• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thoughts on the "No atheists in foxholes" argument

Good-Ole-Rebel

Hmmm....is there any truth, prescription, or proscription in the Bible which bothers you?
Either because it's scientifically loopy or it seems the wrong thing to do?

No. There is not. I am still learning the truths set forth in the Bible.

No, science plays no role in my understanding of the Bible. Neither do men's morals play a role in my understanding of the Bible.

Good-Ole-Rebel

MikeDwight

There's Strict Regulation around here Rebel, in the Status Quo peace theory subordinate political theory confederacy, which will die of a theory, said Jefferson Davis.

Lesson 1

See I am just a beggar, that man in the cowboy hat. Looking up upon, that blue-light elder, Stonewall Jackson, on the right Way and Path, of that Scotland Bonnie Blue Flag.
th

Good-Ole-Rebel

Well, I guess that explains the flag and the avatar name. You believe it's OK to own and beat slaves.

I guess that also means that you are OK with taking captured young girls and doing with them whatever you want to do with them since that's also in the bible.

And then there is...
Leviticus 20:13, states in no uncertain terms that homosexuals should be killed:

“If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.”
You must be so proud.

You're just another ignorant of the Confederate flag. Get in line...a long line.

Slavery is Biblical. As to queers in (Lev. 20;13), I would have no problem with it. We are no longer under the Old Testament Law. But if any nation decided to enforce it, I would have no problem with it.

I don't know if 'proud' is the correct adjective. But indeed, I have no problem with the law of God in effect no matter what that law may be.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Good-Ole-Rebel

"All the Kings horses and all the kings men...".

All the theistic Biblical archeologists, Christian, Jew and otherwise have looked for Centuries for any evidence that Moses actually existed. They have found nothing.

"couldn't put Humpty together again."

Your myths have been busted so many times on so many levels.

Then why say the writers of the Bible is just a bunch of 'goathearders'?

Good-Ole-Rebel

MikeDwight

Why talk about slavery? Written in the 10 commandments, in your Bible, is do not covet a servant? Did these Northerners not like 10 commandments and choose to have a Pope's authority? They don't have inns in Britain either. You'd have to go to these creepy estates and deal with butlers that take their jobs way too seriously, at least according to American tourist stars in the 70's, from American celebrities. And all the other weird Britain things. They already got most Downton Abbeys online, is cool.

Good-Ole-Rebel

There's Strict Regulation around here Rebel, in the Status Quo peace theory subordinate political theory confederacy, which will die of a theory, said Jefferson Davis.

See I am just a beggar, that man in the cowboy hat. Looking up upon, that blue-light elder, Stonewall Jackson, on the right Way and Path, of that Scotland Bonnie Blue Flag.

Naw...your just an idiot.

Good-Ole-Rebel

MikeDwight

Well OK then, that's just the sovereign , and handsy, character of Alabama talking, who seceded only in inviting all states to a new confederacy not rebellion, where Jefferson Davis was made a President, where they convened in the Capitol to write a Bonnie Blue Flag, and to make a Constitution dedicated to a Presbyterian God of the Fathers of our Nation from the First Thanksgiving. hurrah hurrah.

ecco

Veteran Member
You're just another ignorant of the Confederate flag. Get in line...a long line.

Slavery is Biblical. As to queers in (Lev. 20;13), I would have no problem with it. We are no longer under the Old Testament Law. But if any nation decided to enforce it, I would have no problem with it.

I don't know if 'proud' is the correct adjective. But indeed, I have no problem with the law of God in effect no matter what that law may be.

Good-Ole-Rebel
As I said...
Well, I guess that explains the flag and the avatar name. You believe it's OK to own and beat slaves.

I guess that also means that you are OK with taking captured young girls and doing with them whatever you want to do with them since that's also in the bible.​

amorphous_constellation

If anything, I would think that people are less rational and more driven toward erroneous and superstitious beliefs when their lives are in danger. Thus, if anything, I would say that the "no atheists in foxholes" argument is a better argument against the existence of God then for it, because people in immediate danger are obviously not going to be thinking as carefully about evidence as people who are in an environment where they have time to rationally and calmly consider arguments for and against the existence of God.

Yes it's irrational or not well thought out faith, good answer to that argument. Superstition has probably been a historical bedfellow of danger. Therefore I don't think I like the foxholes saying, it's much better to argue for a position using one's ideas.

Last edited:

Good-Ole-Rebel

As I said...

I guess that also means that you are OK with taking captured young girls and doing with them whatever you want to do with them since that's also in the bible.​

Yes, you already said that. As to the flag, you don't know anything about it. As to slaves being beat, I'm sure there were some as I'm sure there were some that caused trouble. As to the wrong in the beatings, I'm sure there were some bad slave owners just like there are some bad employers today who mistreat their employees.

As to the young girls, go ahead and give me the verses you have in mind.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Good-Ole-Rebel

Because that's what they were.

OK. Well we are back to my original question in post #(151). You want to say, or agree, that the writers of the Bible were just a bunch of goat herders and the Bible was edited many times.

Fine, show me who they were. You reject the writers being who the Bible says they are, when the Bible does. But you offer nothing to show me who the supposed goat herders were and who the editors were.

You say there is no proof of Moses being a writer. But there is more proof of Moses, then your so called goat herders. At least the Bible does present some proper names instead of just a general statement such as goat herders.

Good-Ole-Rebel

ecco

Veteran Member
Yes, you already said that. As to the flag, you don't know anything about it.
The most important thing to know about the Confederate Flag(s) is that they stood for a period of time in history that no rational person should be proud of.

As to slaves being beat, I'm sure there were some as I'm sure there were some that caused trouble.
Yeah, caused trouble by objecting to being raped by the Massas. Caused trouble by passing out in the cotton fields. Caused trouble by anything the bosses didn't like. People with your mindset are disgusting.

As to the young girls, go ahead and give me the verses you have in mind.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Are you asking because you think there aren't any?

ecco

Veteran Member
OK. Well we are back to my original question in post #(151). You want to say, or agree, that the writers of the Bible were just a bunch of goat herders and the Bible was edited many times.

Fine, show me who they were. You reject the writers being who the Bible says they are, when the Bible does. But you offer nothing to show me who the supposed goat herders were and who the editors were.

Well, I went back to your post #151. I saw that you were responding to someone else. I did not use the term goat herders or goatherds. Certainly, in terms of the NT I would not use that term.

Nevertheless, there is absolutely no evidence that four people named Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John wrote the Gospels. That's not just my opinion, that's the opinion of Biblical Scholars who tried really hard to find who really wrote the Gospels. They came up emptyhanded.

As to editors, we need look no further than the fact that there are at least 23 different versions listed on just BibleHub.com. Additionally...

King James Version - Wikipedia
The King James Version (KJV), also known as the King James Bible (KJB) or simply the Authorized Version (AV), is an English translation of the Christian Bible for the Church of England, begun in 1604 and completed as well as published in 1611 under the sponsorship of James VI and I.[a] The books of the King James Version include the 39 books of the Old Testament, an intertestamental section containing 14 books of the Apocrypha, and the 27 books of the New Testament. Noted for its "majesty of style", the King James Version has been described as one of the most important books in English culture and a driving force in the shaping of the English-speaking world.[2][3]

It was first printed by John Norton & Robert Barker, both the King's Printer, and was the third translation into English approved by the English Church authorities: The first had been the Great Bible, commissioned in the reign of King Henry VIII (1535), and the second had been the Bishops' Bible, commissioned in the reign of Queen Elizabeth I (1568).[4] In Geneva, Switzerland the first generation of Protestant Reformers had produced the Geneva Bible of 1560[5] from the original Hebrew and Greek scriptures, which was influential in the writing of the Authorized King James Version.
If you need one easy to remember name of someone who fiddled with the content: Martin Luther.

Are you really so ignorant of the history of your sacred book that you need explanations from an atheist? But, don't take my word for it, talk to your local preacher.

You say there is no proof of Moses being a writer. But there is more proof of Moses, then your so called goat herders. At least the Bible does present some proper names instead of just a general statement such as goat herders.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Again, not my goatherders. Please show one bit of evidence for the existence of Moses.

Good-Ole-Rebel

The most important thing to know about the Confederate Flag(s) is that they stood for a period of time in history that no rational person should be proud of.

Yeah, caused trouble by objecting to being raped by the Massas. Caused trouble by passing out in the cotton fields. Caused trouble by anything the bosses didn't like. People with your mindset are disgusting.

Yet you can produce nothing to that claim.

Actually , people of your mindset is disgusting.

Produce them. That is why I asked.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Good-Ole-Rebel

Why?

People are raped today in their employment, and have been for years. Such a good system the yankees provided instead of slavery.

I'm asking because I want you to give me the verses. Pretty simple.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Good-Ole-Rebel

Well, I went back to your post #151. I saw that you were responding to someone else. I did not use the term goat herders or goatherds. Certainly, in terms of the NT I would not use that term.

Nevertheless, there is absolutely no evidence that four people named Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John wrote the Gospels. That's not just my opinion, that's the opinion of Biblical Scholars who tried really hard to find who really wrote the Gospels. They came up emptyhanded.

As to editors, we need look no further than the fact that there are at least 23 different versions listed on just BibleHub.com. Additionally...

King James Version - Wikipedia
The King James Version (KJV), also known as the King James Bible (KJB) or simply the Authorized Version (AV), is an English translation of the Christian Bible for the Church of England, begun in 1604 and completed as well as published in 1611 under the sponsorship of James VI and I.[a] The books of the King James Version include the 39 books of the Old Testament, an intertestamental section containing 14 books of the Apocrypha, and the 27 books of the New Testament. Noted for its "majesty of style", the King James Version has been described as one of the most important books in English culture and a driving force in the shaping of the English-speaking world.[2][3]

It was first printed by John Norton & Robert Barker, both the King's Printer, and was the third translation into English approved by the English Church authorities: The first had been the Great Bible, commissioned in the reign of King Henry VIII (1535), and the second had been the Bishops' Bible, commissioned in the reign of Queen Elizabeth I (1568).[4] In Geneva, Switzerland the first generation of Protestant Reformers had produced the Geneva Bible of 1560[5] from the original Hebrew and Greek scriptures, which was influential in the writing of the Authorized King James Version.
If you need one easy to remember name of someone who fiddled with the content: Martin Luther.

Are you really so ignorant of the history of your sacred book that you need explanations from an atheist? But, don't take my word for it, talk to your local preacher.

Again, not my goatherders. Please show one bit of evidence for the existence of Moses.

The Bible claims that the Pentateuch was writtnen by Moses. What does your goat herders say? Show me.

You say, "I did not use the term goat herders or goatherds." Post # (176) But your comment in post # (170) says differently.

Now what?

Good-Ole-Rebel