• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To Proclaim or not to Proclaim!

Brahman

Paramatman
I have seen that there are people across the globe who proclaim enlightenment. The Tibetan Buddhist say that one should not proclaim. So what would be the right thing to do. I would, personally, say that one should do so in a hidden fashion. so you should not go out and say "hey im enlightened!" and i dont think you should keep it a secret. thats keeping transcendent wisdom away from those that need it. so what do you all think?

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Those who know do not speak of it, those who speak of it do not know it.

Hence the sage conveys his instructions without the use of speech.

TurkeyOnRye

We are enlightened masters to those we teach, and we are students to those masters that teach us. A master may be a human, a flower, a rock or anything that the One manifests. To be enlightened is to be both a teacher and a student, which we all are. One does not exclude the other. Does one proclaim to be enlightened? Only as far as one can say that they are just as equally unenlightened.

Just one perspective...

Last edited:

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
I have always thought of enlightenment as a process and not a point; "yesterday I wasn't enlightened but today I am" is just problematic to me. "I'm more enlightened today than I was yesterday" seems more workable to me at this stage of the game.

I also think about what happens to folk who come to the attention of the mass media for whatever reason, and wonder why anyone who reached the level of understanding we consider to be part of enlightenment could possibly think that such attention could be in any way beneficial. I haven't reached anywhere that I can claim enlightenment myself, but I can't see where someone who had might find it useful to declare him or herself publically.

Last edited: