• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thong underwear for preteens?

Faint

Not long ago, the clothing chain Abercrombie & Fitch was selling/marketing thong underwear to preteen girls. Some of the underwear included the words "eye candy" or "wink wink" written on the front of the underwear.

Some parents groups successfully boycotted the clothing retailer, and thus A & F removed these products.

But do you think the parent groups were right to boycott A & F? Is it immoral to market thong underwear to little girls?

Aqualung

Tasty
I don't think any type of marketing can be "immoral." I certainly think it's immoral for anybody to wear a thong if it shows. I have no idea why anybody would wear a thong if it didn't show.

A

angellous_evangellous

Faint said:
Not long ago, the clothing chain Abercrombie & Fitch was selling/marketing thong underwear to preteen girls. Some of the underwear included the words "eye candy" or "wink wink" written on the front of the underwear.

Some parents groups successfully boycotted the clothing retailer, and thus A & F removed these products.

But do you think the parent groups were right to boycott A & F? Is it immoral to market thong underwear to little girls?
Were they right? Sure, and it is great for everyone. Companies make money by providing what people want. If A & F could make money on it, they would still sell it despite any boycotts.

I don't want my little girls to be objects of any kind of marketing. :D

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
This seemed to me part of the trend towards sexualizing children at a younger and younger age.

Faint

Sunstone said:
This seemed to me part of the trend towards sexualizing children at a younger and younger age.
Out of curiosity, in what other ways have you seen this trend?

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
I can't imagine anybody buying thongs for their pre-teen, unless they are warped to begin with. If no one buys them, they will go out of business. I think women and I mean women, not kids, buy them to make themselves feel sexier. But for someone to even try and make a pre-teen sexy, IMO, is sick.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
jeffrey said:
I can't imagine anybody buying thongs for their pre-teen, unless they are warped to begin with. If no one buys them, they will go out of business. I think women and I mean women, not kids, buy them to make themselves feel sexier. But for someone to even try and make a pre-teen sexy, IMO, is sick.
Took the words right out of my mouh...

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
Faint said:
Out of curiosity, in what other ways have you seen this trend?
You've never noticed that there are seasons where it's almost impossible to buy clothing from major retailers that make a 5 year old actually look like a 5 year old? Some years there's nothing in the childrens section that isn't also in the adult section, which in the case of men isn't that big an issue, but I really don't see the need to dress a little girl in a micro mini and a top with a plunging neckline. For starters, the whole plunging neckline thing is designed to show cleavage...anyone seen a little girl with cleavage? It's questionable to say the least.
I also saw a girl sometime last year who was wearing a very tight T-shirt with 'Boy Toy' printed on the front. If she was any older than 9-10, I'll eat my hat. :areyoucra

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
Aqualung said:
I don't think any type of marketing can be "immoral." I certainly think it's immoral for anybody to wear a thong if it shows. I have no idea why anybody would wear a thong if it didn't show.
Actually, they can be very comfortable, and they do away with the dreaded VPL. (visible panty line)

Aqualung

Tasty
Quoth_The _Raven said:
Actually, they can be very comfortable, and they do away with the dreaded VPL. (visible panty line)
Oh, well if they want to wear thongs, then, that's fine, so long as nobody sees them.

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
Quoth_The _Raven said:
You've never noticed that there are seasons where it's almost impossible to buy clothing from major retailers that make a 5 year old actually look like a 5 year old? Some years there's nothing in the childrens section that isn't also in the adult section, which in the case of men isn't that big an issue, but I really don't see the need to dress a little girl in a micro mini and a top with a plunging neckline. For starters, the whole plunging neckline thing is designed to show cleavage...anyone seen a little girl with cleavage? It's questionable to say the least.
I also saw a girl sometime last year who was wearing a very tight T-shirt with 'Boy Toy' printed on the front. If she was any older than 9-10, I'll eat my hat. :areyoucra
Then there are the midriff tops, plunging backs and see-through lace... :areyoucra It's more than a little off.

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
Aqualung said:
I don't think any type of marketing can be "immoral." I certainly think it's immoral for anybody to wear a thong if it shows.
In poor taste, certainly - but immoral? I don't think so. And sometimes it happens entirely by accident...I've had it happen if I'm wearing low-slung pants and I bend over/squat down, and my underwear wasn't sitting low enough. In that scenario, which is less offensive - a peek of undies, or a peek of bum crack? :biglaugh:
Aqualung said:
I have no idea why anybody would wear a thong if it didn't show.
As has been pointed out, they can be quite comfortable. I personally wear g-strings 98% of the time, and I'm quite horrified if they show outside my clothes. In fact, even on the rare occasions where I have been in a situation where it was appropriate for someone else to see me in my g-string (sans pants), I felt a bit embarrassed at standing there with my bum hanging out.

It brings up an interesting question about the current trend in women's underwear. When I do go shopping for undies (and I've noticed this in briefs as well as g-strings), it's rather difficult to find some these days that aren't either covered in provocative writing, have sparkly jewels/sequins stuck on them, or are such loud colours that you'd be hard pressed not to see them through everything but a pair of jeans. What has brought about this trend of undies that are made to be seen? It honestly doesn't seem like much of a fashion statement to me... :areyoucra

Bishka

Veteran Member
I think thongs are disgusting, personally. I don't like them and they don't cover enough of me to feel comfortable wearing them. I don't care if others are wearing them, but they should not be marketing them to young girls. I think older women can and should wear them as much as they want, but marketing to young girls is bringing out their sexuality, and at that age, it isn't very wise.

john63

titmouse
Quoth_The _Raven said:
I cannot imagine anything crammed up the crack of my *** being comfortable.

Bishka

Veteran Member
john63 said:
I cannot imagine anything crammed up the crack of my *** being comfortable.
John!!! You are back. Welcome back. :) I agree with you on that. LOL. Someone desceribed it once as falling on a tightrope.