• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tips for dealing with cramps?

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I've had absolutely godawful cramps all my life, and they've never gotten any easier to deal with. When I first started getting them in middle school my parents and sometimes teachers told me to get over it and that it was something I'd just have to learn to deal with, and that it couldn't hurt nearly as much as I thought it did... well, after a major back surgery that required me to be on morphine, I can say with great confidence that yes, it did and does hurt. :rolleyes:

So does anyone have any tips for dealing with cramps? They're absolutely terrible for me the first couple of days. The only thing that really seems to help is codeine, which of course isn't OTC here.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
I very rarely have cramp problems. That said when I did develop a perrsistent cramp, my chiropractor told me that it is mainly a function of hydration or lack therof. He recommends not just drinking water, but a very specific pattern. Taking one mouthful of water every 10-15 minutes results in enough water in the bloodstream to hydrate muscles, but not so much as to trip the pituitary switch that starts the kidneys stripping the water back out again. The kidneys can strip water out much faster than the muscles can uptake it, so once the pituitary switch is tripped, the muscles don't get much benefit from water you drink.

I have had a couple potential recurrences of the cramp (left glute/leg) and have found this hydration pattern to work, for me at least. I have always drank significant quantities of water, but had not every controlled the intake rate until this incident. When I feel the onset, I quickly remember to drink slowly and evenly instead of guzzling.

BTW - this pattern is for regular activity, NOT during exercise or exertion; especially not while sweating or outside in the heat. Then you should drink as needed/desired.....this is for at your desk, or watching TV, or general activities.

I don't know if this is helpful, but it's what I have to offer.

Bishka

Veteran Member
It could be something serious, my friend used to have horrible menstrual cramps in which she'd black out and about a year and a half ago they found a cyst the size of a baseball on one of her ovaries and they had to take out one whole side. They said it had been growing her whole life, but she always thought everybody felt that way, so she never said anything.

When I get cramps, I usually put a hot rice bag on it, and it helps greatly, and I try to have my husband massage the area ever so gently.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Sorry, I forgot to be specific: I'm talking specifically about menstrual cramps. :eek:

Bishka

Veteran Member
Sorry, I forgot to be specific: I'm talking specifically about menstrual cramps. :eek:

You might want to get it checked out, like I said, my friend had horrible ones and had no clue that it was a cyst. I hope they stop soon, or you figure out why they are so bad.

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
Try a hot water bottle. I do not have one but I wish I did because I am going through cramps right now myself. I have heard that a hot water bottle is effective. This morning while showering I let some hot water roll over my tummy...oh that felt so good.

Also if someone can put massage oil or baby oil on your tummy and lightly rub in a circular motion.

What helps me also is that when I inhale through my nose I slowly and lightly exhale through my mouth. Whilst exhaling, I try to feel the pain going away.

Try not to eat anything hot and spicy, it will make your cramps worse.

Also, let your sweetheart kiss your tummy. It helps...our cells respond to love.

Try to get your mind off it too, watch a funny movie if you can. Laughter really is a great medicine.

Oh! How can I forget! A foot massage! This always seems to help me. The soles of our feet and our palms have nerve endings that are connected to the different parts of our bodies.

When these are massaged such as in reflexology, the healing benefits are tremendous.

Try to wear loose fitting pants so your tummy is not squished and wear your belt loose as well.

Don’t bend down too much because it squeezes the tummy and makes the pain worse.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Hi Jaymes.

I can relate. Truly, Ibuprofen has always been a life saver when dealing with my menstrual cramps. I've tried the warming patches for your tummy and/or back. They worked!

I've also found that getting a lot of rest during my periods make me feel better. It isn't always possible with my but I notice that I recover better during those first painful days if I nap when I feel tired, eat what my body is telling me I need to eat and get good old Advil or Motrin in my system as soon as I can.

Hugs too. Hugs from someone who loves you can help too!

Hope you feel better!

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Be on the right birth control pills...
Unfortunately most of them have estrogen, which I don't want more of, and the rest don't reliably stop periods... some can even make you period constant, though light. :cover: Until I can get rid of my uterus I'm going to put up with it for once a month.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Often cramps are caused by insufficient minerals. A good mineral complex might help, and that's usually my first recommendation. Minerals will work best if they are taken a few days before you start, so they're already in your system.

My grandmother's home remedy was to take a bit of sugar on the tip of a spoon and put a drop or two of peppermint spirits on it. Then put it in your mouth and let it sit there till it all dissolves.

My chiropractor from years ago taught me a great move the alleviate cramps for several hours, but someone else has to do it to you and I can't explain exactly how it works other than you have to stretch some ligaments in the hips by pressing on the top of the pelvis just so.

But if you want to meet for coffee sometime, give me a holler and I'll show you how. ;)

It does wonders with Eibhlin. My husband used to do it to me before the hysterectomy and it worked for the very severe cramps I had then.

Some of the other suggestions are great too. We used hot water bottles also.

There are also herbal teas like raspberry leaf tea, and they may help also. If you shop at the Farmer's Market they have several varieties available. They're usually labeled "women's tea".

Aqualung

Tasty
Unfortunately most of them have estrogen, which I don't want more of, and the rest don't reliably stop periods... some can even make you period constant, though light. :cover: Until I can get rid of my uterus I'm going to put up with it for once a month.

Maybe there's some sort of univeral equality of cramps wherein everybody gets the same amount of pain compiled over however long they will have that pain. You will be getting rid of your uterus, whereas I will probably won't hit menopause until I'm about a hundred and fifty.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
Hema said:
Also if someone can put massage oil or baby oil on your tummy and lightly rub in a circular motion.[/quote]

This is the best thing that helps me.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
I've had absolutely godawful cramps all my life, and they've never gotten any easier to deal with. When I first started getting them in middle school my parents and sometimes teachers told me to get over it and that it was something I'd just have to learn to deal with, and that it couldn't hurt nearly as much as I thought it did... well, after a major back surgery that required me to be on morphine, I can say with great confidence that yes, it did and does hurt. :rolleyes:

So does anyone have any tips for dealing with cramps? They're absolutely terrible for me the first couple of days. The only thing that really seems to help is codeine, which of course isn't OTC here.
Same thing for me actually... i used to throw up the pain was so terrific. Coedine was the only thing that helped me. Sometimes i get delierious because of them. I keep being told it's something I'll grow out of. We'll have to see.