone wants you to expand. That's is why everyone is asking you too.
Sure he was.
That is not an argument. If you want to convince people, make an argument.
And it's all you've got. To a rational mind, the supposed mention of Jesus' brother is the only real evidence on your side. I don't know how to explain it, although I've proposed an interpolation, a mistranslation, a metaphorical brother, etc.

But those aren't important. What's important is that you have only one little bit of actual compelling evidence upon which to build your theory of an historical Jesus, while there's a mountain of evidence against the historical Jesus. Why cling to the one little bit? That's my question.
That isn't all I have. I wrote quite a bit on what we have. You just happened to, dishonestly I may add, take a statement out of context. To a rational mind, they would see that as being dishonest, and simply a ridiculous argument.

Also, you haven't provided a mountain. So basically, I have to come to the conclusion that you are simply lying. I base this on the fact that you took what I said out of context, and claimed it was all I had (even though I provided a series of other arguments) and you haven't produced this mountain of evidence.
Yeah. Learning all sort of physical detail about Jesus which he never mentions to anyone else so far as we know. It's the foundation of my theory -- that Paul knew Jesus' disciples. Without that, his silence would not be such compelling evidence of the non-historical Jesus.
You are ignoring the fact that Paul was writing letters. He wasn't writing a biography. He was answering questions.

We have no idea what Paul spoke about when he set up those churches that he wrote to.
What can I say. If you find that somehow convincing, then you find it convincing.
Not an argument.
All fit perfectly with a proto-Jesus except the last one. Can you give me detail on that one?
Again, not an argument. Also, we are told that Jesus lived around the time of Paul because we are told Jesus had a brother, and close family that was living then. Crucifixion also places Jesus around the time of Paul. Basically, if you read Paul, you will see that Paul put Jesus around his time.
First, they knew about the proto-Jesus, not the historical one, at least according to my view. Second, what better way to "answer questions and address problems" than to offer teaching moments from the actual, physical life of Jesus? I mean, do you really and truly believe that Paul would not have used the life of Jesus to address these issues? If so, you and I simply see things differently.
Your view doesn't matter unless you can support it. You haven't supported it, so it really is a useless claim, and not an argument.

Second, I am assuming you have never read the letters of Paul. Because if you did, you would see that there is no reason to give a biography lesson there. Also, Paul does use Jesus to address certain points. He directly quotes Jesus in regards to divorce. He also seems to reference Jesus indirectly in other cases.
I believe the gospels -- except John -- were probably written as fiction. But even if not, why would you accept Jesus' placement in the first century but reject various other claims in the gospels?
I honestly don't care what you believe unless you can provide evidence for your claim.

As for why I would accept Jesus' placement in the first century, but reject other claims, it is because I understand the genre of ancient biographies. Most, if not all, historical figures that were written about during that time have the same sort of mythical ideas attached to them. It was part of the genre. So, what I do, is examine other works in the same genre, and learn how to critique them properly.
If they were written as fiction, why would anyone object? Do you object that Sherlock Holmes wasn't a real guy?
The works containing Sherlock Holmes fit into the genre of fiction. Why? Because they were written as such. The Gospels do not fit into the genre of ancient fiction. We know this because we can compare the Gospels to other genres from that time. When done so, they appear like other ancient biographies.

All one needs is a little information about how to discern genres.
Sure. All the way back to the proto-Jesus.

By the way, if you believe in this oral tradition, why didn't Paul offer us even more sayings of Jesus (besides the divorce thing)?
First, you have not supplied any evidence for a proto-Jesus besides that you believe in such an idea. That is not an argument. That is faith.

As for why Paul doesn't directly quote Jesus more often? There was no reason to. Paul was dealing with a lot of things that Jesus never had to. Thus, there were no sayings of Jesus regarding much of what Paul was saying.

More so, Paul does seem to indirectly quote Jesus from time to time.
Answered above. Why object to a fictional character?
Because they are written as a fictional character, they are put into a fictional work, and they are intended to be fiction.

Jesus was not any of those. How can we know this? Because we can compare the genres of the Gospels and other ancient genres, and see that they fit most closely to ancient biographies.
Really? Which works exactly?

And how do you explain the synoptics... the language tracking? As I say, I've never seen that kind of thing except in fiction rewrites.
Which works? Look at the various ancient biographies of the Roman emperors (such as Augustus), Alexander the Great, Caesar, etc.

As for how do I explain the synoptics. That is quite easy. Matthew and Luke used other sources in order to compile a better document. We see this in nearly all historical writings. Luke is even upfront about this. He states exactly what he is doing.

And I believe that you have only seen this in fiction, and I assume that is because you have never read any ancient works. Or probably not a single historical work at all. Because yes, nearly all historical works rely on older sources.

Sure. And I have no problem with the idea of a proto-Jesus. People usually need some kind of seed to inspire them when creating heroes.
Yet you have no evidence. All you have shown is blind faith. Even here, you didn't argue against what I said. All you have done is stated your beliefs.
There was every reason to create a messiah whose real life could not be examined for flaws. It was the genius of making Jesus, I think.
Why create a messiah who fails? A messiah claimant who dies is automatically ruled out. There really is no logical reason for creating such a character. Especially if you understand the culture and the expectations for the messiah.
Yeah. I was just getting bored, is all.
Well maybe next time, you would want to provide some actual argument, instead of stating what you blindly believe.

AmbiguousGuy

There's discussion about what those opinions are based on.

Or rather, there should be.

I agree. It's why I've been making my case with hard evidence and rational argumentation -- all the while trying to prod others here to put aside the ad hominems and join the actual discussion.

So I'm glad that you and I agree on this matter. God truly is in His heaven.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I agree. It's why I've been making my case with hard evidence and rational argumentation --

Ah good. which thread would that be in?

all the while trying to prod others

That part I noticed.

here to put aside the ad hominems and join the actual discussion.

Well good. Glad you're finally willing to try and adapt. :yes:

So I'm glad that you and I agree on this matter. God truly is in His heaven.

You're evidence?

AmbiguousGuy

You're evidence?

Well, yes, I suppose you could say that. There is a sense in which I am evidence. I mean, if we were space aliens, how would we try to determine the historicity of Jesus? Well, we might search the planet for the most powerful human minds, the ones with the strongest argumentation, and we might use the conclusion of those minds as evidence for, in this case, the non-historical nature of Jesus.

So you make me blush a little when you ask me if I am evidence, but I must be honest about it. We wise guys are always in tune with our essential natures.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, yes, I suppose you could say that. There is a sense in which I am evidence. I mean, if we were space aliens, how would we try to determine the historicity of Jesus? Well, we might search the planet for the most powerful human minds, the ones with the strongest argumentation, and we might use the conclusion of those minds as evidence for, in this case, the non-historical nature of Jesus.

Ah. So you're saying that since you aren't an alien, it's alright for you to assume the non existence of an historical Jesus without bothering to do any of that.

So you make me blush a little when you ask me if I am evidence,

Now that you mention it, I have had you pictured with a somewhat reddish face all through this.

but I must be honest about it.

One more thing we'll have to disagree about.

We wise guys are always in tune with our essential natures.

Have you thought about getting a tune up?

AmbiguousGuy

Yes, the same question pretty much everyone in here has been asking you for the last several pages: when and where did you present this alleged "evidence"?

I posted it today, to Jayhawker. He replied by posting some of his own (purported) evidence.

Do you really want me to go and look up the message number for you?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I posted it today, to Jayhawker. He replied by posting some of his own (purported) evidence.

Do you really want me to go and look up the message number for you?

Don't bother. I'll go and have a look at your most recent posts in here.