• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thoughts on Genesis P Orridge quote?

Knowledge Gourmet

gourmet of knowledge
(On magick)

"It's a very selfish idea in one sense, because the whole point is that you're trying to make the world how you want it, so that you get the maximum pleasure!"

What do you all think about this quote? Do you agree with it?

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
(On magick)

"It's a very selfish idea in one sense, because the whole point is that you're trying to make the world how you want it, so that you get the maximum pleasure!"

In a sense the author is correct. The problem is if an entity seeks to reshape the world or universe in accordance with their own will alone they are forced to become a new measure of consistency, they would cease to be One for they should become All. I as a Black Magician have no desire to become All, I do not wish to become the new universal stasis, I instead seek to become the absolute manifestation of my own One unique Self. This is one of the reasons why I am glad that there are other Magicians in the world working their own magics upon the Cosmic Law in their own individual and unique ways. :D

Xeper.
/Adramelek\

Last edited:

Knowledge Gourmet

gourmet of knowledge
In a sense the author is correct. The problem is if an entity seeks to reshape the world or universe in accordance with their own will alone they are forced to become a new measure of consistency, they would cease to be One for they should become All. I as a Black Magician have no desire to become All, I do not wish to become the new universal stasis, I instead seek to become the absolute manifestation of my own One unique Self. This is one of the reasons why I am glad that there are other Magicians in the world working their own magics upon the Cosmic Law in their own individual and unique ways. :D

Xeper.
/Adramelek\

"The problem is if an entity seeks to reshape the world or universe in accordance with their own will alone they are forced to become a new measure of consistency
, they would cease to be One for they should become All."

Will you please explain this statement?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member

"The problem is if an entity seeks to reshape the world or universe in accordance with their own will alone they are forced to become a new measure of consistency
, they would cease to be One for they should become All."

A Buddhist would say you are feeding the fire, instead of putting it out.

A Taoist would say you are dealing with the "outer fringe" of the Tao instead of the "essence."

You are developing the objective instead of the subjective, imo.
You are becoming an authority instead of being liberated.

{I speak eastern better than I speak western, so if I have this wrong according to the western view, please correct me.}

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
"The problem is if an entity seeks to reshape the world or universe in accordance with their own will alone they are forced to become a new measure of consistency, they would cease to be One for they should become All."

If one lone entity were to re-create the universe he would alone be responsible for that new universe, he would become the new natural order, the new law of the cosmos, in essence, he would become the new God - creator of All. He would cease to be One, a unique, singular identity, individual force of mind and will within the Universe, he would be the Universe, he would be All. I personally do not seek to become God. Again, I say I'd rather become the absolute manifestation, the creator and master of my own singular Self. Herein lies the misconception that many have about LHP Magicians wanting to Be like God. Sure we may seek to be the god or master of our own lives, and creator of our own creations, and the god of our own Self, but I for one do not seek to become "God" of the entire Universe. Why would I want to become the very antithesis of everything that I believe in? Yes we are all the creators, the gods of our own unique world views and belief systems. But one mans world view or belief system is not that of another, there are many, and that is the way it should be - on the LHP Truth is not the province of just one person. We all have within our own unique self an individual Truth which defines who and what we Are as singular identities.

I hope this helps... :D

Xeper em Ma'at.
/Adramelek\

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
(On magick)

No, because it incorrectly assumes that all spellcraft is for personal gain, specifically personal pleasure. This is simply not the case. Spellcraft can be done for any number of purposes, not all of which are self-serving or have hedonistic goals.

Of course you can argue ad nauseum that all human behavior is self-serving, but this is a non-falsifiable hypothesis; I'm not a fan of wasting my time on that idea.

Orias

Left Hand Path
Its just a chip in a bag of chips.

Regarding all of the other apparently meaningful quotes regarding magic.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
(On magick)

Here's a question: who says everyone who has an idea of how the world should be is in it for selfish pleasure?

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Magic isn't about how the world should be, its about how the individual makes it.

Whether or not its selfish is actually irrelevant. It doesn't matter.

I don't disagree, I'm just aquestioning the quote's speaker's level of understanding and depth of thought.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
(On magick)

Depends on whose definition of magic you're using. Crowley's view was absolutely selfish. Others see magic as a form of participation in the natural arising of phenomena, like a rain dance both causing and simply heralding the arrival of moisture.

...but as I see it, yes.