• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tired of winning yet?

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
A British friend shared this with me from a British copy writer, Nate White, who wrote this response to a Question on Quora,

‘’Why do the Brits dislike Donald Trump?’’ Another perspective on making America great under Trump. Answer:

A few things spring to mind…

Trump lacks certain qualities which the British traditionally esteem. For instance, he has no class, no charm, no coolness, no credibility, no compassion, no wit, no warmth, no wisdom, no subtlety, no sensitivity, no self-awareness, no humility, no honour and no grace – all qualities, funnily enough, with which his predecessor Mr. Obama was generously blessed.

So for us, the stark contrast does rather throw Trump’s limitations into embarrassingly sharp relief.

Plus, we like a laugh. And while Trump may be laughable, he has never once said anything wry, witty or even faintly amusing – not once, ever. I don’t say that rhetorically, I mean it quite literally: not once, not ever. And that fact is particularly disturbing to the British sensibility – for us, to lack humour is almost inhuman.

But with Trump, it’s a fact. He doesn’t even seem to understand what a joke is – his idea of a joke is a crass comment, an illiterate insult, a casual act of cruelty.

Trump is a troll.

And like all trolls, he is never funny and he never laughs; he only crows or jeers. And scarily, he doesn’t just talk in crude, witless insults – he actually thinks in them. His mind is a simple bot-like algorithm of petty prejudices and knee-jerk nastiness. There is never any under-layer of irony, complexity, nuance or depth. It’s all surface. Some Americans might see this as refreshingly upfront.

Well, we don’t. We see it as having no inner world, no soul.

And in Britain we traditionally side with David, not Goliath. All our heroes are plucky underdogs: Robin Hood, Dick Whittington, Oliver Twist. Trump is neither plucky, nor an underdog. He is the exact opposite of that. He’s not even a spoiled rich-boy, or a greedy fat-cat. He’s more a fat white slug. A Jabba the Hutt of privilege.

And worse, he is that most unforgivable of all things to the British: a bully.

That is, except when he is among bullies; then he suddenly transforms into a snivelling sidekick instead. There are unspoken rules to this stuff – the Queensberry rules of basic decency – and he breaks them all. He punches downwards – which a gentleman should, would, could never do – and every blow he aims is below the belt. He particularly likes to kick the vulnerable or voiceless – and he kicks them when they are down. So the fact that a significant minority – perhaps a third – of Americans look at what he does, listen to what he says, and then think ‘Yeah, he seems like my kind of guy’ is a matter of some confusion and no little distress to British people, given that: Americans are supposed to be nicer than us, and mostly are. You don’t need a particularly keen eye for detail to spot a few flaws in the man. This last point is what especially confuses and dismays British people, and many other people too; his faults seem pretty bloody hard to miss. After all, it’s impossible to read a single tweet, or hear him speak a sentence or two, without staring deep into the abyss. He turns being artless into an art form; He is a Picasso of pettiness; a Shakespeare of s*it. His faults are fractal: even his flaws have flaws, and so on ad infinitum.

God knows there have always been stupid people in the world, and plenty of nasty people too. But rarely has stupidity been so nasty, or nastiness so stupid. He makes Nixon look trustworthy and George W look smart. In fact, if Frankenstein decided to make a monster assembled entirely from human flaws – he would make a Trump.

And a remorseful Doctor Frankenstein would clutch out big clumpfuls of hair and scream in anguish: ‘My God… what… have… I… created?’

If being a tw*t was a TV show, Trump would be the boxed set.

Agree? Disagree? Comments about Trump's affect on the world's perception of America world, whether that matters to Americans?

Last edited:

Altfish

Veteran Member
A British friend shared this with me from a British copy writer, Nate White, who wrote this response to a Question on Quora,

‘’Why do the Brits dislike Donald Trump?’’ Another perspective on making America great under Trump. Answer:

Trump lacks certain qualities which the British traditionally esteem. For instance, he has no class, no charm, no coolness, no credibility, no compassion, no wit, no warmth, no wisdom, no subtlety, no sensitivity, no self-awareness, no humility, no honour and no grace – all qualities, funnily enough, with which his predecessor Mr. Obama was generously blessed.

So for us, the stark contrast does rather throw Trump’s limitations into embarrassingly sharp relief.

Plus, we like a laugh. And while Trump may be laughable, he has never once said anything wry, witty or even faintly amusing – not once, ever. I don’t say that rhetorically, I mean it quite literally: not once, not ever. And that fact is particularly disturbing to the British sensibility – for us, to lack humour is almost inhuman.

But with Trump, it’s a fact. He doesn’t even seem to understand what a joke is – his idea of a joke is a crass comment, an illiterate insult, a casual act of cruelty.

Trump is a troll.

And like all trolls, he is never funny and he never laughs; he only crows or jeers. And scarily, he doesn’t just talk in crude, witless insults – he actually thinks in them. His mind is a simple bot-like algorithm of petty prejudices and knee-jerk nastiness. There is never any under-layer of irony, complexity, nuance or depth. It’s all surface. Some Americans might see this as refreshingly upfront.

And in Britain we traditionally side with David, not Goliath. All our heroes are plucky underdogs: Robin Hood, Dick Whittington, Oliver Twist. Trump is neither plucky, nor an underdog. He is the exact opposite of that. He’s not even a spoiled rich-boy, or a greedy fat-cat. He’s more a fat white slug. A Jabba the Hutt of privilege.

That is, except when he is among bullies; then he suddenly transforms into a snivelling sidekick instead. There are unspoken rules to this stuff – the Queensberry rules of basic decency – and he breaks them all. He punches downwards – which a gentleman should, would, could never do – and every blow he aims is below the belt. He particularly likes to kick the vulnerable or voiceless – and he kicks them when they are down. So the fact that a significant minority – perhaps a third – of Americans look at what he does, listen to what he says, and then think ‘Yeah, he seems like my kind of guy’ is a matter of some confusion and no little distress to British people, given that: Americans are supposed to be nicer than us, and mostly are. You don’t need a particularly keen eye for detail to spot a few flaws in the man. This last point is what especially confuses and dismays British people, and many other people too; his faults seem pretty bloody hard to miss. After all, it’s impossible to read a single tweet, or hear him speak a sentence or two, without staring deep into the abyss. He turns being artless into an art form; He is a Picasso of pettiness; a Shakespeare of s*it. His faults are fractal: even his flaws have flaws, and so on ad infinitum.

God knows there have always been stupid people in the world, and plenty of nasty people too. But rarely has stupidity been so nasty, or nastiness so stupid. He makes Nixon look trustworthy and George W look smart. In fact, if Frankenstein decided to make a monster assembled entirely from human flaws – he would make a Trump.

And a remorseful Doctor Frankenstein would clutch out big clumpfuls of hair and scream in anguish: ‘My God… what… have… I… created?’

==========

Agree? Disagree? Comments about Trump's affect on the world's perception of America world, whether that matters to Americans?
Yes, not far off.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Trump is a troll.

I can agree to that
With the addition of sexual predator

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

That's something I had not thought of but it's correct.

Jabba the Hutt of privilege.

:cool::D:rolleyes:

David Holt

Trump is a troll.

I disagree with just one aspect of what he wrote. Trump being a con man for many decades learned how to charm people. In fact many have stated he is often charming in private. Thing is as POTUS charming is not needed as he got what he wanted and is above everything so he does not need to be charming.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
One point that is seldom fully appreciated about Mr. Trump by Americans. He is a catastrophe for American 'influence' abroad, especially the effect he is having on what is called America's "soft power". Perhaps that can translated as "our ability to influence events based not on our military prowess, but on the world's perception of us." Put differently and bluntly, Mr. Trump has dramatically increased the odds that in the future we will need to fight battles and wars to get what before we could get via "soft power".

Imagine a respectable man in a community who suddenly loses everyone's respect. Previously, doors opened for him because of his reputation. Now, because he has lost everyone's respect, those same doors can only be opened by bribes, fists, or credible threats of fists.

That is the position Mr. Trump is placing America in.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
One point that is seldom fully appreciated about Mr. Trump by Americans. He is a catastrophe for American 'influence' abroad, especially the effect he is having on what is called America's "soft power". Perhaps that can translated as "our ability to influence events based not on our military prowess, but on the world's perception of us." Put differently and bluntly, Mr. Trump has dramatically increased the odds that in the future we will need to fight battles and wars to get what before we could get via "soft power".

Imagine a respectable man in a community who suddenly loses everyone's respect. Previously, doors opened for him because of his reputation. Now, because he has lost everyone's respect, those same doors can only be opened by bribes, fists, or credible threats of fists.

Can I plagiarize this for FB? Lol

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
People think, "When Mr. Trump is out of office, things will have a chance of returning to normal". Even many pessimists think, "It will take twenty years, but things will return to normal."

But that's not going to happen. "Normal" is gone. For generations at least, possibly forever. President Lincoln's influence is still with us in many key ways. The influence of both Roosevelts is still with us in many key ways. A hundred years will go by and Mr. Trump's influence on America will still be significant. For instance, some of our key democratic traditions -- traditions that made it harder for tyrants to rise up among us -- are weaker now, and will at best remain weaker. In short, the risk of tyranny is greater now, and will remain greater for generations.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Can I plagiarize this for FB? Lol

Sure! I'd be flattered. No need to even credit me with it. In all modesty, naming your next born child after me is 'credit' enough, for I am a humble man. :D

Seriously, if you want to use it, use it. No credit needed.

joe1776

The Brits need to understand that while the Brits love their eccentrics, we Americans are fond of the totally insane. Trump, with his Narcissistic Personality Disorder, has a 43% approval rating. 43% would vote to reelect him!:eek:

Last edited:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
At best, he is an appallingly bad joke. At worst, he is a danger to global peace.

When Obama came over, there were cheering crowds. When Trump came over there were only protests. Big ones. I say big, but clearly not as big as the 7.9 billion people at the inaugeration. But close.

The first time I saw him on the news (I'd never heard of him) was the occasion when he mocked a person's disability. That told me all I needed to know about him. I try to avoid seeing him on the news because he makes my skin crawl, but if I do, it only ever confirms that first impression I had of him.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
The Donald is one of those leaders everyone points to in order to put into perspective one’s own politicians. As in our leaders might be idiots, but at least they’re not Donald Trump.

I talked with one woman from Iran who compared Trump to Ahmadinejad as someone who is really into conspiracy theories and saying absolutely embarrassing things.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
People think, "When Mr. Trump is out of office, things will have a chance of returning to normal". Even many pessimists think, "It will take twenty years, but things will return to normal."

But that's not going to happen. "Normal" is gone. For generations at least, possibly forever. President Lincoln's influence is still with us in many key ways. The influence of both Roosevelts is still with us in many key ways. A hundred years will go by and Mr. Trump's influence on America will still be significant. For instance, some of our key democratic traditions -- traditions that made it harder for tyrants to rise up among us -- are weaker now, and will at best remain weaker. In short, the risk of tyranny is greater now, and will remain greater for generations.

My concern is that Trump is NOT the problem. He is a symptom. He is reflective of a certain segment of the US population, around 35%, that seems not to care about things like scientific facts, honesty, social conscience, or responsibility. And *that* is something that has been growing for decades. It won't be going away any time soon.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
My concern is that Trump is NOT the problem. He is a symptom. He is reflective of a certain segment of the US population, around 35%, that seems not to care about things like scientific facts, honesty, social conscience, or responsibility. And *that* is something that has been growing for decades. It won't be going away any time soon.

So far as I can see, that is demonstrably true.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

And, unfortunately, that loss of respect may well be deserved. The American people elected this doofus and we should accept the consequences of that action. I somehow doubt that anyone will make the connection in 10 years, though.