• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Time for a change

standing_alone

Buttercup said:
Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work all that satisfactorily in practice.

Unfortunately it was never applied all too correctly either.

Buttercup said:
I didn't flunk 5th grade world studies ya know.

Yes, because 5th grade world studies does a great job teaching communism in an objective manner, I'm sure. :rolleyes:

But, back to the OP! :p

Booko

Deviled Hen
ringaling said:
Hi I'm new here,

I would be interested to know how many people here think it's time we banned traditional religions.

I am not proposing that the world become non-spiritual, but when I look at all the different religions, and how so many people have been persecuted, murdered and how many wars have been fought in the name of God, isn't it about time we all started to see that traditional religious teach seperation and differences instead of love and understanding.

I've really tried to get to grips with traditional religions but I am really disheartened by what I see. When visiting churches, people having their own little clicks, *****ing about other people attending the church, resenting anyone who takes their pew; to me it just wants to make me scream.

Sanctimonious preachers who preach discrimination, segragetion and the theory that if you're not this particular type of religion, you're damned to hell.

What's wrong with us, as people? Why can't we see the destruction and chaos we've created with our so called religions. Why can't we be caring, sharing and tolerant of each other?

Should it really matter if someone else is atheist, christian, muslim, hindu, buddhist, etc?

We are so much alike, most of us want to be accepted by others, loved, happy, healthy and feel fulfilled. Is religion the way to find God? or is there another way?

My thoughts here are not meant to offend people, apologies if I do, I just want to find my spiritual home, where ever that may be and to see if others feel the same way.

:rolleyes:
I'm a Baha'i, which if you read up on us should tell you quite a bit about how much I would or would not agree. Here's a link to the Reader's Digest version:

http://www.bahai.us/content/category/9/18/44/

www.bahai.org has more info.

Have you taken that Belief-o-matic quiz whose link was posted here quite recently? That might give you an idea where to start looking for a spiritual home.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
ringaling said:
The worse thing about mankind to me isn't religion, but human ego.

I suppose saying that we should ban religion because you don't happen to like some of it isn't a statement based on your own ego. :sarcastic

Ody

I'm sorry I'm not going to listen to "ringaling" about the future of mankind, same weak arguement as the last 3000 times... :p

ringaling

You know I find your comments:-

Alangurvey
MaddLlama
sojourner
standing_alone
buttercup

hilarious. You're the kind of people that if Jesus did actually appear, you wouldn't believe in him and you'd crucify him all over again.

Whatever man fears or doesn't understand, he kills.

Instead of trying to score points and look clever, how about sharing your ideas and being open to anothers point of view?

Helping others to understand why and what you think about your own personal religion, would go a long way to helping people to understand different perspectives and maybe, just maybe, you could enlighten them to something they haven't thought of before.

I might have a beam in my eye, but some of you sound as though you have beams up your ars*

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
ringaling said:

Alangurvey
MaddLlama
sojourner
standing_alone
buttercup

hilarious. You're the kind of people that if Jesus did actually appear, you wouldn't believe in him and you'd crucify him all over again.

Instead of trying to score points and look clever, how about sharing your ideas and being open to anothers point of view?

Helping others to understand why and what you think about your own personal religion, would go a long way to helping people to understand different perspectives and maybe, just maybe, you could enlighten them to something they haven't thought of before.

I might have a beam in my eye, but some of you sound as though you have beams up your ars*

I'm sorry you found me to be flip -- I was actually being dead-dog serious. The problem isn't religion, it's human sin. Religion (Christianity, at least) relieves human sin -- it doesn't exacerbate it. Don't be so quick to judge.

bunny1ohio

Although I hate to burst anybody's bubble... "banning" ot taking away religion would only give people something else to fight and kill each other over. The religion isn't what causes that... it is human nature.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
ringaling said:

Alangurvey
MaddLlama
sojourner
standing_alone
buttercup

hilarious.

Good. I like it when I'm funny. If you can't laugh at yourself, then you can't laugh at anyone else. So, if I can laugh at myself, then I can laugh at you. =) See, it all works out.

You're the kind of people that if Jesus did actually appear, you wouldn't believe in him and you'd crucify him all over again.

Actually I'm not a fan of capital punishment. Too much of a mess.

Ok, waitjustasecond....in the OP, you said that we should ban "traditional religion" because you think it does harm to society or whatever. And then you say this? You're peeing on your own feet here.

Instead of trying to condemn religion because of your own personal dissatisfaction, why not just live and let live, and not try to suggest that others don't deserve something because you don't like it. Besides, I understand your point of view, I gave it a fair chance by reading your post. But after doing so I decided that I disagree wholeheartedly. And, there's nothing wrong with that. We live in a free society where you can think one way, and I can think another. You put the suggestion out there and opened yourself to criticism. Don't then turn around and cry because nobody agreed with you.
Besides, did you really think that everyone was going to call you a hero for suggestion the banning of religion on a forum called "religious forums"? Highly illogical captian.

Actually, most of the arguments presented to yours were presenting thier own opinions on why your idea wouldn't work. Nobody needs to tell you how wonderful thier religion is in order to refute the idea that religion shouldn't exist.
If you really wanted to know what others think about thier religion you first of all shouldn't have started a thread that was antagonistic, and gone and read some of the posts in the forums for various religions. Suggesting that we ban certain perspectives doesn't go a very long way in helping people understand them.

It's quite possible that I do. Would you like to come reach up and pull it out for me? =)

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
Ban "traditional" religions. That means religions that worship God, I suppose. I believe that people everywhere should be allowed to practice whatever religion they want to. If they're hurting other people, then of course they should be punished. But ban the whole religion? That's crazy.

And even if Christianity was banned, I know for certain that someone will still practice it. Because the only way you could stop this Christian from worshipping God is to kill her. And I'm 99.5% sure that over half of my church members would feel the same way. So I'd like to see someone try to ban Christianty. To stop it, there will have to be a massive genocide.

finalfrogo

ringaling said:
Hi I'm new here,

I would be interested to know how many people here think it's time we banned traditional religions.

I am not proposing that the world become non-spiritual, but when I look at all the different religions, and how so many people have been persecuted, murdered and how many wars have been fought in the name of God, isn't it about time we all started to see that traditional religious teach seperation and differences instead of love and understanding.

I've really tried to get to grips with traditional religions but I am really disheartened by what I see. When visiting churches, people having their own little clicks, *****ing about other people attending the church, resenting anyone who takes their pew; to me it just wants to make me scream.

Sanctimonious preachers who preach discrimination, segragetion and the theory that if you're not this particular type of religion, you're damned to hell.

What's wrong with us, as people? Why can't we see the destruction and chaos we've created with our so called religions. Why can't we be caring, sharing and tolerant of each other?

Should it really matter if someone else is atheist, christian, muslim, hindu, buddhist, etc?

We are so much alike, most of us want to be accepted by others, loved, happy, healthy and feel fulfilled. Is religion the way to find God? or is there another way?

My thoughts here are not meant to offend people, apologies if I do, I just want to find my spiritual home, where ever that may be and to see if others feel the same way.

Religion doesn't cause chaos. Religion is an excuse for chaos. If religion didn't existed, humans would find different excuses for chaos: ethnicity, skin color, gender.

Kavi

finalfrogo said:
Religion doesn't cause chaos. Religion is an excuse for chaos. If religion didn't existed, humans would find different excuses for chaos: ethnicity, skin color, gender.
I couldn't have said it any better myself; that's the truth.:clap

Unfortunately, that is. :sad4:

may

ringaling said:
Hi I'm new here,

I can see where you are coming from, but did you know that the bible tells us that Jehovah God is going to get rid of false religion. that is why at revelation 18;4-5 it tells his people to get out of false religion,
And I heard another voice out of heaven say: "Get out of her, my people, if YOU do not want to share with her in her sins, and if YOU do not want to receive part of her plagues. For her sins have massed together clear up to heaven, and God has called her acts of injustice to mind.
why should Gods people get out of her ?because she is going to be destroyed by God , and Jehovah God can use whom ever he wants to do that .
And a strong angel lifted up a stone like a great millstone and hurled it into the sea, saying: "Thus with a swift pitch will Babylon the great city be hurled down, and she will never be found again. the book of revelation is a highly symbolic book, full of symbolism, and ...........The world empire of false religion ............is depicted as a harlot woman , and she is very very unfaithful to Jehovah God and full of bad things

ringaling

Reply for Jensa,

I have no wish to persecute people by banning religion per se, it was a question I've wondered about and was interested to hear other peoples thoughts, to perhaps help understand what religion really is and why it might be important in our lives.

Over the years I've come to realise that man's greed and wish for power and authority is our downfall. What I strongly object to, are those people who use religion as a means to this end.

What worries me, is that the majority of our youngsters are being taught to fill their lives with material things, instant gratification; instead of finding fulfillment in spiritual ways. Do we perhaps need to find another way of introducing spiritual practices to the younger generations?

Is christianity (I'm not sure about other religions) perhaps out of date with the modern world, seeing that their worlds are based on ancient teachings?

Mike182

Flaming Queer
ringaling said:

Alangurvey
MaddLlama
sojourner
standing_alone
buttercup

with all due respect, the people you named have a very.... interesting.... sense of humor, you really need to know them to understand them.
and that brings you to, what? there level? nice move :sarcastic

no, i do not think you can remove people's right to follow any religion, firstly because the religion itself has done no harm or good, a religion is a neutral concept/notion, it is that religions followers who are to thank/blame for what ever has happend/is happening.

moreover, you would have no way of stopping people from practising, unless you would also install some form of secret police - but i would personally view such a situation as being worse than the current situation.

just my oppinion, take it as you will, but i'm content because your idea will never be implemented in todays world, :shrug:

Opethian

Don't ban religions!
That would mean I would have a whole less left to be annoyed with and topics to debate about. People need things to be annoyed with!
If you really want to do something about the current damage being done by parts of religion, go learn how to hack and bring down all those creation science websites throughout the web that are misleading the ignorant youth.