• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thread of Evidence for the bibles historicity

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I had to do this because it would be a crime not to highlight the many archeological discoveries which give solid evidence for the bibles many accounts of history.

Is the history of the bible reliable? Is it factual? Does the Archeological record back up the bible record, or does it prove the bible record is just a story of myths and inaccuracies?

Here is a list of discoveries their biblical counterpart:

According to the book of Daniel, the last ruler in Babylon before it fell to the Persians was named Belshazzar. (Daniel 5:1-30)
There was no mention of Belshazzar outside the Bible, hence most bible critics and scholars claimed he was a fictional character.
But during the 19th*century, several small cylinders inscribed in cuneiform were discovered in some ruins in southern Iraq. They were found to include a prayer for the health of the eldest son of Nabonidus, king of Babylon. The name of this son? Belshazzar. Not only that, but they eventually unearthed his palace as well!

the Bible reports that after King Solomon had taken over the kingship from his father, David, Israel enjoyed great prosperity. We read: “Judah and Israel were many, like the grains of sand that are by the sea for multitude, eating and drinking and rejoicing.” (1*Kings 4:20) In support of this statement archaeology has revealed a population explosion in Judah during and after the tenth century B.C. when the peace and prosperity David brought made it possible to build many new towns.

2Kings 3:4-27 records the events of Israel splitting into two tribes and the war with Moab.
In 1868 in Jordan, a stela (a carved stone slab) was discovered that was inscribed in the Moabite language with King Mesha’s own account of this conflict. This moabite stone also mentions numerous places referred to in the Bible: Ataroth and Nebo (Nu 32:34,*38); the Arnon, Aroer, Medeba, and Dibon (Jos 13:9); Bamoth-baal, Beth-baal-meon, Jahaz, and Kiriathaim (Jos 13:17-19); Bezer (Jos 20:8); Horonaim (Isa 15:5); Beth-diblathaim and Kerioth. (Jer 48:22,*24) Its shows all these were historical places.

In 740*B.C.E.the kingdom of Israel was destroyed by the Assyrians as recorded in 2*Kings 17:6-18. The archaeological evidence of the fall of the kingdom of Israel shows the complete obliteration of the Israelite towns of Samaria and Hazor and the accompanying destruction of Megiddo.

The bible records Jerusalems defeat by the Babylonians under King Jehoiachin at 2*Kings 24:8-15; 25:27-30.
Archeologists found a babylonian cuniform of this same event and the imprisonment of its king. Look up the 'Babylonian Chronicle' which reads: “The king of Akkad [Babylon] .*.*. laid siege to the city of Judah (iahudu) and the king took the city on the second day of the month of Addaru.”
Administrative documents found in Babylon, lists the rations given to “Yaukîn, king of Judah”

Archaeologists digging in Jerusalem’s ancient City of David have discovered a 2,600-year-old clay seal impression, or bulla, bearing the name of “Gedaliah the son of Pashhur.” Gedaliah is spoken of in the Bible at Jeremiah 38:1

The Bible informs us that Abraham (then called Abram) was raised in “Ur of the Chaldeans.” (Gen. 11:27, 28) It wasnt until 1854, that this ancient city was found. Yet it was written down in the bible over 3,000 years ago.

The bible speaks of many ancient customs. Archaeologists have confirmed many of these customs such as the one mentioned at Gen 15:1-4 where a slave becomes the heir if the family has no children, or a wife being obliged to provide a concubine if she is barren, or business being conducted at the city gate before onlookers. They have found clay tablets in an ancient Hurrian city southeast of Nineveh describing all these particular customs.

There is also the confirmation of names of biblical people. The royal city of Mari has the ruins of the huge palace where over 20,000 clay tablets were found. Some of these cuneiform tablets mention cities by the name of Peleg, Serug, Nahor, Terah and Haran. All these names occur in the Genesis account as names of Abraham’s relatives.—Gen. 11:17-26

In 1976, the ancient city-state of Ebla was found. The royal palace, contained thousands of clay tablets the late third or early second millennium bce. The Ebla tablets name ‘Ab-ra-um;’ Esau—E-sa-um; Michael—Mi-ki-ilu; David—Da-u-dum; Ishmael—Ish-ma-ilum; Israel—Ish-ra-ilu. They also contain the names of Sodom and Gomorrah, the cities mentioned in the Bible, but whose historicity was long challenged by scholars. .*.*. But even more remarkable is the fact that these tablets list the cities in exactly the same order in which they are mentioned in the Old Testament: Sodom, Gomorrah, Admah, Zeboiim and Bela - Gen. 14:2

In 1843 the palace of Assyrian King Sargon II was discovered, this previously unknown king is mentioned at Isaiah 20:1.

The book of Esther record events from the city of Shushan. The palace of Xerxes was uncovered and the bibles description of the city and palace is spot on. The writer of Esther also reveals accurate information about the administration of the Persian kingdom and the construction of the palace.

There is so much more to be said about the archeological record and the accuracy of the bible, im merely scratching the surface here, but for anyone to believe that the bible is not a historically accurate document needs to rethink their position... are they merely speaking from bias or are they prepared to accept the facts?

Last edited:

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I doubt that many folks will believe that all the bible is fable.
But, equally, the proved accounts cannot also prove the doubted accounts.

Let me show you......

OldBadger was a commercial Detective, and made over 30 security and detection training films during two decades and has many teaching qualifications. He was also the chairman of the British High Altitude Balloonist's appreciation society.

....so, if I send 'scans' of my qualification certificates, and a sample of films with my beautiful features shown, will you believe my claim of chairmanship of the BHAB and it's existence? :)

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I doubt that many folks will believe that all the bible is fable.
But, equally, the proved accounts cannot also prove the doubted accounts.

Let me show you......

OldBadger was a commercial Detective, and made over 30 security and detection training films during two decades and has many teaching qualifications. He was also the chairman of the British High Altitude Balloonist's appreciation society.

....so, if I send 'scans' of my qualification certificates, and a sample of films with my beautiful features shown, will you believe my claim of chairmanship of the BHAB and it's existence? :)

If I knew you to be a truthful person, if I knew that you had the right motives and that you held to high standards, then it would be unreasonable of me to doubt your claim just because I had not seen your certificate of chairmanship.

And on the other hand, a false claim to chairmanship might make me question the truthfulness of all your works... iow, if you'd lie about a small thing, then you'd definitely lie about a big thing and so i wouldnt put a lot of weight on anything you said.

the reverse is also true... if you were truthful in small things, then you'd be truth in big things as well.

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
I had to do this because it would be a crime not to highlight the many archeological discoveries which give solid evidence for the bibles many accounts of history.

Is the history of the bible reliable? Is it factual? Does the Archeological record back up the bible record, or does it prove the bible record is just a story of myths and inaccuracies?

Here is a list of discoveries their biblical counterpart:

According to the book of Daniel, the last ruler in Babylon before it fell to the Persians was named Belshazzar. (Daniel 5:1-30)
There was no mention of Belshazzar outside the Bible, hence most bible critics and scholars claimed he was a fictional character.
But during the 19th*century, several small cylinders inscribed in cuneiform were discovered in some ruins in southern Iraq. They were found to include a prayer for the health of the eldest son of Nabonidus, king of Babylon. The name of this son? Belshazzar. Not only that, but they eventually unearthed his palace as well!

the Bible reports that after King Solomon had taken over the kingship from his father, David, Israel enjoyed great prosperity. We read: “Judah and Israel were many, like the grains of sand that are by the sea for multitude, eating and drinking and rejoicing.” (1*Kings 4:20) In support of this statement archaeology has revealed a population explosion in Judah during and after the tenth century B.C. when the peace and prosperity David brought made it possible to build many new towns.

2Kings 3:4-27 records the events of Israel splitting into two tribes and the war with Moab.
In 1868 in Jordan, a stela (a carved stone slab) was discovered that was inscribed in the Moabite language with King Mesha’s own account of this conflict. This moabite stone also mentions numerous places referred to in the Bible: Ataroth and Nebo (Nu 32:34,*38); the Arnon, Aroer, Medeba, and Dibon (Jos 13:9); Bamoth-baal, Beth-baal-meon, Jahaz, and Kiriathaim (Jos 13:17-19); Bezer (Jos 20:8); Horonaim (Isa 15:5); Beth-diblathaim and Kerioth. (Jer 48:22,*24) Its shows all these were historical places.

In 740*B.C.E.the kingdom of Israel was destroyed by the Assyrians as recorded in 2*Kings 17:6-18. The archaeological evidence of the fall of the kingdom of Israel shows the complete obliteration of the Israelite towns of Samaria and Hazor and the accompanying destruction of Megiddo.

The bible records Jerusalems defeat by the Babylonians under King Jehoiachin at 2*Kings 24:8-15; 25:27-30.
Archeologists found a babylonian cuniform of this same event and the imprisonment of its king. Look up the 'Babylonian Chronicle' which reads: “The king of Akkad [Babylon] .*.*. laid siege to the city of Judah (iahudu) and the king took the city on the second day of the month of Addaru.”
Administrative documents found in Babylon, lists the rations given to “Yaukîn, king of Judah”

Archaeologists digging in Jerusalem’s ancient City of David have discovered a 2,600-year-old clay seal impression, or bulla, bearing the name of “Gedaliah the son of Pashhur.” Gedaliah is spoken of in the Bible at Jeremiah 38:1

The Bible informs us that Abraham (then called Abram) was raised in “Ur of the Chaldeans.” (Gen. 11:27, 28) It wasnt until 1854, that this ancient city was found. Yet it was written down in the bible over 3,000 years ago.

The bible speaks of many ancient customs. Archaeologists have confirmed many of these customs such as the one mentioned at Gen 15:1-4 where a slave becomes the heir if the family has no children, or a wife being obliged to provide a concubine if she is barren, or business being conducted at the city gate before onlookers. They have found clay tablets in an ancient Hurrian city southeast of Nineveh describing all these particular customs.

There is also the confirmation of names of biblical people. The royal city of Mari has the ruins of the huge palace where over 20,000 clay tablets were found. Some of these cuneiform tablets mention cities by the name of Peleg, Serug, Nahor, Terah and Haran. All these names occur in the Genesis account as names of Abraham’s relatives.—Gen. 11:17-26

In 1976, the ancient city-state of Ebla was found. The royal palace, contained thousands of clay tablets the late third or early second millennium bce. The Ebla tablets name ‘Ab-ra-um;’ Esau—E-sa-um; Michael—Mi-ki-ilu; David—Da-u-dum; Ishmael—Ish-ma-ilum; Israel—Ish-ra-ilu. They also contain the names of Sodom and Gomorrah, the cities mentioned in the Bible, but whose historicity was long challenged by scholars. .*.*. But even more remarkable is the fact that these tablets list the cities in exactly the same order in which they are mentioned in the Old Testament: Sodom, Gomorrah, Admah, Zeboiim and Bela - Gen. 14:2

In 1843 the palace of Assyrian King Sargon II was discovered, this previously unknown king is mentioned at Isaiah 20:1.

The book of Esther record events from the city of Shushan. The palace of Xerxes was uncovered and the bibles description of the city and palace is spot on. The writer of Esther also reveals accurate information about the administration of the Persian kingdom and the construction of the palace.

There is so much more to be said about the archeological record and the accuracy of the bible, im merely scratching the surface here, but for anyone to believe that the bible is not a historically accurate document needs to rethink their position... are they merely speaking from bias or are they prepared to accept the facts?
I researched and found out that everytime after Rome persecuted the Christians, the empire destabilized. The one time Vespatian released Christians from prison as policy, Rome experienced a long time of peace called Pax Romana.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I researched and found out that everytime after Rome persecuted the Christians, the empire destabilized. The one time Vespatian released Christians from prison as policy, Rome experienced a long time of peace called Pax Romana.

Thats interesting.

It shows that the teachings of christianity can be a force for good when people are practising it.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member

Actually, the period referred to as Pax Romana began in the reign of Augustus Caesar long before Vespasian became emperor:

wiki said:
Pax Romana (Latin for "Roman peace") was the long period of relative peace and minimal expansion by military force experienced by the Roman Empire in the 1st and 2nd centuries AD. Since it was established by Augustus, it is sometimes called Pax Augusta. Its span was approximately 206 years (27 BC to 180 AD).[1]

Pax Romana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Vespasian ascended the throne in AD 69: Vespasian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And if you have access to any verification that "Vespatian released Christians from prison as policy", it would be interesting to see that.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
From what I've studied, the bible has much that is historically factual, even though there are some things that are questionable. But what does this prove? There are many books that are historically factual, but this really means nothing. Showing that the bible has historical facts means only that the bible contains only historical facts.

greentwiga

From what I've studied, the bible has much that is historically factual, even though there are some things that are questionable. But what does this prove? There are many books that are historically factual, but this really means nothing. Showing that the bible has historical facts means only that the bible contains only historical facts.

For some people, that is important. Even with the factual points, one still can'r prove that Adam, Noah, Abraham, or Moses lived. We have only recently found a reference to the house of David, indicating he was real.

Still, the vastly more important point is that the Bible teaches us how to be spiritual, and that God works in us the way the Bible says. God gives us the power to overcome our own body's selfish desires to live selflessly loving others. That is the true greatness of the Bible. It is discussed in other threads, and this thread is about the historical facts.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

Yes, and thats what I was getting at.

Some claim that it has absolutely no historical truth to it. If they knew anything about the bible they would know that the claim is 100% false.

outhouse

Atheistically

Some claim that it has absolutely no historical truth to it. If they knew anything about the bible they would know that the claim is 100% false.

Do you think anyone listens to people who make what seems as outlandish claims?

Or are they simply viewed as outlandish claims? '

The question then is, do you think the bible is a accurate history book?

freethinker44

There is a difference between being a history book and book with history in it, the Bible is a historical book, not a book of history. Also, the inclusion of historically correct events or places has nothing to do with whether or not is fictional. For example, Huckleberry Finn is historically accurate, the Mississippi River does indeed exist, yet that doesn't make it less of a fairytale.

I've actually never met anyone who claimed the bible has no historical truth. I've only ever heard that when a Christian brings it up in an attempt to refute some unrelated argument. In fact, I'm convinced this argument is created by Christians for Christians to make it seem as if they are making some kind of headway towards proving their religion is true.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Well, there is no evidence at present confirming Belshazzers's regency, and his palace, allegedly discovered and unearthed, is just plain made up.
No university record of such an archaeological evacuation exists nor has been acknowledged.

The population doubled in the hill country of Judea establishing a strong central point, possibly Jerusalem which Imo illuminates the reason for the growth in that area.

The Mesha Stele although a remarkable discovery is a religious artifact in it's own right through King Mesha's inclusion of Kemosh, a Moab god as an active account within it's inscription.

Just to address a few.

The Bible does contain some historical references of some events and names which people tend to jump to credibility of it's substance overall. The issue remains of the Bible being a redacted work with enough referencing to attribute some historical accuracy as far as some names and places go, but falls short of actual litgitemcy as a source of evidence of major events and such.

The Bible, while an inspirational work, is just simply not a history book.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Do you think anyone listens to people who make what seems as outlandish claims?

Or are they simply viewed as outlandish claims? '

The question then is, do you think the bible is a accurate history book?

Oh wow.

Why dont you let the archaeological record answer that question for you.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
the reverse is also true... if you were truthful in small things, then you'd be truth in big things as well.

Hi Pegg....

Oh no...... the above is dangerous.
Have you ever heard of the 'Truth Pill'?
Tell a person a fact that they know for certain is true.
Then tell them the 'thing' that you need them to believe. :)

.......the 'thing' does not have to be a lie, salesmen can use this technique to convince prospects about some feature or benefit that the prospect knows nothing about.

...... but then deceivers, cheats and liars can use it as well....

Each claim needs to be verifiable if you want to detect both truths and lies.

That bit about the Ballonists' society...... a dreadful naughty fib....,.. :)

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Hi Pegg....

Oh no...... the above is dangerous.
Have you ever heard of the 'Truth Pill'?
Tell a person a fact that they know for certain is true.
Then tell them the 'thing' that you need them to believe. :)

.......the 'thing' does not have to be a lie, salesmen can use this technique to convince prospects about some feature or benefit that the prospect knows nothing about.

...... but then deceivers, cheats and liars can use it as well....

Each claim needs to be verifiable if you want to detect both truths and lies.

That bit about the Ballonists' society...... a dreadful naughty fib....,.. :)

thankyou for the word of advice,

i'll be sure to avoid the ballonist society at all costs ;)

Enai de a lukal

Yeah, as others have noted, I'm not sure that anyone in their right mind ever makes such a claim. Clearly the Bible has alot of historical truth in it- there are many real historical figures, geographical locations, and so on; I don't think anyone honestly disputes that. The pertinent question here is whether the more controversial, and crucial to Christian doctrine, passages are historically accurate- the passages which describe the circumstances of Christ's birth, of his death, of various things he did during his ministry. And in this respect, there is virtually no reason whatsoever to think that the Bible is accurate.

Freethinker44 basically hit the nail on the head; in many ways, the Bible is like a book or movie that, while fictional, is "based on a true story"- it is loosely based around real events, real people, and real locations, but with, in all likelihood, a great deal of artistic license. And there is, of course, the (unfounded) assumption the the Bible is written primarily in a "that's the way it actually happened" manner- that its purpose is to record literally true accounts of anything, and that it is not frequently intended to be understood poetically or metaphorically. Once this is taken into account, questions of the Bible's historicity become slightly deflated.