• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This years flu strain

We Never Know

No Slack
I put this in politics because somehow politics always gets drawn in lol

So anyways I get this email from my insurance..
In short.. 'Last year’s flu strain is not this year’s, its a different strain. Get your vaccine now'

Well no kidding. It never is the same strain as far as I am aware lol

Friend of Mara

Ah. America. Land of the free to constantly question establish science because multibillion dollar industry titans have paid misinformation campaigns to make an extra penny and they slowly destabilize decades long data based health standards during the worst pandemic in living memory.

Remember when anti-vaxxers were all the crystal holding essential oil hipster white liberals out west? They believed in good vibrations and herbal tea over medicine. Now its been replaced by the opposite side of the political spectrum. Wild.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I put this in politics because somehow politics always gets drawn in lol

So anyways I get this email from my insurance..
In short.. 'Last year’s flu strain is not this year’s, its a different strain. Get your vaccine now'

Well no kidding. It never is the same strain as far as I am aware lol
Some people don't know. It's an easy inclusion to help inform people.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Some people don't know. It's an easy inclusion to help inform people.
I was going to react with surprise to this. Like, it’s the flu, there’s been differing strains for like 100 years.
But given the amount of disinformation I’ve seen over the last couple of years, maybe I should be happy the information is being distributed. Dang!

Our vaccine/booster ad campaigns are annoying and nagging more than anything else. Part of me wonders if that approach is due to our laziness.

I mean I would hope that vaccines (for adults) is at least a cheaper option in the States? If not at least free for the kids??

For us it’s all more or less covered by Medicare up until we’re 18. The “optional” vaccines post legal adulthood sometimes cost a small fee. Unless there’s some kind of “pandemic like” issue where docs want everyone to get jabbed.
I got a few “optional” jabs with the fee waived for that exact reason lol

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I'm getting my RSV shot this week, my Covid booster next week and my flu shot early next month. People are free to choose to get sick and some will even emulate the guy who died from rabies because he refused the cure.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I've got nothing important to add so I'm just going to share the factoid that all influenza is zoonotic to between humans and animals but one animal that can carry and transmit to humans fewer people realize are many in the weasel family. (Infl A and B.)

People have given and recieved the flu virus with their pet ferrets. And a few cases of sea otters too.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I was going to react with surprise to this. Like, it’s the flu, there’s been differing strains for like 100 years.
But given the amount of disinformation I’ve seen over the last couple of years, maybe I should be happy the information is being distributed. Dang!

Our vaccine/booster ad campaigns are annoying and nagging more than anything else. Part of me wonders if that approach is due to our laziness.

I mean I would hope that vaccines (for adults) is at least a cheaper option in the States? If not at least free for the kids??

For us it’s all more or less covered by Medicare up until we’re 18. The “optional” vaccines post legal adulthood sometimes cost a small fee. Unless there’s some kind of “pandemic like” issue where docs want everyone to get jabbed.
I got a few “optional” jabs with the fee waived for that exact reason lol
I've found even if it seems basic it's best not to assume what people know. For whatever reason, some people won't know and it doesn't hurt to include that with reminder PSAs.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm getting my fall flu & the next Covid shots as soon as they're available.
The RSV vaccine is ready now.
And I recently got my 2nd shingles shot.

Tinkerpeach

I'm getting my fall flu & the next Covid shots as soon as they're available.
The RSV vaccine is ready now.
And I recently got my 2nd shingles shot.
Lol, your body is now reliant on that crap.

You no longer have any natural immunity meaning your body is completely susceptible to any of that stuff once a new strain comes along

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Lol, your body is now reliant on that crap.

You no longer have any natural immunity meaning your body is completely susceptible to any of that stuff once a new strain comes along
Please, find some valid sources that support that. From my understanding vaccines work with the body. You don't get the flu because your body is already making the antibodies that it started making due to the vaccine. Or as in the case of covid, if you get the disease it is less severe than it would have been otherwise. By the way, knowledge of this goes back to the smallpox virus and the vaccines we had against it. One of the last people to catch smallpox before it was annihilated was a health worker that treated smallpox victims. That worker survived and it was probably largely due to the vaccine.

Vaccines are never perfect. But the give the body a head start in defending itself.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I last got a flu shot while I was in the Air Force back in 1986. Do you guys think I need a booster yet?

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Going to get my flu shot in the next week. I'm not (currently) in the categories being offered the covid booster (a work colleague has got it) otherwise I'd have it. I trust science for my physical health, rather than conspiratorial ignorant bollards.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Only if you are ever in the vicinity of other people.
Why is that?

Every year I was in the Air Force, I was required to get a flu shot. Each year, I was down with the flu. Since 1987, I've and the flu twice.

I don't see the logic in getting the flu to protect others in my vicinity.